Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Which rear hub?
  • tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Building up a solid rear wheel 26″ size with 135 x 12 axle
    Looking at DT Swiss 240, a Chris King ISO or a Industry 9 Torch hub.
    Any reasons not to look at these or indeed any other brand (Have a set of Hopes and like them but keen to try something else)
    Thanks
    Richard

deadkenny
    Free Member

CK sounds more annoying than Hope 😉

But otherwise all good hubs. DT solid, reliable and go one for ages without much attention.

Just the rear? Surely it has to match whatever is on the front? 😉

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

I have a hope and a ck one for the front not too bothered about a match just want something well built easy to maintain and very reliable.
    Richard

tomhoward

Used both the dt and kings, both faultless, but the kings are that little, huge, bit more lovely.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

White industries m16 hubs myself with to freehub body can’t fault them and not needed to be touched since I built them as they haven’t needed it almost a year now

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I’ve also got DT240 and Ck hubs. The DT’s are nice but the CK’s are sublime. I love the Ck noise too.

windyg
    Free Member

I have found compared to my Hope hubs the DT Swiss seem to just keep on going, mine have been through all kinds of conditions and are still spinning like brand new.

deadkenny
    Free Member

^ this.

Thing I find about Hope is people love them for ease of maintenance, but the point is they need maintenance. DT just go on and on and still spin like new.

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Thanks for the replys. Lots of positive comments for DT Swiss , how easy are they to convert to various axle stds, ie I need a 135 x 12 at present but to future proof be nice to know I can convert to others e.g 142 x 12 etc? I’m thinking there will be more 142 hubs available new than the 135 x 12 so could I retrofit a different end cap ala Hope.
    Richard

jimw
    Free Member

I beleive the latest model 240s rear hubs just require end caps. It is only older versions (pre 2009?) that would require an axle change as well as the end caps for x10 and x12 axles

amedias
    Free Member

I own both CKs and 240s

The kings are prettier and if you’re one of those people that notice and care about free hub pickup speed they are waaaay better.

The 240s are simpler, more reliable, and in my eyes probably the better option, but the pickup is very annoyingly slow in the standard ratchets, the upgraded ones are better though if it’s an issue for you.

Northwind

CKs are nicer but DTs are better.

P20

Better in what way?
    I’ve been running Kings for 15yrs, the rear may finally be giving up, but it’s still going at the moment

jezzep

I would say Hope just because you can get spares easily. Note the biggest issue with Hope is that the bearings they supply are devoid of grease for some reason.

JeZ

Northwind

tricky dicky – Member

Thanks for the replys. Lots of positive comments for DT Swiss , how easy are they to convert to various axle stds, ie I need a 135 x 12 at present but to future proof be nice to know I can convert to others e.g 142 x 12 etc

Dead easy to do, but sometimes a bit confusing to research- it’s an endcap job provided they’re reasonably recent hubs. Older ones need an axle swap too, which is about 10 minutes work. The caps are a wee bit more expensive than some competitors though.

The fronts are a bit more complicated- they’re available in all the standards but not all will convert to all standards. The default one is QR and 15mm, there’s a QR 15mm and 20mm one, and there’s still some QR only ones out there.

Basically, the hubs last forever so you’re more likely to come across a really old one than you are with most brands. That’s a positive but can be a bit of a trap too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Which rear hub?’ is closed to new replies.