• This topic has 25 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by dobo.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Which road tyre for club runs and sportives?
  • Kryton57

I suffered a sidewall puncture (hole) in some Ultremo ZX today. I’ve decided on something more sturdy, and the ‘net reviews seem to mean either a GP4000S or Michelin Pro4.

Thoughts on either please?

MoreCheeseGromit

I been using Continental Grand Prix 4 seasons for all round use after a recommendation from a friend who rated them.

Over 1500 km so far including a filthy wet 100 miler last weekend No issues so far.

Philby

Conti GP4000s has served me well on both club runs and sportives and have only had one puncture (due to hitting a pot hole at speed, so not tyre’s fault).

scotroutes

Another GP4000S fan here – and that’s after running the ZX’s for a while. I reckon you might find the Pro4’s OK too – and potentially a bit cheaper. FWIW, I’ll be going 25mm next time.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I’d go for the GP 4 Seasons in a 23 or 25? Much longer lasting than the Pro 4 and surprisingly light and comfy for what they offer in resilience.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Ultremo DD’s are a good step up in durability. The ZX’s are an out and out race tyre after all.

Kryton57

Aren’t they a bit wooden MTBmatt – a bit like the MTB DD’s?

TiRed

Schealbe Durano S. Commuted, sportived, raced and ridden track at Herne Hill on mine. Not cut up too badly and much better than continental in the rain.

Also have the Giant P-SLR tyres, which are very good too. No cuts in about 1000 miles. Last set is the Mavic tyres. Narrow for a 23 but seem hard wearing, and again good in the wet.

For do it all, I’d go with the Duranos. Pick a nice colour.

flap_jack
    Free Member

Did a charity ride to Rome couple of years ago. 12 of us.

About half used Gator Skins, none of whom had punctures. Everyone else did. Lots.

However, my rear tyre was completely worn out after the 1250 miles and I’m not impressed by the grip. So it depends on what you value.

mrchrispy

gp4000s fan here. 25mm all the way

fisha
    Free Member

personally, I cant see much past 25mm gatorskins – been very reliable for me over the years.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Aren’t they a bit wooden MTBmatt – a bit like the MTB DD’s?

Nope, not at all. The Duranos are the next step up, even they don’t feel wooden.
    I’m another fan of 25mm tyres.

simondbarnes

Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp. Seem grippier, more puncture resistant and possibly even faster than the GP4000s I was using previously.

anagallis_arvensis

Cont GP’s for me. Always found Gatorskins very nervous in the wet.

globalti
    Free Member

Pro 4s are excellent, much better than the old Pro 3s.

crazy-legs

Another vote for the Schwalbe Durano. Very good, quite light.

The Ultremo XZ are full on racing tyres – even out on the smooth roads of Spain mine came back with a few nicks in them, by the end of a year on British road they were totally shagged!

I’m also getting very good mileage from my Specialized Roubaix Pro tyres. Did LEJOG on them last year and they’re still going strong now, not a single puncture.

Kryton57

I’m in with 25’s that s what the ultremo’s were.

I did have Michi krylions before – which is what pro 4 endurance is – but some reports are that there are subtle changes for the worse.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I use Duranos for training, xz for racing. Love both but neither last long before they have nicks in them, especially the Duranos since they get most use.

Not a Conti fan.

mrmo
    Free Member

got a set of Pro4 SC’s and they are very nice tyres, BUT, i am averaging around 180miles a week at the moment and after a month the back is showing wear, not a huge amount, but a definite flattening in the centre. Would i buy more, yes, would i run them in the winter? not a chance. Nice ride in the summer tyres.

mooman
    Free Member

Not tried the GP400s. But seen and heard of plenty side walls blowing on them to avoid them.
    My tyre of choice is the Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp.
    Good grip, great puncture resistance. On the one occasion I did puncture – the tyre held its shape long enough to brake safely. Have had other tyres that when punctured go straight onto the rim.

mboy
    Free Member

Put 1000 or so miles in on a set of 25c folding Durano’s now, and they’re superb tyres. Not a single puncture, reasonably light, grippy in all conditions and quick enough. Everybody I know that runs Gatorskins loves how puncture proof they are, but not the ride or the lack of grip…

If you like the Ultremo ZX’s, but want something a touch more durable, there’s also the Durano S. Essentially the Durano casing with a slick tread like the Ultremo, only about 30g heavier and noticably longer lasting and more puncture proof.

tinkertaylor1981
    Free Member

Duranos here too. Good grip and no punctures so far…

bikebouy
    Free Member

GP4’s on my Parlee & GP4’s on my winter Boardman.

Masses of miles on them, best for grip/puncture resistance in the flint strew South Downs. Front 105psi and rear 110-115psi oh and 23’s.

shuhockey
    Free Member

Got to be 4seasons. Flanders x 2 and Paris Roubaix and daily commute no punctures. Get 25’s same resistance but with the extra comfort.

boblo
    Free Member

I’ve got 3500 miles on my rear Ultremo so far without, ahh, incident. They are brilliant. They will be replaced with Ultremo’s.

dobo
    Free Member

ultremo zx here, they have some nasty niks in them and a full on sidewall cut, not durable at all but they are fast and feel good and ok in the wet.
    next time maybe some durano or the gp4s or Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Which road tyre for club runs and sportives?’ is closed to new replies.