Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Which proper winter clipless boots?
  • andyfb78
    Free Member

I seek your collective advice please….

I have read good, and mixed reviews about:

-Shimano’s MW81 Gore-Tex Winter Boots
    -Lake MXZ302 Winter Boots
    -Northwave Celsius Arctic GTX Winter MTB Boots

I want a pair that is properly warm, waterproof-ish that i can use offroad biking and commuting in snow etc. I have tried over shoes and had enough of the faff and the 25min durability.

Does anyone have any comments on the above, or other recommendations?

I use shimano shoes normally and they are very comfortable and I’m impressed with the quality, but open to suggestions.

Thanks

Andy

scandywag
    Free Member

I’ve got the MW80 shoes and have been really impressed with them, for my riding here in southern Sweden they’ve been pretty spot on.

sparkerfix

I use the northwave ones, a couple of sizes up ( cos they come a bit small and I can wear thicker/2 pairs of socks) been great so far. Had them about 4 years now.

RealMan
    Free Member

I’ve been pretty impressed with my specialized defrosters. All of specialized shoes are great, their winter boots work well too. Been running them quite a while now, and my feet stay warm and dry.

FOG

Shimano, mine are just about to start their 3rd winter with no problems.
    I knew it was time to do something when I surprised friends on a ride by getting off and running with the bike on a flat road.

daznal
    Free Member

Shimano here too,feet only get wet when its proper raining or the tracks are soaked and then its because the water runs down your legs into the shoe,thinking of having a tap fitted for when this happens because the water can’t escape.Other than that get some

kilo

got the northwave road version, good boots, got 5;10 boots and flats for snow /mud but not realy waterproof. The shimano mt91’s look like the ultimate winter boot though – if i hadn;t bought the 5:10’s I’d have got them

h4muf
    Free Member

Northwave Celsius here,best clothing investment ever for me!

MSP

Recent concert to lake shoes in general, they are fantastic, but the shimano probably give more bang for the buck.

woodsman
    Free Member

Lake!

shaggy

Lake 302s are by far the warmest. Almost overkill in this country. Nice but bulky.
    Northwaves are really nice shoes, pretty warm but not as good as the Lakes. Quite narrow and more racey. I like them a lot also.
    Have also tried Shimano and Sidi winter boots. They are OK.

For my money? I just bought my 3rd set of Lakes…

mrmo
    Free Member

got a set of Northwave Artics? the predessor to the Celcius, about 8 years old, the insulation has failed a little so they are no longer as warm as they were. The neoprene cuff has seen better days, but still in a useful state. I tend to pair them with over shoes for the coldest of days now.

turboferret

Got some Lakes here, not necessarily the sleekest looking boot in the world, but certainly functional.

The Celcius are also good, I unfortunately bought a pair which were on the small side, so couldn’t fit nice warm socks underneath, so got rid.

Cheers, Rich

grunty
    Free Member

I have the lakes and I think they are brilliant. Just been wearing a normal pair of merino wool (endura baabaa) socks inside and my feet have been toasty, even when it was 0c last week.

trailmonkey

had celcius for the last 6 winters. incredible investment.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Got some MW81’s last Christmas and they were a revelation, on the really cold days last winter when it was hitting -15degC on one ride, my feet were toasty warm and my mates with other “winter” riding shoes/boots were complaining about numb/cold feet.

njee20
    Free Member

Got Celciuses and Fahrenheits, the road ones have lasted better despite being used far more often. My big criticism of either is the laces, but I’ve a feeling they’ve changed that now anyway.

bland

If money isnt an option then look at the SIDI’s. Loads better than my previous specialized, dont feel clumsy and so toasty its untrue

ir_bandito
    Free Member

+

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve just bought some clecius artic’s.

Sizing meant that I actualy went down a size from shimano (I’ve wide feet) despite wearing 2 pairs of normal office socks and some sealskins whilst trying them on.

Westbrooks in Stokesley has them as cheep as anywhere on the net and are almost my LBS. They had some ridiculously priced (£200+) Lake ones which looked overkill for a bad year at the Idtabike (sp?) !

z1ppy

MW80 for me, dry and warm. Had NW Celsius (non-arctic) a few years back and didn’t find them at all warm. MT90’s with gaitors is a reasonable call, especially if you riding includes bits that have to be walked, but the MW80 don’t need the gaiters (but don’t have the grip of the MT’s).
    If I could have afforded them the Lake would be my ultimate winter boot, but as above they aren’t necessary for 98% of the time in a UK winter. Luckily I got the shimano’s very cheap last winter and am very pleased with them.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Walking with overshoes just doesn’t work, and the big padded ankle of the MT90s lets crud in, so the gaiter seem perfect. Only just bought them and haven’t needed them yet. Bring on the winter….

hammerite
    Free Member

I have 2 pairs of Shimano shoes, 1 is a touring shoe, the other an MTB shoe – both in size 44. The touring shoe is a bit snugger than the MTB shoe which if anything is a touch on too big (but ok).

