• This topic has 1,316 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by DanW.
Viewing 37 posts - 1,281 through 1,317 (of 1,317 total)
  • Which power meter – Stages or Power2Max?
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

What’s the current view on the PowerTap P1? Been offered some as a warranty replacement. All good with them?

jonnyboi

I like my P1S, it’s a bit chunky but that’s about it. They say you need specific pedal cleats (which they supply) but I’ve used my keos with no issues

Vector 3 would be my choice if you don’t have to pay

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mtbtomo
    Free Member

Is anyone actually selling the Stages right side yet?? In the UK?? Cos whilst they announced it, it doesn’t look like anyone is selling it yet

mrblobby
    Free Member

Vector 3 would be my choice if you don’t have to pay

I don’t have to pay but it’s what’s been offered as warranty replacement for my discontinued C1 (which was fine for a year on the turbo but only lasted a few weeks on winter roads.) I’m assuming it needs to be another PowerTap product but I might ask about that.

eskay

mtbtomo – Member

Is anyone actually selling the Stages right side yet?? In the UK?? Cos whilst they announced it, it doesn’t look like anyone is selling it yet

No, I have been in contact with Stages (US) a few times recently because I am getting the usual winter power drain issues on my (3) stages PMs and they said they should be in the UK in around a month or so.

They are no longer replacing my units (must have had about 10 in total over the last couple of years) which have battery drain problems.
    Their latest take on it is that it is a problem with the batteries.

The solution is now to send out spare battery doors and O-rings. When the PM reports low, replace with a battery door that is preloaded with a battery that has been stored inside and then take the removed door and battery inside. They are telling me that the battery recovers when warm and can then be used next time the battery goes flat.

I did point out to them that I have about 7 Garmin GSC-10 speed and cadence sensors with CR2032 batteries and they last for 18 months +.

I have only just received my battery doors, so will report back!

mrblobby
    Free Member

I did point out to them that I have about 7 Garmin GSC-10 speed and cadence sensors with CR2032 batteries and they last for 18 months +.

Point out to them that Vectors also use CR2032 but have no such reported issues.

jonnyboi

I don’t have to pay but it’s what’s been offered as warranty replacement for my discontinued C1 (which was fine for a year on the turbo but only lasted a few weeks on winter roads.) I’m assuming it needs to be another PowerTap product but I might ask about that.

I’m only suggesting as it’s a cleaner looking pedal. The P1 still supports Bluetooth as well as ANT etc.

dcrainmakers comparison is worth a read.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/09/power-meter-pedal-shootout-vector-3-vs-powertap-p1-vs-assioma.html

mrblobby
    Free Member

Not much in it, it seems.

Been offered the single sided P1 in exchange for my C1, which is pretty fair. They’re seeing if they can do me a deal on dual sided. Or I guess I could sell the single sided P1 and get something else. Think I’ll probably go dual sided P1.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

*wrong thread

jonnyboi

No P1 single sided upgrade available yet, although they are talking about it. (and have been for a while) but bear that in mind

Kryton57

I was thinking of getting the Assimoa for my TT bike ^^ seems much of a muchness according to the review. Then again a BB swap / 105 cranked us cheaper, and I could use my 4iiii

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks, I did not know that. Assumed you could (I think the DCR summary says you can with all too.) I wouldn’t go single sided anyway, but good to know for options if they don’t offer me a deal on dual sided.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well it looks like I either get a replacement of a single sided P1 or a credit note for 420 quid for the broken C1.

I don’t want single sided and I can’t upgrade the P1, so that’s out. I could get the Quarq DZERO crankset for another 100 quid, but would need to find some rings and a new BB. Or for the same price an FSA PowerBox (basically a rebadged Power2Max) which would need a new BB. Or I could spend another 400 quid and get maybe a pair of Vector 3. If they stocked the Assioma I might well have gone for those. Hmmm.

So what would STW do?

Kryton57

So what would STW do?

Buy a 4iiii.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Dual sided ultegra 4iiii is more expensive than Vector 3. I don’t really see a good reason to consider the 4iiii.

Kryton57

It was tongue in cheek. You asked what STW would do, which in the main is to recommended what you’ve got… 😀

jonnyboi

get a vector 3s and upgrade it later

mrblobby
    Free Member

recommended what you’ve got…

🙂

get a vector 3s and upgrade it later

I want dual sided. If I got the 3S and upgraded I’d just end up spending an extra 100 50 quid.

I don’t actually need a replacement for a few months so may just get a credit note and see what deals come up. Maybe wait for the Vector’s to be discounted a little.

jonnyboi

can’t imagine the vector will get discount for a while, maybe the powertap P1.

gray

I’d go with the FSA, assuming that it’s to directly replace the C1 on a turbo bike. Otherwise either Vector 3 or P1 dual for max flexibility.

fifeandy
    Free Member

@mrblobby
    Give up on power meters as they all seem to fail and need to go back under warranty. Spend the credit note on a lifetime supply of bar tape.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’d go with the FSA, assuming that it’s to directly replace the C1 on a turbo bike. Otherwise either Vector 3 or P1 dual for max flexibility.

It’s for outdoor training bike now i’m convinced the Neo is good for power. Already have one set of Vectors which I can use when I need to swap stuff about. Leaning towards the FSA or the Quarq.

Give up on power meters as they all seem to fail and need to go back under warranty. Spend the credit note on a lifetime supply of bar tape.

