• This topic has 23 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Which Road Bike? (Canyon vs Cannondale)
  • crouchingpig
    Free Member

I’m in the market for a bit of a do it all road bike,
    I’ve owned Supersix’ in the past and they fit relatively well.

I’m torn really between a few options,

Hi-Mod Ultegra 2016 – £2k
    – lighter than the regular evo, apparently more comfortable due to slimmer carbon post, 10 arm ring vs the 8 arm ring thats on the Evo.

Regular Evo Ultegra 2016 – £1.5k
    – Cheaper but slightly more portly than the Hi-Mod

Canyon CF SL Ultimate range.
    either the £1,850 rim brake Ultegra, the flash £2,600 same bike with Reynolds Strikes or the Disc Ultegra £2,400 model.

I currently own a Giant Defy 1 Disc & I do like discs on a road bike as I dont intend to race.

Which would you go for and why?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Interesting dilemma as I a huge fan of both, if I was in the market for a new carbon road it’d be the same choice.

I’d have to for the Hi-Mod over the ‘basic’ Evo, because long after I’d forgotten (or otherwise spent) what I’d saved I’d be regretting not getting the best frame available.

But despite being a cannondale fanboi, and despite all the issues Canyon have had (documented on here) I’d get an Ultimate. The bikes seems to have had more development and has lots of nice quality finishing touches, if it comes with the integrated own-brand bar/stem that looks the mutts nuts and any aftermarket equivalent would cost a fortune, and it’s still good value.

I’d get the flash one with the Strikes because I am ambivalent about discs on nice light road bikes that will rarely see rain (and I have both disc and rim braked road bikes), and in fact I’ve just spent a similar amount on a rim braked titanium road bike after considering disced equivalents. If you’re a big enough fan of discs then that might tilt that from the Strikes to the Ultegra disc for similar money.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

As a Canyon Ultimate owner, I’d get the Cannondale. Way cooler, looks better, Canyon bar/stem thing looks like a sack of shite, 1 & 1/4″ steerer tube means finding even a normal looking stem is tricky. Canyons are Ultimately the dullest bikes going. Id get the normal Cannondale and get some fancy wheels for it.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Worth checking Cannondale sizing now though, think they changed the CAAD12s comapred to what they used to be. Might’ve changed the Supersix aswell?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Id get the normal Cannondale and get some fancy wheels for it.

This for me, and for the reasons stated.

crazy-legs

Canyons are Ultimately the dullest bikes going.

Nice play on “ultimate”. 🙂

I’d love a Canyon – they really do ride brilliantly and personally I love the integrated bar/stem.
    However you’re right, they are incredibly dull colours. Stealth or grey seems to be the main options and stealth is just way overdone now.

A couple of nice vibrant colour options would make all the difference.

chakaping
    Free Member

I really like the frame shape of the Canyon and don’t mind the dull colourschemes.

But I’d be leaning toward that hi-mod Supersix I reckon.

Disclaimer: I’ve not ridden either of them.

crouchingpig
    Free Member

Okay, downside – SuperSix Hi-Mod has been sold.

Upside – new option, been offered a new 2016 CAAD12 Dura Ace Disc for £1,900.

Would anyone go with that?

fifeandy
    Free Member

Would have been a toss up between the Hi Mod and the Canyon Disc (since your not racing) for me. If the Hi Mod is out of the equation then i’d go for the Canyon

Lucas
    Free Member

I spent months making the same decision. previously had a Tarmac and I’d ridden a Supersix Evo in Spain and got on well with it. I had obviously not ridden the Canyon. I really wanted discs (probably a hangover from doing the Whitton in the wet for 2 years) and was more drawn to the Canyon (not sure why just preferred it). In the end I went for the Canyon, have done a few hundred miles on it in the last few weeks and I’m very happy with it. It fits well (Xl at 6ft 3in) is comfortable, feels super fast but not nervious, looks nice and has great braking!

fanatic278
    Free Member

For ballpark similar money my mate has a Cube Agree (non-disc, but comes in both flavours). Purely based on aesthetics, I like it. Or do you want something a bit sportier? The Cannondale and Canyon are both quite low and long.

TiRed

new 2016 CAAD12 Dura Ace Disc for £1,900

I’d take that. Except it won’t have Dura Ace cranks, and let’s face it, the reason for DA9000 is the cranks, the shiny and black lovely cranks 8) …

To be honest, get the best frame you can. Pro level Canyon, and Ultegra. You don’t need disc brakes though, you really don’t, racing or not. DA9000 calipers are fantastic.

fifeandy
    Free Member

You don’t need disc brakes though, you really don’t

Yes, the disc brakes aren’t needed at all, but they do generally allow for bigger tyres, which unless you are racing or planning mountainous sportives are a huge plus.

chakaping
    Free Member

get the best frame you can. Pro level Canyon, and Ultegra. You don’t need disc brakes

+1

Unless you really want disc brakes of course. But Ultegra caliper brakes are flipping brilliant anyway.

stevious

I love my canyon but the new integrated stem/bar might make it a bit of a pain to get the fit right.

crouchingpig
    Free Member

Neither of the Canyons come with the intergrated bar/stem as they’re the cheaper models. from what I see the cheapest model with the 1piece bar/stem is £3,249 – which is more than I’d like to shell out.

I want something sporty,
    I have a Giant Defy 1 Disc which is far more upright and relaxed.

chakaping
    Free Member

I hear you crouchingpig.

Got shot of my Defy Advanced last year, great bike but just a bit too comfortable – no sense of urgency about it.

I don’t go in for that “you don’t need a race bike unless you’re racing” guff, a sharp-handling road bike is just much more fun to ride.

crouchingpig
    Free Member

chakaping, the best frame is £3k with Exalith wheels,
    that’s a little out of price range and I think I’d rather Strikes and £400 in my back pocket (as an example) over 100g saved on the frame.

fanatic278
    Free Member

I want something sporty,

In which case I recommend my bike (as is the way with forums).

Cervelo R3 Ultegra for £2399

stevious

OP – fair enough. The only issue fit-wise you might find is that canyon use 1.25″ steerers which are slightly harder to find stems for. If you’re likely to be trying loads out to get the fit right it could be a pain.

As for choosing the bike, just go for whichever one you like the look of most. In that price range you’re going to get a technically good bike whatever you go for. Go for the bike that will beckon you from the garage begging you to ride it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Test ride.

Buy the best frame. Dura Ace is great until you’ve worn a £200 chainring.

frankconway

Check out drakes cycles in leeds; they have sone cannondales in their offers section – and a scott solace 10 disc reduced by £1k.
    As always with offers, choice of sizes is limited.

lustyd
    Free Member

@cynic-al it’s also great when DA breaks in your third year and it’s still under warranty when Ultegra wouldn’t be. Chainrings are nowhere near that much either! The only crazy money part in DA is the cassette to me

TiRed

Oversize stems aren’t really a problem any more. Giant cornered the market but Pro Vibe an ritchey are now alternatives. Dura Ace is lovely, but it is no more functional than Ultegra – I have both, and you cry more when you crash it – I crashed both too!

As for position, my Defy SL is set up to have the same position as my race bike and my other road bikes, it’s moderately racey and handles quickly. I’ve raced it often, particularly on hilly courses (7 kg). Yes the headtube is a little longer than some race bikes, but about the same as my Propels, but it is a race bike through and through. It gets confused with the much more upright Synapse and Roubaix alternatives that really do have comfort geometry.

Slam it and put a longer stem on 😉

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Which Road Bike? (Canyon vs Cannondale)’ is closed to new replies.