Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Which Sat Nav for mountain biking?
  • coolbeanz
    Free Member

I’m fed up of getting lost off the beaten track, so I think the time has cometh to invest in a bike Sat Nav.

So, what is the best choice for mountain biking?

My budget is around £150.

Cheers,

Pete

bruneep

do you have a Smartphone? Viewranger app

or buy a map if you have to use that often

coolbeanz
    Free Member

I do have a smartphone, but given its bulk, fragility and short battery life (especially when running apps), I would rather use a dedicated Sat Nav.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Do you want an os map viewer with nav to follow got type files or something to view maps for a you are here type thing.

coolbeanz
    Free Member

Hmm, I’m not really sure. I’m used to using OS paper maps, so the first option I guess. What is the general consensus for which is better?

Gnnr

I’ve got the Garmin Touring Edge, it comes with Open Source maps that are really good, even off road.

I have a copy of the Garmin OS maps on the same mini sd card, the device allows you to choose which maps it uses on the fly, the OS ones are a little hard to follow on such a small screen so normally use the open source ones.

It does full turn by turn routing etc and it’s ace, use it all the time, think I paid around £150 for it.

Great as reassuarnce when out in the hills. Although like any GPS I’ll still pack a paper map when exploring proper hill country.

coolbeanz
    Free Member

Thanks for your post Gnnr.

What’s the difference between the Garmin Edge 810 and Touring?

Esme
    Free Member

It depends on how you wish to use a GPS. I’m old old-school and like to work out my own routes, and carry a paper map (print-out of OS, not actual map). The GPS is just to show me exactly where I am. So I’m very happy with Memory Map, currently on an Adventurer 2800. I also carry the extended battery, but rarely need to use it.

But other riders like to download routes directly onto their GPS, and just follow the red line (other colours are available). Routes are not commonly available as mmo files (usually gpx), so it’s obviously harder to download routes from websites.

Loads of people will tell you that Memory Map is rubbish – but I really like it.

andyl
    Free Member

Garmin Etrex 20 when on offer at Amazon. Or look out for a Garmin 800 as you can pick them up for about £180

dudeofdoom

Edge 810s are £ 225…

The live tracking via your phone is good (Mrs DoD worries sometimes))and the Bluetooth stuff is vey nice for the extra 45 squid..

I did love my mio cyclo tbh jury’s still out on the garmin….but the osm maps are very good..

My issue with the garmin is the post code stuff which doesn’t work on the osm got the explorer maps as well though say may put on a single sd card and see what occurs.

course in real world you could just download a route to it but I do like the postcode stuff….mio was very good at routing thru cycle paths etc and I miss its simplicity.

bruceonabike
    Free Member

I use OutDoors GB
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/outdoors-great-britain-gps/id336150457?mt=8
    Which has OS maps. National parks are free and other areas are a tenner.
    Batt life on an iPhone can be a pain but I turn bluetooth, mobile data and wifi off and then it gives me a good few hours.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Which Sat Nav for mountain biking?’ is closed to new replies.