Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Which roadie chain: Should I use a directional Ultegra 6700 with SRAM?
  • poppa
    Free Member

Three chain options:

105: £17
    Ultegra 6600: £20
    Ultegra 6700: £21 – directional links

Which should I get and why? It is to go with an otherwise SRAM drivetrain Does it make any difference? Previously I have used a SRAM 1030, but I think they look a bit crap and SRAM chains are expensive in general.

poppa
    Free Member

*sniff*
    😥

handyman153
    Free Member

I shall give you my opinion..

Personally i like SRAM chains, but you are right in saying they are a bit expensive for what you are getting. it would have to be the £50 chain if i was going for a SRAM.
    I would go for a high quality Shimano chain (wouldn't bother with the directional one) but i would put a SRAM power link in straight away. It seems to make everything so much easier.

Thats my view anyway…

Cheers
    Josh..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    westkipper
    Free Member

I have the directional 7900 chain and find it a big improvement on the 7800/ 6600 chains that I used to use. Quieter, lasts a wee bit longer, slightly better shifting, doesn't snap like a SRAM chain.
    I assume the ultegra one is the same chain with a different coating?
    Anyway, I'd TOTALLY go for the Shimano chain over a SRAM one, with one caution; I dunno if the 6700 comes with Shimano's quicklink-style joining method, but if it does, avoid, its not reliable – either use the old-style special pin, or use a KMC re-usable link.

poppa
    Free Member

That's kind of the way I am angling. Anyone know if there is any detectable difference between 105 and Ultegra?

handyman153
    Free Member

It will be slightly lighter, and probs shifter better.
    The price chain reaction are doing them at (£19.99) its got to be worth a go…

poppa
    Free Member

They're the directional ones at CRC though…

handyman153
    Free Member

Indeed they are, i have never used one, but from what 'West Kipper' says they seem like they are worth it.
    If i needed a new chain, i would probs give that a go.

poppa
    Free Member

Cheers for that people, I will probably give that a go then. I am assuming it will be compatible with the rest of my SRAM drivechain.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Which roadie chain: Should I use a directional Ultegra 6700 with SRAM?’ is closed to new replies.