Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Which Sella Italia Saddle ?
  • simonm
    Free Member

Looking for a light weight saddle, around the 160g to 180g mark, I’ve seend the Sella Italia SLR, any ride them and comment on there comfort ? Currently I hava a madison flux thats comfy.

Cheers.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve a C2 on my road bike, IMO lightweight saddles are a false economy, any weight savings going to be dwarfed by the loss of speed if you’re uncomfortable.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

If you want ‘comfort’, go for the SLR XP…. have one on my nice road bike, fits me fine.

rootes1

selle italia also do loan saddles that you can properly try before you buy..

well worth while doing before parting with cash…

simonm
    Free Member

thats intresting, thanks for that Rootes.

fasthaggis

Yup,an SLR XC on my best bike.
    It’s perfect for me.
    Had it for over 2 years now, with lots of miles.

The Flux looks quite different in shape.
    I have always had Flites before, so it didn’t feel like a big change.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

I have always had Flites before, so it didn’t feel like a big change

Actually, that’s a good point – I also went for SLRs after using Flites before as it seemed the logical choice. Thankfully, it was a happy ending.

fasthaggis

Good call Rootes
    I did that Selle ‘try before you buy’ with my road bike saddle.
    Great idea ,although you would have to be more careful tooling around off road ,as they did state that it had to be returned unmarked to get any exchange .

JonEdwards
    Free Member

SLR 135g on most of my bikes. Flites on the rest.

Pretty damn comfortable for me. Done a few centuries on the road bike with one, no problems.

As ever though, it’s all down to the shape of yer arse what’s comfortable and what’s not

stanley

SLRs with the cut-out on all of my bikes.

Beware; some of the newer ones are covered in Lorica. It is meant to be tuff…… it isn’t.
    One graze against something rough and it will disintegrate. The older ones used to just scuff whilst lasting forever.

Learnt at a considerable cost!

rootes1

yer by using Specialized, Fizik and Selle Italia demo saddles..

I settled on a Fizik Aliante as this fitted me nicely

you can otherwise waste loads of monkey if you keep buying lots of unsuitable saddles.

I learnt from the demo’s that I like quite a rounded saddle rather than the more fashionable flat saddles – hence none of the specialized saddles were that comfy

Si

njee20
    Free Member

I found SLRs perfectly good, if anything more so than XPs, as they had more give.

Then tried a Specialized Toupe and that was vastly superior to both!

However, they don’t last very long! I used to wear through the cover on an SLR within a year, and snapped 3 Toupes over a couple of years (although they were all warrantied). Then switched to a Phenom SL, which is heavier (more like an SLR XC), but really comfy.

Also… some recommendations above are based on road bikes, which isn’t really relevant, much less weight on your arse! Go with the demo saddle option, but I wouldn’t go back to Selle now.

brakes
    Free Member

I have two selle san marco SKN saddles
    after being a big WTB fan, with a bit of cush, I really like these now – on both the road bike and MTB
    take a bit of breaking in mind

organic355
    Free Member

Ive got a Selle Italia SLR XC Gel Flow, 172g and pretty comfy too!

turboferret

SLR’s on all but one of my bikes, work fine. Edges are a bit fragile due to the shape, but I don’t mind mine looking scruffy, so not all that fussed.

Cheers, Rich

fasthaggis

Also… some recommendations above are based on road bikes, which isn’t really relevant, much less weight on your arse!

Sorry , I am a bit thick,could you explain that bit please 😕

brakes
    Free Member

on a road bike you support more of your weight with your arms

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, so you can get away with a firmer saddle.

Your sit bones also roll inwards as you lean forward, so you can get away with/will often find a narrower saddle better on a road bike too.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Depends what sort of saddle you like – I’ve always used flites one on an mtb, slr kit carbonia on one road bike and an slr c64 on another. The c64 is crazy light at under 80g.

njee20
    Free Member

I had a C64 for a while, it was alright, but really slippery, I got annoyed with it.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve not had any slippery saddle issues and I’ve been using it for about 3 years. It’s not that shiny now though.

njee20
    Free Member

It did depend on which shorts I used too, sure I’d have got used to it, but it just didn’t feel right, and was ludicrously expensive! Was going to try another one when On One knocked them out for £100, but missed them.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Was going to try another one when On One knocked them out for £100, but missed them.

I didn’t 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

SLRs here, the ones with the cut out. I’m always on the look out for the older models with the good quality leather covering. The pukka leather ones are very grippy so you stay put when you’re giving it some.
    I was also a Flite user since 1990, these are better though IMO.
    I also used the SLR for XC and CX racing, never bothered with the XC specific one though.

njee20
    Free Member

The pukka leather ones are very grippy so you stay put when you’re giving it some.

Until they fall apart, or was that just me!? Used to wear through the nose and the wings in no time!

oldgit
    Free Member

It must be you? That said I was given some restoration fluid by a leather repair company years ago and I’m still using it.

saleem
    Free Member

I’ve a carbonio 150g for sale

onandon
    Free Member

I went from a SLR to and SLR flow to a Teknologika Flow to a Toupe 143.
    the Toupe was the best of the lot ,However the best of the Selle saddles was the Teknologika flow. Sold mine for £100 – always regretted that.

dukeduvet

I have been using an slr xp for a couple of years now, it is fairly comfy for shorter rides but Im quite bony so after a while find it a bit hard.

If you are interested I can sell you mine for a much reduced price on new so you can give one a go without paying full price. Weighs just under 180gms and good condition bar some rubbing on edges. Plenty of life in it yet. Email in profile if interested.

[/url] Picture 017 by Ian Dyson, on Flickr[/img]

hilldodger
    Free Member

1/2 price at planet X/On One
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/SASISLRCONT/selle-italia-slr-team-contador-edition
    also good prices on other models…..

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Leather SLR XP 180g on the road bike. Lorica SLR T1 on the mtb.

I’ve found the lorica has worn really well myself. T1 has a good big fat nose for climbing – recommended

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Which Sella Italia Saddle ?’ is closed to new replies.