Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Which race for a 1st timer?
  • garthmerenghi
    Free Member

Which race would people recommend for a 1st timer? Have been riding for about 5 years and am average fitness, although I do commute 17 miles (each way) to work once or twice a week. I would be in the “senior” age category being just the wrong side of 40 and would prefer something in the South East. The Brass Monkey enduro series looks good but have missed that this year. Looking for something with a friendly atmosphere for my first go. Any recommendations? – many thanks

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mega Avalanche?

njee20
    Free Member

Gorrick 100 in May, or one of the Spring Series XC races. I’d suggest doing Open if you do the XC ones – Veteran is pretty serious. At the 100 you can choose between 2 and 7 laps of ten miles, with all abilities in each category.

Same guys behind Brass Monkeys.

wwaswas

Brighton Big Dog?

wolfenstein
    Free Member

MOH 2013? 🙂

garthmerenghi
    Free Member

I think you’ll find thats MegAvalanche mikewsmith – but thanks for the helpful tip. Wife might veto that one!

Ro5ey
    Free Member

The one that is nearest to your house / If you are impatient a race that take place ASAP.

Or in reality, an event that mixes both of the above. Because every race I’ve been to has a friendly atmosphere …. absolutly nowt to be worried about…. You will not be first, but then you know that. But you will not be last either

Get involved… you’ll love it

mikewsmith
    Free Member

garthmerenghi – Member
    I think you’ll find thats MegAvalanche mikewsmith – but thanks for the helpful tip. Wife might veto that one!

yeah typo but 2 under the belt 🙂

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Have a bit of a weekend away and do the Classic Weekender. Perfect intro to ‘racing’.

Straightliner

This is all assuming you want to do an XC race, and not a downhill:

The Gorrick Spring Series are a nice safe bet, and hopefully not too far away. Races tend to be anywhere between 1-2hrs, depending on the number of laps, with lots of fun singletrack to keep you entertained, while you race the people around you.

As you’re over 40, the ‘veteran’ will work if you want three laps. It’s reasonably quick, but not as silly as the Super Vets class. However, for a very first race, why not try the Fun category. It’s only two laps, and there are a real mix of abilities and ages, so you will find people of a similar level to race against. After that one, you will know your lap times and can work out how you’d do in other categories.

The Gorrick Enduro in May and the Big Dog in August are brilliant events, but are much longer courses and you race for longer. Fun as part of a team, possibly quite tough on your own for a first race. However, as they are a few months away, the Gorrick’s mentioned above should probably be your first choice.

There is also a race nr West Drayton (Black Park XC) in March which is fun and has a fast but flat course.

njee20
    Free Member

This is all assuming you want to do an XC race, and not a downhill:

The interest in Brass Monkeys seems to confirm that.

There is also a race nr West Drayton (Black Park XC) in March which is fun and has a fast but flat course.

That’s a good shout, let’s just hope it’s drier than last year!

garthmerenghi
    Free Member

Big Dog looks good. My stamina is better than my strength so distance not a problem (although I may retract that statement when I’m breathing out my rear end at my 1st event). Timing would give me an opportunity to train and get hold of a frame to build up.

mattmbk
    Free Member

Bristol Bike Fest? Nice relaxed atmosphere, riding only as hard as you make it. Do it solo or get some mates and form a team. It’s great fun, no pressure event and well organised.

mr_mills
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

garthmerenghi – Member

yeah typo but 2 under the belt

Marenghi is spelt wrong so typo war victory goes to Smith 😆

njee20
    Free Member

The Big Dog’s a good event, but massively weather dependant. The Gorrick 100 is a bit more ‘reliable’ if you’re after something longer. BBF is good though.

garthmerenghi
    Free Member

Mattmbk – used to live in Briz. 1st time out on a hard tail was round Ashton Court and that got me hooked. Is the bike fest at Ashton?

shortcut

At 40 plus you’re a Vetran. Try Gorrick Spring series this weekend is at Tunnel Hill.

mattmbk
    Free Member

It is at Ashton Court. Track stays dry and ( almost ) mud free even in monsoon conditions. I’ve done both the June and the Oktoberfest versions, recommend them both. There are all sorts of people in it, top teams trying to win through to people hoping to survive so they can visit the beer tent. I’ll be there again this year.

garthmerenghi
    Free Member

mattmbk – Well up for Ashton Court in June. Will need to check with the domestic chief of staff to ensure no diary clashes but I shall be sending my application tonight. 😀

Solo
    Free Member

Get over to Belgium and have a crack at a Kermesse.

tomstickland
    Free Member

Bristol Bikefest is a good laugh, agreed.
    Loads of events listed on xcracer.com

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Bristol races are great. Do one with a mate in a team for maximum fun! Did fhe 4 hour pairs for my first race and I was hooked! Back again this year in the mixed pairs with the missus hopefully!

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Depending on where in the south east you are, I’d recommend Black Park XC on 17th March.
    It’s a good flat course, not a huge number of racers like some on the Gorrick races and a really good atmosphere.

http://www.blackparkraces.co.uk/news.html

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Which race for a 1st timer?’ is closed to new replies.