• This topic has 15 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by GW.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Which rims for DH?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

May need to get a set of wheels built up for my Big Hit, but not sure what’s what with bigger rims.

I’m a relatively light rider, but will be using 2.5in tyres – so will need a bit of width.

I like Mavic rims, so thinking 823. But won’t necessarily be going tubeless.

Interested to hear your opinions and experiences.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

823 are heavy, so pointless unless you are definitely going to use tubeless.

721’s are good and ive never had a problem with them. Plus alot lighter than 823

phutphutend

The old D521s, now EX721 can’t be beat really. Cheap, strong, light, look good in silver, easy to build. Peaty likes ’em!

chakaping
    Free Member

Cheers guys. I’m looking at the Merlin wheelbuilding tool and I can see EN521 or EX721 (non-disc). Not sure how a rim can be non-disc.

EX729 is pretty much same price – too heavy though? EX325 only a few quid cheaper.

Also, do I want DB spokes?

And will an XT rear hub be adequate?

GW
    Free Member

ex721 – good choice (non-disc just means it has a rim braking surface.)
    DB spokes – yes
    XT hub – will be fine

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Whatever the modern equivalent of the D321 is 721/729?

Got D321’s on hope bigun’ and they are by far the strongest wheels i have ever owned, survive 5 years of riding on a number of bikes including 2 weeks in Canada and i think ive only ever had them trued once.

firestarter
    Free Member

ive got xm321 they are very strong look good and are cheap too

Kuco

Mavic EX729.

chakaping
    Free Member

Have those of you with the 21 width rims been OK with 2.5in tyres?

Just spoke to Merlin and they can do me a dishless rear, so I’m looking at…

Rear: XT with EX721
    Front: pro2 with EX721
    ACI db spokes – for £160 the pair

Seems pretty good value to me compared to the price people seem to want for s/h wheels.

Speeder

Cheers guys. I’m looking at the Merlin wheelbuilding tool and I can see EN521 or EX721 (non-disc). Not sure how a rim can be non-disc.

721 was designed for rim brakes but still works really well for DH due to the balance between weight and strength – for a good while it was what Mavic painted yellow and gave to sponsored riders who used other people’s hubs and didn’t want to use tubeless.

EX729 is pretty much same price – too heavy though? EX325 only a few quid cheaper.

Too heavy – unless you’re a heffer you won’t need the weight or the width or the discness

Also, do I want DB spokes?

Yes no reason not to other than a slight increase in cost – they’re better in every other way

And will an XT rear hub be adequate?

Probably

xc-steve
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of wheels just for sale, hope bulb front (20mm) XC rear, both gold, black db spokes, black nipples and EX729 rims, email if interested, Stephen.Hodge(at)Plymouth.ac.uk

As for the rim’s would suggest the 729’s obviously 😯 or the 721’s 721’s are lighter but have seen a number of them fold more of a race rim or not quite hardcore dh, my 729’s have lasted ages and are true, mostly XC use but the occasional uplift day. and A week on a hard tail in France and were fine!

GW
    Free Member

2.5s are fine on 721s infact 2.7s are (the profile just becomes slightly more rounded)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

IMO (maybe i’m not core enough)

729’s and 2.5+ tires are too wide, the weight ruins handling.

My favourite wheelset was black hope bulb’s, ti freehub, built onto Mavic D521CD rims, with DT tripple butted spokes. Maxxis 2.35 high rolers.

The only wheelset I’ve ever had absolute confidence in 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Cheers guys, very helpful.

I would have been interested in your wheels steve, but my frame has an asymmetric rear end and I need to get a dishless rear wheel built.

Adam@Homers
    Free Member

Sun EQ31’s or 29s if you are a lighter rider.

GW
    Free Member

spoon – This is DH were talking about, right? The weight difference between a 2ply 2.35 highroller and a 2.5 is very little. and the choice between using a 2.35 over a 2.5 comes down to the type of DH track/conditions, rider weight and personal preference.

I wouldn’t find 729s too heavy either, but IMO they are no stronger than 721s – infact I folded over the edge of 729s(D321s) way more than I ever did with 721s(D521s) so for me, there’s little point running them – other riders may prefer the tyre profile that comes from the wider rim tho and there’s not a lot to compare to a 729s strength/weight in a similar width.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Which rims for DH?’ is closed to new replies.