Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Which Satnav
  • pingu66
    Free Member

I have been used to satnavs built into cars for the last few years but my new car does not have one so need to but a standalone unit. I had a TomTom years ago when it was quite simple but now looking at which to buy there are so many, not too concerned about price but some are getting expensive.

Or do I just put Copilot on my phone?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Or do I just put Copilot on my phone?

Yep. Or use the mapping it comes with. Apple maps satnav is the best I’ve ever used, it lacks all the trip computer bells and whistles but it works better than my Garmin satnav.

pingu66
    Free Member

At £20 I was thinking even if its pish Copilots worth a punt against minimum £100 for a satnav.

Cougar

Nah. CoPilot’s great, well worth £20.

nano
    Free Member

Had co pilot in my company vehicle..

Bought my own Tom Tom

Nuff said 🙂

Cougar

I paid 300 quid for a TomTom.

I then paid 20 quid for CoPilot when my TomTom got stolen.

“Nuff said.”

Wholeheartedly agree that TomTom is better than CoPilot. But ten+ times better? No.

nano
    Free Member

On a cost per use basis I would still take the Tom Tom..

If you’re only going to use sat nav occasionally then I think they are all much the same.. Needing to find 40-50 different locations within the M25 every day the additional cost of a Tom Tom is justified when I compare using both side by side..

First thing we were told on joining even though the co vehicles are co pilot equipped was “buy a Tom Tom”

In the interests of balance; other sat nav devices are available 😉

pingu66
    Free Member

These days its only occasional use. At most 2 or 3 times a week so as has been said on a cost per use basis its worth it.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

A Garmin unit with Lifetime map and ‘safety camera’ updates

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Tom Tom with traffic thing (or whatever it’s called)

It’s guided me around numerous traffic nightmares without a glitch for the last few months with its built in SIM card. I used to think youhD to connect them to your mobile phone!

Subscription service costs £40 a year but first year was included..

I drive all over the UK with work so that service is really useful to me.

Cost £140 I think.

Previous sat nav was a tom tom, no issues, one before that was a PDA with Tom tom software, one before that was a borrowed Nav Man, it was total s***e.

CountZero

At £20 I was thinking even if its pish Copilots worth a punt against minimum £100 for a satnav.

This.
    All the reviews of TomTom when it came out were pretty poor, so I went for CoPilot, which was thirty quid cheaper. Works fine, although it refuses to show cross-country routes, where I already know part of the way, preferring to give a route that uses all main roads and adds miles to the journey. Apple Maps will do this, but if you need the return journey, or other destinations, and there’s no network, you’re screwed. As I found on holiday last year, where I couldn’t get a data connection within five or six miles of where I was staying.
    Thankfully I had CoPilot. 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I used tom tom all over the UK up until I left a couple of years ago. Solid, reliable & easy to use.

Never got round to updating it in Tassie as there is not much point but did for my last couple of trips to NZ. Still brilliant the key wins for me are bigger screen, no reliance on network coverage, no interruptions and no flat phone (yes you can have it on charge all the way but it never seems to quite keep up especially when your in poor signal).

No having the potential distraction of texts/call/e-mails while driving is a good thing. It also means if the missus drives the car she has the sat nav rather than needing my phone.

In the UK the TomTom IQ was a bit of a life save when it had the info, saved me a lot of time commuting round Manchester and avoiding some of the worst of the hold ups.

thepurist

A Garmin unit with Lifetime map and ‘safety camera’ updates

Hear, hear!

russ295
    Free Member

Copilot Europe on my iphone for three years and very pleased.
    It’s also on three other phones using the same subscription.

khani
    Free Member

The mrs got a new TomTom a few months ago and it was a pita, every single gantry on the M1 and M25 was flagged as a speed camera and it beeped incessantly,
    I know there’s fixed cameras on the gantrys now but It got to the point that it just never stopped bloody beeping!
    BeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepBeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepBeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepBeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepBeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepBeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepBeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scaredypants

navfree’s good enough for me – if (very odd occasion – one ways or closed roads) it can’t take you right to the door you can at least see on the map where you need to be and how to do so

free and doesn’t need data streaming

If it’s not good enough then I suspect you’ll want tomtom

prawny

scaredypants – Member
    navfree’s good enough for me – if (very odd occasion – one ways or closed roads) it can’t take you right to the door you can at least see on the map where you need to be and how to do so

free and doesn’t need data streaming

If it’s not good enough then I suspect you’ll want tomtom

This.

I use navfree and googlemaps nav on the odd occasion when I need to. Looks like a company car is looming now, so I’m weighing up the options (tax) of going built in or not. TBH, comfy seats and a decent engine are more important.

SaxonRider

Whatever you decide, DO NOT GET A GARMIN!

I bought one 18 months ago, and that sucker has more than once tried to get me to leave the A4 just before it becomes the M4 in London, when I was heading home to Cardiff. Heading into London once, it told me there was traffic ahead, and proceeded to take me on the most traffic-laden route I have ever tried to navigate, making me an hour late. And in France, I have been able to navigate better using the Force.

I can’t remember the model number, but I’ll post it when I can. Funny thing is, a friend was just making sarcastic comments about their own satnav, and it turned out to be the same as mine.

So that has to be scientific proof that they suck.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Which Satnav’ is closed to new replies.