Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • which Shimano 9 speed chain ??
  • craig1975
    Free Member

Been using XTR chains for a couple of years.. but i seem to be going through around 3 a year on each bike which a have two off.. its getting a bit expensive.. not to mention the other drive train parts ive worn out…

so my question is… what is the most economical Shimano chain ?? weight ver. ware and tare ver. cost ??

elaineanne
    Free Member

wow 3 chains per year !, im still using my original shimano chain that my bike came with (1 year and 3 months)…still going strong (touch wood) :mrgreen: yep i do ride alot too…

Three_Fish
    Free Member

KMC X9.93 is every bit as good as the XTR, and they come with the quick link for easy on/off. CRC do them for £15 (link) but you'll probably pick them up on eBay for a few quid less.

craig1975
    Free Member

Ive looked at the kmc but yet to try one..

Ive worn out drive trains on both bikes this year due to not checking chain stretch.. so last time around I bought my self a chain checker.. Ive just checked my chains, only to find 2 stretched chains, 4 months old..

so i thought seeing as the STW massive have a super wealth of knowledge on all things bikes.. id ask for your thoughts on my origonal post ??

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Well, the XT/Ultegra is the only other "Shimano" chain – all their other chains are manufactured by KMC. So there's your choice: XT or XTR.

bommer
    Free Member

Cheap sram one. A chain's a chain, but you get a free powerlink

_tom_
    Free Member

Not had good experience with shimano chains, have been riding a KMC 9spd one pretty much every day since easter and doesn't seem to be showing any signs of weakness or stretching yet.

craig1975
    Free Member

a KMC it is… thanks

Northwind

You do get a powerlink with KMC as well. I've fannied around with various chains and decided their X9.93 is the one for me, cheap as chips and doesn't just bend instantly if you chainsuck like the X9SL or XTR chains. Buy cheap, suck up the enormous weight penalty of around 40 grams, and replace more often and your more expensive parts will last longer.

craig1975
    Free Member

KMC-X9-93 Just bought two of these at what seams a very good price.. thanks for the info 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘which Shimano 9 speed chain ??’ is closed to new replies.