Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Which Shimano disc brakes? Deore or SLX ? Who's cheap?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Finally had enough of my Avid Elixir’s although they feel great and when working are great, I just recently changed the pads and have just done a 2 hour ride pushing again an almost locked wheel…was not fun. The only way to sort would be a re-bleed and Im not even going there on Avids !

So which to go for Deore, or does SLX really give you some thing Deore doesn’t?

Also Im sure I saw a thread a few weeks back when some one was selling them silly cheap, at the time I thought mine would be good, but now I wish I had got a pair!

Cheapest I have seen so far is £69 for Deore or £99 for SLX (F&R) but I am sure they were cheaper elsewhere?

Oh and for a Giant Anthem 2012, I assume they are post mount?

Ta

monkeychild
    Free Member

I’ve got the newer style degree on my Slasa and to be honest I don’t think I would pay for something more expensive. They are bloody ace.

PJ266
    Free Member

Yeah to be fair to deore they are very good for the money. Slx are a little shinier but I think I’d rather have £30.

They are post mount calipers.

Cheapest I could find was £63, but they didn’t come with olives and inserts, so actually came to the same price once I’d bought them!

gogg
    Free Member

£69 and in stock at my LBS with a retail pack including olives & inserts along with free UK P&P.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Bought some Deore ones for £69. At least now should have no more hassles

Lester
    Free Member

I bought both
    The sox have the lever adjustment and the Devore aren’t as nice a quality finish.
    But I sent them back as the hydraulic routing was the opposite way around to the sox and different than was shown on the stock photo

Scamper
    Free Member

Got both and think the latest deore 615 look nicer (black enamel). difficult to differentiate between performance as running different disc sizes, but deore feel less grabby.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

My Deore 615’s arrived today from gogg’s link above in shiny Shimano boxes with spare olive etc..

Bargain price!

Will get them on the bike tomorrow night 😀

gogg
    Free Member

Dunc, amazing how a small independent can match the machines that are CRC isn’t it?

Heck, I reckon the delivery was probably quicker all things considered.

chrisylad24
    Free Member

Hey gogg you should get commission from that shop as I purchased a set last week delivered in 2 days with all the parts to shorten hoses dead easy aswell ,really nice brakes look and feel much more expensive than they are

granny_ring

They’ve sold out now!! Mate was looking for some.

mattbee

Deore on one bike, slx on another. Only reason I like the slx on my Bandit is the moveable hose routing at the calliper makes it easier to tidy the routing. Notice no difference in use.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Finally had enough of my Avid Elixir’s although they feel great and when working are great, I just recently changed the pads and have just done a 2 hour ride pushing again an almost locked wheel…was not fun. The only way to sort would be a re-bleed and Im not even going there on Avids !

Good idea. I persevered with my elixirs and in the end after a terrible ride i ditched them and ordered some slx off rosebikes. Never looked back. I used to eat pads on the avids.. There’s still loads of pad life left on the slx

gogg
    Free Member

Chris, it’s my LBS, so if they succeed, I have somewhere to shop locally rather than buying from the behemoths like chain/wiggle/evans et al.

Previously it was over an hour round trip to my next nearest. The curse of rural living (but great rides on my doorstep).

Granny, they were showing in stock when I checked 5 minutes ago?

granny_ring

Ok ta, no stock when I looked this am cheers.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Been out for 1st ride tonight, and I’m impressed! Bit grabby compared to Elixirs but great having zero brake rub,and brakes that work brilliantly for £70 is just amazing these days when most things are a rip off.

chrisylad24
    Free Member

hey gogg next time your in there tell them there price and service are second to none ,going to keep on eye on there prices when I need stuff could well be my not so local lbs 🙂

gogg
    Free Member

Chris,
    I told Pete to have a look on here.

I asked him why they show as in stock/ out of stock. Apparently they run live stock levels, so when they’re in “they’re in” unlike some bigger retailers.

iain1775
    Free Member

I picked some up yesterday as well so cheers Gogg
    Not had any email confirmation or anything though is that normal (got PayPal email only)

chrisylad24
    Free Member

I had no email confirmation as such just PayPal ordered on the Sunday arrived on the tuesday

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Which Shimano disc brakes? Deore or SLX ? Who's cheap?’ is closed to new replies.