Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Which road pannier rack?
  • HansRey

hi,

i’ve got a Kinesis Crosslight with disc brakes and mounts for a pannier rack. I’d like to fit something…
    – slim
    – fairly light
    – able to support 25kg

What’s recommended besides Tubus? I’ll typically be carrying 1 or 2 pannier bags (Ortlieb).

cheers,
    rich

simondbarnes

Tortec Velocity works well on my fixed wheel bike.

boblo
    Free Member

I’ve got Tubus, old style pukka Blackburn and a few Tortec Ultralight’s. Whilst the Tubus is the gold standard, the Tortec is very good for the money and have been A1 with zero issues.

Rack

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Tortec velocity is cheap, stiff, light, and keeps your panniers fairly inboard so they don’t act like parachutes.

Tortec ultralight is good if you want to strap stuff on top of the rack though

molgrips
    Free Member

Go Outdoors have some sturdy and cheap ones, there’s a narrow deck roadie one too. Not that light though sadly.

ransos
    Free Member

The Tortec is fine but be aware that the paint rubs off the black version very easily.

kcal

I think its the Tortec Transalp I have. Light, ability to stash stuff on the rack itself, full disc clearance.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Slight hijack I’ve a disc axiom for sale if interested

TiRed

Tortec is fine, as is the Topeak DX (with MTX rack bag fixing). But my best of the three from a quality of fittings perspective is definitely my Tubus QL3 rack. Which only takes Ortlieb QL3 mountings including my briefcase.

I particularly like the MTX rack fitting and have a beam rack too, and swap the rack bag between trike and road bikes as needed.

mrchrispy

+1 on the Tortec Velocity, it my go-to pannier

csb

You need to be careful about heel hitting the pannier. The tortec one picTured looks like it would do this, especially on a compact road bike. I have an axiom rack on a road bike and the design pushes the rack backwards to avoid this. Also makes sure it clears the disc callipers. Like the tortec it leans in keeping the load compact.

schmiken

Tortes Velocity on my 4S. Love it.

chrisbrown
    Free Member

Which rack did you get? How does it look?

I’m trying to fit my Tortec Velocity onto a Crosslight Pro 6 and I’m finding that because the lower pannier mounts are on the seatstays (approx 6cm above QR skewer), the flat bit of the rack ends up 10cm above the top of the rear tyre, which looks pretty naff.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Which road pannier rack?’ is closed to new replies.