Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • which single ring holds the chain best? (32t 1×9)
  • sideshow
    Free Member

on-one budget steel?
    surly steel ring?
    works components narrow-wide?
    hope?

I’m sure I saw a post where someone had tried them all but can’t find it now.

crankrider
    Free Member

Works Components by a county mile – none of the others have n/w teeth so the chain is likely to just jump straight off.

Hope do have pictures of a n/w ring floating around so i presume this will be available soon.

If your going to get a new singe ring just get a n/w from Works, RF, etc etc… they are not that much more expensive (the works is cheaper than some) and will keep the chain on – mine is still going strong over 6 months later….

reggiegasket
    Free Member

what he said.

Northwind

Narrow/wide is a proper gamechanger- by itself keeps the chain on better than a normal single ring + chain device

Not neccesarily Works but you know, made in the UK, first to the party (well, after SRAM), better priced than most of the competition, all that good stuff…

danielgroves
    Free Member

Hope do have pictures of a n/w ring floating around so i presume this will be available soon.

They’re out now (have been for a week or two), and are stocked by Wiggle.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What everyone else said, I’ve a stainless chainring on my SS though (no chance of it coming off), it’s wearing infitesimaly slowly compared to the alloy (hope and e.13) ones before it.

Which begs the question, how well will narrow/wide work after a few months when the chains got some more twist and the rings a bit worn?

ska-49
    Free Member

Get the Works N/W. Cheapest (not sure how?), works well and produced in the UK. Also super fast postage and a nice chap behind the company.
    Mine has lasted fine in the 7+ months that I’ve had it.

shortcut

Raceface Narrow Wide or Hope retainer could be added to your list along with the Wolf Tooth.

None of the others are up to the same standard.

Yetiman
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – I’ve been running a 30t Wolftooth NW ring since July last year and I’ve been pleasantly surprised by how little it has worn. I did wonder if was down to the way the NW ring grips the chain, possibly reducing movement between the two, which might also be reducing wear, but even if that isn’t correct it’s lasting well, and still doing the job it’s supposed to. I’ve only dropped the chain once, and that was back in August when it was fairly new.

nixon
    Free Member

I run 1×9 with a Blackspire Mono Veloce, and have never dropped a chain since putting it on. Slow wearing as well and not particularly expensive.

Northwind

thisisnotaspoon – Member

Which begs the question, how well will narrow/wide work after a few months when the chains got some more twist and the rings a bit worn?

Mine works the same as it did when new, it’s not been ridden a vast amount by some standards, but some properly horrible conditions through winter (heh, and summer, enduro racing at innerleithen has its own microclimate). No sign of loss of performance at all.

TBH I think there’s a small lack in the design, the cutaways for the thin teeth have a square edge which creates a wee shelf for mud, if that was scallopped off it’d probably help with bad weather riding. But it’s a tiny thing.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Are any of you stockpiling Works Components rings pending the upcoming SRAM IP licensing? 🙂

davieg
    Free Member

No 30T options from Works or Hope. Are we supposedly fitter and hardier than our colonial cousins given that Race Face offer a 30T option?

Is this a case of MTFU or push!

jekkyl
    fr0sty125
    Free Member

If I was buying a 32t I would buy works component.

On longevity have a look at the response to my question when I asked if his NW ring still worked…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/anyone-running-sram-xx1-yet/page/3

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘which single ring holds the chain best? (32t 1×9)’ is closed to new replies.