Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • which shirt collar for a black tie event?
  • roper
    Free Member

What is the preferred shirt collar for a fairly formal black tie event? Fold down or winged? If fold down do the buttons still need to be hidden?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

White evening shirt with a with a marcella collar, bib and double cuffs, with a turn-down collar (not a wing-collar), worn with cufflinks and studs. A plain silk shirt with buttons may be worn. A fly-fronted shirt, where the buttons are concealed, is acceptable.

If you’re going to do it, do it properly!

Few get ups look as good as black tie when done properly.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Fold down – wing is for white tie only. Marcella front, studs, double cuff.

Simple and classic – works every time.

Wing collars can be saved for the 1980s and Americans with their tuxedos!

Opps, I wondered where the captain was!!

dragon
    Free Member

As above – fold down

Oh and make sure you tie your bow tie, no clip-ons.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Go for wings if you like them. Little diamanté stud in one corner of the dickie-bow. Matching diamanté decorations on the buttons. Patent shoes. You’ll look mint.

wrightyson
    Free Member

^^^ha ha^^^

jsync

Fold down but had tied for FTW

JulianA
    Free Member

Shocked to have found a split infinitive on the Debrett website. Standards are slipping.

Oh, and do people really wear clip on bow ties? I thought they were novelty items.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh, and do people really wear clip on bow ties? I thought they were novelty items.

Doormen sometimes. Can you get someone to film it as you sneer at a few of them?

JulianA
    Free Member

I appreciate that sometimes clip on ties are necessary for safety reasons, but otherwise…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Otherwise, yes, just worn by people who have no consideration for what other people might think of their formal dress sense. Which is a travesty. What a pity for the human condition that they exist at all. 😐

scaredypants

Little diamanté stud in one corner of the dickie-bow. Matching diamanté decorations on the buttons

Only really works if you have a tooth to match, DD

roper
    Free Member

Thanks for the help with the shirts. Regarding the tie, I prefer to tie my own. I’m not so bothered what other people do.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Fold down shirt with the top two buttons missing, bow tie left at home, desert boots with colourful laces. Jacket to be worn for the first two hours, trousers optional after midnight.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘which shirt collar for a black tie event?’ is closed to new replies.