Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Which rotors work with XT brakes?
  • wl
    Free Member

Anyone know which non-Shimano rotors will work with new XT brakes? Can I use any rotor so long as the size is right for the adaptors I have? And is there any difference between different rotors, or are they all more or less the same unless I choose those fancy two-piece ones? What’s a good, cheap, XT compatible rotor? Ta.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

A rotor is just a bit of metal for the pads to grab onto. I don’t think they mind the rotor’s nationality!

MSP

I think that proper xt rotors are about as good as they get.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=39007

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ensure the pad does not go onto the “spokes” – if they do, keey an eye on them.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

IME Hope rotors are slightly thicker than Shimano, so more likely to give rubbing problems, but any will do.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I wrecked a set of pads when I tried KCNC Razors. XT rotors for me.

WiretownMan
    Free Member

Round ones for me. OTB when I tried square ones.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I run Hope Floating ones with mine.

mboy
    Free Member

I wrecked a set of pads when I tried KCNC Razors. XT rotors for me.

Those KCNC rotors are poor with certain brakes. Shimano being one of them. The pad doesn’t make full contact with the pad track, and is partly in contact with the “spokes” of the rotor. This causes mushy braking, poor performance, and very fast pad wear.

As long as you use any rotor of the correct diameter, and with a pad track deep enough, it will be fine. I’ve used Hope, Avid, Hayes and Superstar rotors fine with Shimano brakes too in the past. I just happen to think the Shimano ones are the neatest though, so use them now.

JamesD
    Free Member

My XTs have been fine with KCNC rotors for the record.

Kryton57

Mister P has an Icetec XT rotor in the classifieds today >>>>>

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-6-bolt-icetech-160mm-rotor-bnib

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Which rotors work with XT brakes?’ is closed to new replies.