• This topic has 1,316 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by DanW.
Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 1,317 total)
  • Which power meter – Stages or Power2Max?
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

The comparable Rotor Power is a lot more expensive than the P2M. The Power LT is a bit cheaper than the P2M but is more comparable with, and roughly the same price as, the Stages.

tpbiker
    Free Member

hi Bob

Mine doesn’t register power or cadence either, but it does sync to the Garmin. Issue is it calibrates to zero, which I’m told isn’t correct.

Did you have the same issue, or did yours just not even get picked up by the garmin?

tpbiker
    Free Member

And…

Can you update the firmwear from a PC? It only appears to work from an Iphone which is a bit rubbish (I have a samsung galaxy)

any ideas?

bob_summers

If it show 0 after calibration it’s borked AFAIK. Drop Stages a mail, you should have an answer by tomorrow.

You can update over their Android app, but you must be on Android 4.4 (kitkat) to use it.

Mine only registered once pedalling on the road. I’m guessing it needs some force to wake it up (not just spinning cranks by hand) to avoid battery drain.

DanW
    Free Member

DanW, any problems you’re trying to sort out, or just general musings?

Firmware upgrade if there is one available sounds like a good idea regardless.

Nice that you can do it all over the Bluetooth via an app.

It was general musing really based on a few comments here saying that certain things like battery life were improved with a firmware update. Was just curious if there was anything to check or do before you to be a pain free as possible (still waiting for the Stages X9 to arrive).

Hadn’t even given it a thought for example that I don’t have the facilities to actually do a firmware update! At least I don’t think so 😕 I have an HTC One X running Android 4.2.2 and Bluetooth 4.0. I’ve searched and can not find an android app but it sounds like I need a newer version of the Android software anyway. Might need to bug a friend with an IPhone to update the firmware…

carbonfiend
    Free Member

I update the firmware using my neighbours iphone as I use android phone that isnt 4.4 & iPad 2 isn’t Bluetooth 4. Works fine recently updated & all is good.

mrblobby
    Free Member

P2M finally arrived. Easy enough to install with the Rotor 3D cranks. First session on the turbo with the PT wheel running too, reads a fairly consistent 10W higher than the PT, but that is sort of what I’d expect as one is at the crank and the other the hub. Happy so far 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Interesting…

I’m sorely tempted, surprised they’re focusing on the more expensive ones though, I’d have thought this gives Stages back a big market share.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Maybe clearing out old stock of the classic ahead of bringing down the price of the Type S? Though that is wishful thinking.

Hmm is tempting to pick up a classic for that price though, swap it onto the TT, then put my new Type S on the TCR with some new 3D+ cranks.

njee20
    Free Member

Maybe clearing out old stock of the classic ahead of bringing down the price of the Type S? Though that is wishful thinking.

If they’re struggling to keep up with demand for the Type S I can’t see they’ll reduce the price, must say I’m surprised though.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yeah, even if they don’t sell much of the classic, it’s good to have something at that price point to get people considering P2M and looking at the options, then they’ll up-sell themselves to the Type S. That’s pretty much what happened to me 🙂

Edit: Blimey 699 euro for the Gossamer, I could just about justify that for the winter bike too 😕

c_klein87

will they sell the power2max meter without the crank? just the spider? as my whole reason of not getting stages is because it wont work on my x0 cranks, of which I have two sets of….

edit, only cheaper on the road versions, but my question sorta stands, seems they only offer on rotor cranks 🙁

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yeah, the 590 euro price is just the P2M spider without cranks. You just need to have compatible cranks and get the right version. I don’t know about the X0 cranks but it’s fairly easy to take on and off the Rotor cranks, just a splined interface with a big locknut on the back.

c_klein87

ok I understand now, its a shame they don’t offer a mtb sram version, would have been sorted then!

notmyrealname
    Free Member

The P2M’s look to be a pretty good price, I’m just trying to decide whether or not it’s worth me getting one 🙂

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Ooh that’s a bit cheap eh! Considering a winter bike and would love a P2M on both road bikes.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

ok I understand now, its a shame they don’t offer a mtb sram version, would have been sorted then!

could you not use the s900 model with sram mtb cranks? the spline interface is the same, of course, you are limited to the chainring size, but 34t is ok with a 42-10 out back – im sure ive seen a 33t narrow wide 110mm bcd chainring somewhere as well?

this is cheap as well

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cycleops-powertap-pro-hub-only/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&utm_source=pla&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=uk&kpid=5360464212

as is the G3

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/powertap-g3-rear-hub/

dirtyrider
    Free Member
    notmyrealname
    Free Member

m sure ive seen a 33t narrow wide 110mm bcd chainring somewhere as well?

I wouldn’t have thought so, it needs an even number of teeth to be narrow/wide.

DT78
    Free Member

I just had the power meter discussion with the wife and almost had permission for a stages….would much prefer the p2m though.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I wouldn’t have thought so, it needs an even number of teeth to be narrow/wide.

typo yer? i even mention 34t chainring further back in the same sentence

but 34t is ok with a 42-10 out back – im sure ive seen a 33t narrow wide 110mm bcd chainring somewhere as well?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Looks like the Verve InfoCrank is coming soon. Curious that it’s 110BCD only initially. And the price, well it’s sort of in line with what’s already out there, which is a bit of a shame.

mrblobby
    Free Member

First look at the Rotor LT over at bikeradar. Not a perticularly insightful piece. If I was looking at a Stages I’d definitely be considering one of these too.

