Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Which singletrack has the biggest view in Europe?
  • jhw
    Free Member

Question says it all really

No vague allusions: have to specify location 🙂

Something in the Haute Savoie or Valais surely? I’ll see what people suggest and then give mine…

crofts2007
    Free Member

Top of the XC climb at Innerleithin?
    Part of Mach 3 route?
    Definitely not the middle of Sherwood Pines!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Carn Ban Mor? I have seen further from the tops of Scottish mountains than I have from the Alps due to air clarity. Depends what you mean by biggest view anyway

Is this a big view?
    [/url] 17 Stitched West from above Kinlochleven by TandemJeremy, on Flickr[/img]

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Perhaps not the biggest but quite impressive, not my photo but I’ve ridden the trail, it’s above Lago D’Idro in Italy. Squeeky bum time.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Top of Ben Lomond.

mrmo
    Free Member

What do you mean by biggest view, do you mean furthest. In which case from cleeve hill I can see well in to the welsh mountains on a clear day. I doubt this is the furthest but I suspect the answer may not be as obvious as some think.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Watch Vast. Includes trails with great views overlooking the huge Aletsch Gletscher

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Heading over the St Bernard Pass back towards Verbier etc (yes, that little ribbon of trail is rather good!)

Top of Jackass?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Bocca Di Fobia descent from Tremalzo Garda.
    Not my pics but was there this time last week 😥

jhw
    Free Member

Nice. Sweet photos.

I’m sure there’s bigger stuff and my experience is limited, but some of the mainstream stuff at the top end of the Chx valley. And it’s easy to find too. There’s one trail near Finhaut where at the top you can see the whole Mont Blanc/Aiguilles Rouges range, then you begin the descent with that behind you and before long you can see right across the Valais, to the Pigne d’Arolla, maybe even the Matterhorn on a clear day.

A trail where you can potentially see the entire length of the Haute Route surely has to take the cake…

doug_basqueMTB.com

For big mountain views I always like the Pyrenees:

South Pyrenees Roadtrip by basqueMTB – mountain biking holidays, on Flickr

Of course not all great views / big views are in the mountains though! (Excuse the quality, it’s a still from a video!)

BasqueMTB – The Video by basqueMTB – mountain biking holidays, on Flickr

RealMan
    Free Member

Furthest view would have to be something like Ventoux, as there’s no other mountains to get in the way. Don’t know what the trails are like though.

jhw
    Free Member

“Of course not all great views / big views are in the mountains though! (Excuse the quality, it’s a still from a video!)”

is that above/near San Sebastian?

winterfold
    Free Member

great pix cheers

doug_basqueMTB.com

jhw, it’s really close to San Sebastian, you can ride into SS from there in a few hours.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Surrey – top of Holmbury 😛

England – View down warnscale beck over Buttermere

Europe
    Signal Forbes over the Mer de glace up towards the Grand Jorasses

uplink
    Free Member

Some of the views from the trails in Utah & Colorado were definitely BIG

molgrips
    Free Member

I would say big = the most stuff. So the most area of actual visible ground…

jhw
    Free Member

Holmbury at dawn – nice. Didn’t know you could get cloud carpets like that here. Was that taken in early spring?

cynic-al
    Free Member

That Howies one from the competition must have the greatest amount of radians of view (IYKWIM)

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Surrey – top of Holmbury

That’s one of my favourite mountain biking views, that. You can just about see That London on a clear day too, which is always a bonus. 🙂 Plus you can also see the sea too, so it’s a view that’s got loads to enjoy in it.

From Conwy mountain, you can just see Blackpool tower and the Lake District. That’s another lovely view.

Liking some of those proper serious mountain views though.

robgarrioch

Domestic suggestions only from me… Didn’t have the time / wherewithall to take a proper pic, so believe there’s a lot more could’ve been in this pic of Torridons Annat descent

Decent view above Loch Maree, looking down to Fionn Loch last year

Not very big I s’pose, but a reasonable sense of scale here in Gods very own Pentlands 🙂

jhw
    Free Member

I mean “big” in a subjective “OMG” sense, rather than an objective distance criterion. E.g. a view of 4 miles over the Matterhorn and the Gornergrat glacier is a “bigger” view than one of 50 miles to…Rotherhithe.

mos

Either looking from or at Stoodley Pike. Obviously.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Can you ride a bike up to Lac Blanc?

grum
    Free Member

I’ve not biked there but the views around Zermatt are pretty breathtaking.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Torridon. This picture doesn’t really do it justice

Annat descent by CaptainMainwaring1, on Flickr

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>I’ve not biked there but the views around Zermatt are pretty breathtaking.<

Yup, the Matterhorn from Enzos Hitta (Findeln)is a pretty mesmerising view. And surely one of the best ‘pub stops’ in the world… However, despite the scale of the Alps the West coast of Scotland really has it afaic e.g Arisaig out to Eigg, Rum, Muck & Canna on a glorious sunset evening really does take a bit of beating.

molgrips
    Free Member

One of the biggest views I have ever seen is from the top of Snowdon. On a super clear evening (although I was not biking) we could see down into Mid Wales.. hundreds of pink-topped hills stretching away.. we could clearly see all round Cardigan Bay, the Lleyn in clear relief, Northern Ireland, Morcambe Bay, the Lakes, Isle of Man.. truly gobsmacking and I’ve seen some views in my time. And since you can quite happily ride up there I suppose it counts 🙂

Sanny
    Free Member

Seconds on Grand St Bernard Pass as well as Emossen Dam – lovely jubbly.

The Lakes of a summer evening – sun setting overlooking Skiddaw is always a nice view.

Lairig Ghru first thing on a sunny day with the early morning mist.

B.A. Nana – top photo!

Some of the views Doug exposed us to (so to speak) out in Spain were pretty fantastic.

jhw
    Free Member

Good call on the Lac Blanc but it’s closed to mountain bikers as it’s inside the park, and I heard that one’s actually enforced. And might be a bit rocky anyway. Does anyone know any different?

I think this one (of a nearby Lac, I forget which, begins with a C) won or was a candidate for wildlife photo of the year:

kcr
    Free Member

Might be an overlap with this thread: Show us your big sky riding photos

Sorry – wilfully ignoring the European criteria in the original question!

jhw
    Free Member

Basically I do this whenever I need a new desktop!

jameso

KCR, where is that pic?

You can see pretty much the same views as in the Lac Blanc pics when riding along the top of and then descending from the Brevent in Chamonix.

snaps
    Free Member

I’ve not biked there but the views around Zermatt are pretty breathtaking.

+1
    We spent a week in the Zermatt valley in October 2008 & it was stunning:

kcr
    Free Member

It’s the Edge Loop in Fruita.

jameso

thanks.. added to the ride wish-list.

GRAEMEJONES

Just one of the dozens of fantastic views available around Verbier.

Houns

Top of the Col Du Clent puts all those above ^^ to shame

ir12daveor
    Free Member

I’d say around Zermatt or Bettmeralp in Switzerland. As seen in Vast.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Which singletrack has the biggest view in Europe?’ is closed to new replies.