Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Which road should I take west of Glasgow to Ardrossan
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’m meeting Ton and the Sweary Northerners to catch the ferry from Ardrossan just after noon tomorrow.

Google maps give’s me two options.

M8 to Paisley then A737 to Ardrossan
    M77 – A77 to Kilmarnock to Ardrossan

I’ll miss the morning rush hour in Glagow, I’m coming from the Edinburgh end of the M8, which would be the easier, stress free route?

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/mcandtheswearynorthernersgoislandhopping

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Coming from the east I’d completely bypass glasgow centre by taking the new section of the m74 staying south of the city. Follow M77 signs for Kilmarnock then A71 (IIRC) towards Irvine. Keeps you moving on dual carriageway till you get to Irvine so fairly hassle free. Follow signs for ferry.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

M77 to killie, then over A71 to Irvine, then A78 to ardrossan, no question. Avoid A737. At that time, the M8 through Glasgow will be fine.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    steveoath
    Free Member

The 77 is limited to 50mph (average speed cams) in places. But prob quicker. Going via Paisley I think there are places where the road is one lane in each direction and can prove slow if you have a chain of “oo look at the countryside” type drivers in front.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The 77 is only a 50 south of Kilmarnock, so won’t affect.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

It’s a 50 till j5, most people seem to think 80 is the done speed

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Cheers guys M77 it is then, I know the road as far as the Killi turn for Irvine.

Google wanted to send me the other way.

STWoogle is always better than Google. 😀

matt_outandabout

Whichever gets you on the ferry soonest: Ardrossan is not a place to take in the view and culture….

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Ardrossan is not a place to take in the view and culture….

Worries about leaving the car in the harbour car park for a week 😕

The mothership is probably rougher than anything else there.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s a 50 till j5, most people seem to think 80 is the done speed

Oops, sorry EMC, forgot about that section!. I always just stick the cruise control on there, way too many unmarked traffics about there (coming off the M8 to Darnley).

Dolcered

car will be fine in the carpark. only ferry goers go up there.
    just in case, what make and model is it, & what valuables are you leaving in it 🙂

peterfile
    Free Member

M77 to killie, then over A71 to Irvine, then A78 to ardrossan, no question. Avoid A737. At that time, the M8 through Glasgow will be fine.

This.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Which road should I take west of Glasgow to Ardrossan’ is closed to new replies.