🙂 I did wonder that but it’d be depressing to see it all not last that long on bar tape, tubes, tyres, chains, cassettes…

scaredypants

Mr B – if you want something to tide you over while you choose or while stocks replenish, my pedals are sitting here unloved (for various reasons I’m not even zwifting currently and a meaningful road ride where a power reading would be useful seems a long way off 🙁 )

mrblobby
    Free Member

Scaredy, that is very kind of you. I’m not sure i’d want to borrow someone’s PM given my recent habit of breaking kit! I’ve still got the Vectors and the P2M so really not a problem. Hope you’re back riding soon 🙂

scaredypants

offer stands – if they’re going to fail I’d rather it was well within warranty period. Won’t be really riding for at least a month more

mrblobby
    Free Member

Pioneer drop their prices again in the US…

Pioneer drops pricing on dual leg Dura-Ace R9100, Ultegra R8000 powermeters

Seeing some of the new Shimano DA PM’s in stock now. Anyone paying 1300+ quid of their own cash for one?

Fifeandy, I may well end up doing just that 🙂 Had an old PowerTap hub in the spares box so sent that to Paligap for a service and will get it built up to replace the C1 on the training bike.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Do pioneer have a UK distributor yet? I need the right hand side to go with my existing left hand crank arm but seems they’re not for sale in the UK currently.

I also need some more of the magnets that mount to the chainstay.

njee20
    Free Member

Always liked the look of the Pioneer offering, price continues to get better.

Spesh PM looks curious, interested to see how that develops. Looks like it cribs heavily on the 4iiii for the RH side.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Use to be i-ride. They stopped doing them?

Spesh PM looks curious, interested to see how that develops. Looks like it cribs heavily on the 4iiii for the RH side.

Looks like a 4iiii with a big “S” sticker on it (at least on the drive side – NDS is a bit different, which is odd.)

gray

Powertap P1 pedals (dual) for £640 here if anyone’s interested. I wonder if they’re releasing new ones soon, or whether sales have just dropped off now that Vector 3 and Assioma are around and both a bit more betterer:

https://www.probikekit.co.uk/cycling-power-meters/powertap-p1-powermeter-pedals/11321603.html

TiRed

Happy to receive TT m Assioma UNO has been giving sterling service for six months. It’s everything a power meter should be.  Easy to charge, easy to swap. Simple to calibrate. Delighted with it. Longest data set so far is 16 hours.

I’ve also just acquired an SRM got the TT bike, but need a BB swap first.

I expect P1 are due for upgrade. But I would not go back to replacing batteries

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’ve just had my Assioma Duo Pedals throw a wobbler after about 6 months use.  At the weekend, I was getting 1000w plus just pedalling along easily….

Waiting to hear from the place I bought them from.

I’ve got an FSA Powerbox to use in the mean time which I understand is based on Power2max technology.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Just to say Favero have been excellent to deal with direct, did some checks on my pedals via the app and having confirmed something strange happening with the left pedal, are going to send me a full axle assembly free of charge under warranty.

Excellent customer service!

DanW
    Free Member

Hi all,

Thread revival but it seems the most appropriate place for a PM discussion.

So… I have a new bike with a SRAM XX1 GXP boost crank and WheelsMFG PF92 BB and I’ve already gotten the training* (*man I hate that word) bug again.

I have 3 options:

1) Stages SRAM Carbon left side for £400 as an out of warranty replacement for my now dead first gen Stages SRAM X9.

+++ Cheapest option and easy to fit.

— Cranks won’t match (not too fussed) but main thing is just measuring the left leg. May well die without warning.

2) Power2Max NGeco SRAM Boost spider for ~£550.

+++ Not toooo many more pennies than the Stages but measuring net power this time. Seems fit and forget (at least previous versions).

— Will that flappy rubber battery cover really last MTB through a British Winter?

3) Quarq XX1 DUB crankset and ring for ~£700.

+++ Seems fit and forget and all the benefits of the P2M without battery sealing issues. Has a few more features but I’m not sure I’d use them too much.

— Requires new chainset as the spider is 8 bolt not the standard 3 and required new BB as they do them in DUB only. The WheelsMFG DUB BB is apparently very pricey. Even at the cheapest its another £35 or so for a SRAM PF92 BB so the pricey option is even pricier.

So… I’m leaning towards the Power2Max NGeco as the best balance of everything but does anyone have one or have comments on the battery cover? Is the Quarq really worth the ~£200 premium just for peace of mind???

WWSTWD? 😀

Cheers!
    DanW

dirtyrider
    Free Member

not sure where my reply went, so here’s the short version

only power meter? doesn’t matter as long as the data is repeatable (stages)

different power meter on another MTB? match it

i have 2 quarq dfours on road/gravel and i know the stages reads a touch high, but seeing as i only compare the mtb data with mtb data, and don’t use it to train with then the accuracy doesn’t really matter, as i don’t ever look down at the head unit when on the mtb

DanW
    Free Member

Yep, as a long term Stages user (pre-break from riding) I tend to agree on repeatability being all that really matters. I certainly improved my riding/ fitness pretty significantly with a Stages PM so it isn’t a total duffer. I did get lucky in terms of reliability in the 3 years I used it day in day out too.

Things have changed since 2015 when I last bought a powermeter though, and a P2M at STages money seems a no brainer. Why does it have to have such a crummy looking battery cover though?!

Viewing 37 posts - 1,281 through 1,317 (of 1,317 total)

The topic ‘Which power meter – Stages or Power2Max?’ is closed to new replies.