Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • which recovery drink?
  • chambo82
    Free Member

hey peeps , any views on which recovery drink to use and any that have had good results with you guys ? have tried the torq stuff last month and dint really get on with it , too much of it and not too tasty !!

sofatester
    Free Member

Milk/banana/water – 70p

RealMan
    Free Member

I like the SIS REGO stuff (strawberry flavour)

It just tastes so good, I dont actually care if it works. And you can buy smallish containers for about £8, so if you dont get on with it, youre not stuck with 25kgs of it

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    njee20
    Free Member

I like Maximuscle Cyclone. Not specifically a recovery drink, but it works far better than any of the specific ones I’ve tried. Not cheap, about the same money as Torq.

High 5 isn’t up to much IMO, nor’s Rego. The latter has the disadvantage of also tasting revolting!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Jamie
    Free Member

Yazoo Choc Milk. 50p and as its UHT can be left in the cupboard until needed. One 500ml bottle of the choccy flavour gives you 16g Protein/55g Carbs from 350kcal.

Rod

SIS Rego is rank… (I think it’s the soy protein they use) but then, I love the Torq recovery flavours (HMB is one of the ingredients and it’s quite potent, so some people really notice the slightly bitter taste coming through).

The basic ingredients are just carbs and protein (so choc milk can provide that), but the more advanced ones have additional ingredients to aid recovery/boost your immune system etc (that’s where a lot of the expense goes).

Buy small containers first to try them out (and maybe worth trying that zipvit offer that someone mentioned on here a few days ago – here http://www.zipvit.com/success/ )

Rod

i went on a stag do a few years ago and the MD of the hopback brewery was also there, and he let us all loose in the brewery with unlimited summer lightning and other ales… happy memories!

RealMan
    Free Member

I do like the strawberries and cream Torq stuff..

JoB
    Free Member

chocolate milk

tang
    Free Member

just got my zipfit box through the post, well worth 3.99, even just for the cervelo water bottle! will try the recovery stuff on the next ride.

jonb
    Free Member

skimmed milk

robob
    Free Member

based on taste everyones opinions here will be subjective (obviously!) but i like the rego stuff, both the chocolate and the strawberry, taste like milkshake! (kind of)

RealMan
    Free Member

i like the rego stuff, both the chocolate and the strawberry, taste like milkshake! (kind of)

Ive always thought it tastes like milkshake would if it was made of water instead of milk… If you know what I mean

adeward
    Free Member

waitrose essential chocolate milk,,

ourmaninthenorth

Whey protein powder. In fact, I’ve just had some. 40g powder with 500ml water (I believe 38g powder = 30g protein).

It’s cheap from myprotein.co.uk (I bought a 2.5kg bag earlier in the year), and seems to work well. The stuff I have is unflavoured and, while I’m used to the slightly milky flavour now, I find that mixed with half orange juice, half water to be an ideal way of getting protein and carbs in post ride.

Milk is good, but the key protein – casein – is a “slower” release, so better suited to overnight (i.e. have a glass of milk before bed). Whey and others are faster absorbed, so work better if consumed immediately after execrise. I understand that mixing whey with milk slows the absorption of the whey protein, so it’s best with water.

I’d be intrigued to try the latest thing – colostrum – to see what that’s like and whether it has any other benefit.

Rod

good point… adding a bit of milk into any of them makes them thicker and tastier (use a blender to get a proper mcdonalds milkshake effect!)

Jamie
    Free Member

@ ourmaninthenorth :

I just bought some of that unflavoured impact whey protein from myprotein, the 2.25kg bag. Had my first hit today, 25g/150ml water after a brief workout, it is actually not that bad as i was expecting it to taste like crap.

RealMan
    Free Member

While were on the subject, what do you do for recovery food? I’m a waffles and chocolate spread guy myself..

Jamie
    Free Member

For recovery food its usually bananas sliced into Fage 0% greek yoghurt.

Dieting y’see, as normally it would be a can of coke, a double decker and a cake of some sort 😉

RealMan
    Free Member

normally it would be a can of coke, a double decker and a cake of some sort

The perfect post ride meal. Pretty sure thats what the tour de france guys have..

Cant stand coke myself, but cake is an obvious contender.

scaredypants

colostrum

are you especially fertile & blessed with a large harem ?

ourmaninthenorth

Coke is ace. That’s what I had last night after the protein drink and a four egg ommelette.

Of the three foodstuffs, the coke had the most positive effect.

(Actually, I did have some homemade cake after that – possibly pipped the coke into second place….)

🙂

RealMan
    Free Member

I’d be intrigued to try the latest thing – colostrum – to see what that’s like and whether it has any other benefit.

from wikipedia…

Colostrum (also known as beestings or first milk or “immune milk”) is a form of milk produced by the mammary glands of mammals in late pregnancy. Most species will generate colostrum within one day of giving birth.

wtf?

dobo
    Free Member

Breaktime chocolate milkshake 500ml for 38p! @ ASDA or torq strawberry and cream depends…

ourmaninthenorth

wtf?

Basically, it’s rich in all sorts of good stuff. The idea is that it’s even more beneficial that regular protein supplements as a result. There are generall two types: that “harvested” in the 48 hours from birth of the calf, and the super-duper job, which is extracted within 24 hours of birth.

trail_rat
    Free Member

im a fan of powerbar lion bar protein shake at the moment.

But i noticed a marked improvement when i went from rego/nocte/whey protien to torq recovery…. i just cant afford it all the time !

So powerbar is a half way house , tastes nice and works to an extent …ie my legs felt fairly fresh on sunday after doing 300k on saturday ! and i can afford it

Northwind

I get on well with the pink SIS rego… It’s nicer if you mix it up a little thick btw, there’s something a bit wrong about it when it’s runny. I really have no informed opinion if it makes any difference, it seems to but then my recovery times are all over the place anyway. Mainly I use it over other brands because they sell it in tesco 😉

onewheelgood

I like the For Goodness Shakes – currently on spesh in Sainsburys. Choc or Berry flavour – the banana one is not pleasant.

Toombsy
    Free Member

Chocy Rego is puke!

I have recently been recommended Dioralyte cause it contains good stuff like glucose, sodium chloride, potassium chloride and disodium hydrogen citrate.

trail_rat
    Free Member

yuck … dioralyte just brings back memorys of bein sat in a hostel in nelson trying to get rid of giardia :S

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘which recovery drink?’ is closed to new replies.