Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • which ring on front on 1×9 is best
  • thewalker
    Free Member

thinking of trying 1×9 set up which is most popular toothed front ring, thoughts please.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Depends where you ride tbh 32-36 probably

geetee1972
    Free Member

32t if your riding is mostly technical off road and/or you’re not too fit, 34 if you spend a lot of time riding on fire roads, tarmac and/or you are very fit. 36t if you really ought to be on a road bike but like to pretend at being a mountain biker.

watsontony
    Free Member

and depends on cassette?

chopchop
    Free Member

I have currently:

34T, 11-32 cassette on my Covert
    36T, 11-34 cassette on my 456

It’s initially difficult to get used to not having the escape of the granny ring but makes you a much stronger pedaller if you stick with it. I wouldn’t go back to a double/triple setup on a mtb.

jam-bo

Couldnt decide so i got a 33t e13 one.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I used to use a 38t in the Peak district, I also had FUBAR’d knees though!

32t is a good compromise IMO, and has the added advantage of being the smallest you can get away with which is great for ground clearance, especially if you get a 32t specific chain device which most manufacturers make for that reason.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

32 with a 12-34 at the back; get me up most things in Yorkshire and the Peaks but the Lakes would be an effort.

colournoise

Have pretty much always run 34T/11-34 cassette on my 1 x n HTs.

slainte 🙂 rob

thewalker
    Free Member

thanks for replys will check my lbs tomor,see wot they got in shop. at moment got a 11,32 on back

bm0p700f
    Free Member

What ring size depends opn how you ride and how steep your hills are. I used a 32T on a 1×9 years ago for XC riding around thetford forest. I think I had an 11-28 cassette. It’s flat here though.

Coyote
    Free Member

I’ve been using a 36 up front and it ain’t been pleasant. Dropping to a 34 as an experiment but to be honest I’m thinking 32 will be the way to go.

chiefgrooveguru

There are so many variables that it’s unanswerable. But FWIW, I ride 32t 11-36 which works well on tougher XC rides as it takes less out of my legs and I can spin fairly fast to get me to a good speed. If I had a bigger bike which I used for shorter rides (<3 hours) then I’d probably run a 36t and rely on stomping to get me up hills – just can’t manage that pedalling on properly long or very fast with no stops (ie XC race) rides.

GW
    Free Member

34 is too low for the fun bits but also too big for the climbs so keep a front mech and run a granny ring with a 36T if you want to ride everything.

nikk
    Free Member

34 is too low for the fun bits but also too big for the climbs so keep a front mech and run a granny ring with a 36T if you want to ride everything.

32 tooth front with 11-36 back is fine for speed and climbs. The whole point of 1x is to get rid of the front mech. Considering people ride hills and downs with s/s 2:1, I’d think the range you get from 11-36 is wide enough for most eventualities for a fit rider, unless you absolutely need to pedal more when you are going 20mph+ (racing?).

GW
    Free Member

(racing?)
    No. making fast/long jumps cleanly

freeride_frankie
    Free Member

I find a 32 tooth way to small up front, whenever the fun begins your spinning out like a loon! It’s a 36 for me.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

I now ride 1:2 single speed 2:1 would be 2 revsd of the crank to one of the rear wheel. With that ratio you would never go anywhere.

To the OP quit 1×9 and ride SS then you won’t weorry about your gear ratio’s.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

i run 36 11-28, road and fire climbs are mine but if its loose or a bit too steep it can slow things down abit. I might drop a tooth or two when i replace the ring next time.

_tom_
    Free Member

I use a 34t on my DH bike (11-34t cassette as well) and it can be climbed on if I really want to put in some effort. 34-11 is more than hard enough for me on any DH tracks I’ve ridden.

singlespeedstu

I now ride 1:2 single speed 2:1 would be 2 revsd of the crank to one of the rear wheel.

You seem a bit confused. The 2:1 is refering to the number of teeth.
    32:16=2:1

Vortexracing

I have a very lightly used 33 Tooth e thirteen G ring in black for sale if your interested?

email is in profile

Ta

Dave

geetee1972
    Free Member

34 is too low for the fun bits

So these jumps then GW – how big are they? They must be 20 footers right? Chappeau.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘which ring on front on 1×9 is best’ is closed to new replies.