Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Which rim width ?
  • nickfrog
    Free Member

Looking at a new build – I currently have old school Shimano MT66 26 which I assume are 19mm internal running Schwalbe Nobby Nics in 2.2.

The new bike will be a Commencal META HT Trail (not AM) ON 120mm Recon forks.

I am looking at Easton Heist that come in 24/27/30mm internal.

But which width will be optimum to support NN in 2.35 (27.5″). I am NOT an aggressive rider, just an average mountain biker mainly riding SDW and Peaslake. But I do like technical single tracks, I just don’t do big drops/jumps.
    Thx !

chakaping
    Free Member

24mm internal is plenty IMO, considering the rim weight and the riding you describe.

shermer75
    Free Member

Yeah 24mm internal is plenty! 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

I used to run tyres like that on 17mm internal width lol. Back in the day it was normal! 🙂

iian
    Free Member

I jumped from 19mm internal to 27mm using Easton Heists on my hardtail. (Awesome wheels btw, good choice)

If you have the frame clearance, I’d go 30mm in case you ever find yourself doing anything bigger in the future, which your Meta will probably encourage you to do.

But if you’re happy with the riding you’re doing now, I’d say you’re safe with 24mm, or 27mm as a middle ground.

CRC have cracking deals on the Easton’s too. That’s where I got mine. Bargain wheels.

poah
    Free Member

Go with 27

chiefgrooveguru

Before I opened the thread I was going to say “25-30mm”. So that’s really useful…

paul123
    Free Member

I have some 27 and 30mm wheels and prefer the 27mm on feel which comes down to tyre profile I gues which is driven by more than just width. ARC 27 and flow m3’s

nickfrog
    Free Member

Initially I was going to keep it “small” as 24 is probably more than I need for my use indeed but the weight penalty (less than 100g I assume) is pretty insignificant despite being rotating weight at the most crucial point.

I am 92kgs anyway so I guess I’ll probably go 27mm as this might give a stronger rim in case I grow a pair and start jumping more than 3 feet in distance… CRC are out of rear 24mm anyway…

Or could I go 24 front and 27 rear ? Kind of staggered BMW stylee…?

Thx everyone btw, really appreciated

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Which rim width ?’ is closed to new replies.