I hear the MW80/81 come up a bit small, so should I go with with a 44 or 45?

swamp_boy

Dunno about MWs but MT91s are sized small and seem to be made narrow. I’m normally a 44 with wide feet, my MTs are 46s and still tend to pinch a bit towards the end of long rides.

hammerite
    Free Member

Thanks swamp_boy, went for 45s which fit with a bit of room, a pair of woolie boolies and they’ll be nice and snug.

Paceman
    Free Member

ir_bandito

What’s the name of those Berghause Mini Gaitors? I could do with some of those.

mickb
    Free Member

Get the L/XL as this size is really just adult male. I am no giant and this fits fine. Excellent bit of kit when the weather is really foul.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Berghaus-Glacier-Gaiter-Black-Shorter/dp/B001YQGRFG

snowcatsmiling
    Free Member

Hi guys, a year on I’m asking for any updated opinions?

Concerned about the needs to re-proof the leather Lake MXZ302 and what their weight might be. My current shoes are Lake MX85 but way too much ventilation turns my feet to ice in this weather.

Defrosters look good and I’m generally brand-loyal to Specialized.

Shimano MW81s have good reviews but don’t excite me and I wonder how long the Goretex membrane stays intact.

scant
    Free Member

I cant recommend the Shimano boots, or any goretex boots in general. while they work fine in light surface spray, in heavy rain or deeper water slowly trickles into the shoe which makes your feet freezing cold & wet. kinda like wearing wellies & pouring water into them. After 25years of trying to keep my feet dry i’ve kinda given up & now accept its more important to keep your feet warm & accept they might get a little wet. I now use merino wool socks, top end altura rubber overshoes with standard shoes. the overshoes keep the worst of the water out, but allow water to drain from the shoe & the merino stays warm.

druidh
    Free Member

This’ll be my third winter using MW80s and they are still waterproof.

Popocatapetl

plus one for the MW80s. Go up one size though as they are on the snug side.

luket

After trying to find a decent deal without much success I’ve just ordered a pair of the Lakes from here for £158:
    oneclicksports
    I would normally just ignore such a poor website (it doesn’t even ask for your size) but I emailed them and they are sending me some in the right size (fingers crossed), so they seem to be worth a punt at that price and they were able to get a full range of sizes I think (exceot the wide doesn’t go down to 42).

I haven’t got them yet though so I can’t comment on what they’re like. Here’s hoping they last longer than my diadoras and are reasonably waterproof unlike my Defrosters.

composite
    Free Member

Got a pair of Northwave Celsius a few weeks ago and I have no complaints what so ever. Warm, dry feet, I dunno what else needs to be said. 🙂

GEDA
    Free Member

I usually use overshoes and have not had any problems. They do get tatty though. I just got a pair of rose bikes winter boots. They are loads cheaper than some of the others here a seem pretty good.

snowcatsmiling
    Free Member

Ok, thanks guys. I’ll try to find a shop tomorrow in central London that’s got them all. Any suggestions?

snowcatsmiling
    Free Member

Went to Cycle Surgery’s both Spitalfields branches. Great service, relaxed and friendly, helpful and welcoming.

They only had MW81 and Defrosters to try.

Shimanos immediately hot and felt solidly put-together.

Specialized felt like diving slippers – totally soft upper that wasn’t for me, and stiffer sole than Shimanos and feet didn’t heat up quickly like they did in Shimanos.

Feel the Shimanos would give better water deflection around top of show, and Specialized had more vent holes in upper.

Both cut into front of ankle but maybe because brand-new.

The Shimanos felt more traditonally-constructed with more support along sides and the velcro fastenings that I’m used to and happy with.

The contoured footbed that Specialized make so much of did feel great but also not as warm and in itself not enough to make me choose them over the Shimanos.

Oh, just remembered that he also showed me Mavic’s winter offering but I didn’t like the feel and fiddly style of the fasteners so discounted them in less than thirty seconds.

Shame I couldn’t try the Celsius, but from today’s choices I think I’d be happy with the Shimanos, a size bigger than my normal.

They all seemed to weigh about the same as my Lake MX85s so it’s a net gain (apart from in my pocket) because immediately comfy and all theother extra features.

Walked around all day today in my MX85s with no real doscomfort and think I could do the same in the Shimanos if I needed to. *definitely* couldn’t in the Defrosters – sole just too stiff.

Tread pattern almost identical so nothing to choose there.

composite
    Free Member

The Northwaves are definitely too stiff to walk about in for any length of time. Fine for a hike-a-bike section for instance but not to go round the shops.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Which proper winter clipless boots?’ is closed to new replies.