Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Which replacement rear shock bushings?
  • kevj
    Free Member

There is a small amount of play in the rear triangle of a bike I’ve recently bought and I’ve traced it to the shock bushings. Currently looking at TF Tuned offerings and I’m also interested in the needle bearing option by Betd. Looking for real world experience of both please.

kevj
    Free Member

Does anyone have experience of offset bushings as a manufacturer? I’m not after offset as I’m have with the geometry of the bike, just want a decent set of replacements.
    Offset Bushings

chakaping
    Free Member

If there’s a slight click of play as you lift the saddle it’s likely to be the DU bushing rather than the hardware (what you just posted a link to).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Standard DU bushing code for Fox shocks (and many other) is 08DU08.
    They are available from bearing factors or online and they’ll cost pennies. Change these first (as chakaping says).

Needle roller bearings are a step-up in longevity, in my experience at least. (They’re standard fit on Litevilles)

vincienup
    Free Member

I’m a fan of the polymer bushes over standard DU.

Ive always used the TF replacements except for the polymer bushes, which I got from Katec RIP in a bundle of 10 pairs plus tool…

kevj
    Free Member

There is play in the bushing, but there is also lateral movement in the shock at both top and bottom ends of the shock. It slides ever so slightly along the shaft.

Dango
    Free Member

Been looking at these today for my bike: http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id275.html

Must be a better solution on standard bushings?

Comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6TF77ZPlQs

I would assume less chance of the potentail rocker arm wear that could occur

daver27
    Free Member

I have a shock set up with needle bearings. it PERMANENTLY has play in it, as has every other one i have seen. they are a great idea and do smooth out the suspension action if you have loads of rotation from linkage to shock. But, they are not play free.

I stick to Normal bushes now.

onewheelgood

The upper shock mount on my 2009 Anthem developed play after about a year. Replaced it with a BETD strong bush and hula hoop and it’s been fine ever since.

greyspoke
    Free Member

The BETD pale yellow polymer ones last longer than the metal/teflon DU bushings in my experience, probably the same goes for the similar (but different coloured) ones you can get elsewhere.

@Dango that wear would indicate you are not tightening up your bolt enough (or maybe the design doesn’t allow this). Now its worn, it would be even difficulter to get it tight enough. You might try a slightly longer bush reducer, BETD do them, or get some slim shim washers for the ends. I have an old bike like that and it needs 1/10 mm washer for me to be able to tighten the bolt enough.

Dango
    Free Member

Cheers, thats not my bike though thankfully, its from from the RWC site advertising the needle bearing solution that I’m not going to bother with after all 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Which replacement rear shock bushings?’ is closed to new replies.