Meanwhile, happy with my new P2M 🙂

dirtyrider
    Free Member

just a stages with everything outback as they have obviously seen people have issues with clearance

like a surly krampus 🙁

mrblobby
    Free Member

Another hat in the ring. Just been reading about the WATTEAM PM. Looks interesting. No idea how far from market they are, but a price of $499 would make things interesting (though no doubt will end up closer to 600 quid by the time the importers take a slice.) Looks a bit fragile for MTB maybe.

Not sure how the sensor attaches to the crank, maybe you have to bond it yourself? Also not sure how it caters for different cranks, seems to suggest you have to somehow configure/calibrate it for your setup.

Just found a video too…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpw85y6QM-A[/video]

mrblobby
    Free Member

Garmin jumping on the single sided cut price bandwagon. A single sided Vector announced at Eurobike. 900 dollars for one vector pedal.

njee20
    Free Member

The Watteam looks very interesting, a single Vector could be good too.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Guy I know is having real problems with his Vectors, he swapped ’em from his TT bike to his road and back again and now they’re reading about 80-100W low, power was plausible on his TT bike and road bike but after swapping ’em back they’re reading low. He’s tried reinstalling ’em but no joy. Not sure if it’s one, or both.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Do wonder if there is a problem when most of the Garmin team don’t even run the vectors.

njee20
    Free Member

Hadn’t realised you needed a torque wrench to install Vectors, one of the things that appealed was the abilty to quickly swap them between bikes, and stick them on the MTB for the odd ride etc. Less keen if that’s likely (as it seems) to introduce problems. If they are that torque sensitive I’d be looking at your friend’s torque wrench MF!

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Maybe they’re just sick of club TT’s 😛 , I’ve not seen him in a while so not sure if he’s tried a different torque wrench, bit of a head scratcher, meant to ask him if it was just one pedal or both. I remember reading DC Rainmaker talking about the effect incorrect torque had on ’em in his review, knowing Garmin it’ll be software…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Blimey a $399 power meter by 4iiii announced at Interbike. Even that ends up being £399 that’s pretty impressive. Looks a lot like a Stages, other than you glue it on yourself.

njee20
    Free Member

Does look impressive! Along with the Watteam Power Beat and the Xpedo Thrust E.

Not sure it’ll work on a Trek Madone though.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

You’ve got to love the guy!

Would really like a PM on the MTB…I wonder if my exhaustively analy retentiveness could cope with the thought of a different PM possibly giving different results!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yes, really hoping that Watteam can get it done at that price.

Clearance on the Madone? Apparently you can attach the 4iiii PM pod to either crank arm. Must be enough clearance on the drive side.

Monkeyfudger, I’ve got a PowerTap and a Power2Max. They do give different results, but the difference is pretty consistent (about 10 watts lower on the PT, which you’d sort of expect given one is crank and the other hub.) I do occasionally tweak things to account for it though.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Also, seems a good time to say that my P2M battery flashed up “low” yesterday, reckon it’s got at least 8-9000 miles in it over just less than a year. This will also include maybe 15-20 hours driving where due to the cars motion the PM will be switched on.

Oh and my above comment ref the faulty Vectors, turns out it was a dodgy Garmin head unit screwing up the calibration somehow hence the weirdness after the install, fine now with a different Garmin.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Was the Watteam the other self install one (from Israel I think?)?

njee20
    Free Member

Clearance on the Madone? Apparently you can attach the 4iiii PM pod to either crank arm. Must be enough clearance on the drive side.

It’s the brake (being on the chain stays) that causes issues I believe. You’d imagine the DS would be fine though.

Was the Watteam the other self install one (from Israel I think?)?

The very same.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Interesting thought in the 4iiii review, that prices will continue to drop untill stages etc are doing both arms for the current price. Guess it makes sense as the unit cost must be small so as long as production can meet demand (guess that might be the stumbling block) then it makes little difference as you recoup the development costs over the same number of sales, just selling each person 2x as many (relatively cheap to make) black boxes.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Interesting to see what will happen to prices. I guess all the imminent budget PMs are going to worry the likes of Stages a lot more than SRM (if you’re in the market for a budget PM then you’re probably not going to be a lost sale to SRM!)

then it makes little difference as you recoup the development costs over the same number of sales, just selling each person 2x as many (relatively cheap to make) black boxes.

It is curious that single sided versions are being sold at roughly half the price of dual sided. Doesn’t really make sense if most of the price is recouping R&D costs and manufacturing is cheap. Probably set to meet customer expectations. Who’s going to buy a budget one if it’s only say 80% the cost of the full price one.

Anyway, a good PM for $399 would be great. I’d likely have one on every bike at that price (well maybe not the pub bike!)

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 1,317 total)

The topic ‘Which power meter – Stages or Power2Max?’ is closed to new replies.