• This topic has 1,316 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by DanW.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,241 through 1,280 (of 1,317 total)
  • Which power meter – Stages or Power2Max?
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Stages

😆

Mines on the XC bike and not been ridden in ages.

scaredypants

^ to follow that up, I’d be quite tempted by the Assioma now, having all the electronics encased in a resin block

Yeah, seemed like a good idea to me too – we’ll see (though I won’t be riding outdoors much for a month or two, and I’ve a bit of a tendency to jump on the turbo if it’s pissing down anyway)

DT78
    Free Member

Are you keeping the bike with the PM inside?

My theory (not scientific in anyway) based on having 3 stages pms. If they are kept inside they seem to run through battery much faster. I think this could be because my phone / other devices ‘wake up’ the pm for connection and therefore drain the battery quicker.

This could be complete bollox, but since my road bike is in the house now, as opposed to the shed it is getting through battery at a much faster rate that it had been

Haze

I get the opposite tbh, it’s kept in a cold garage – single skin brick, vented but no insulation.

Once it’s been outside it never gets the chance to dry out properly because of the damp environment. The batteries die very quickly and I get a lot of dodgy calibration readings until I can leave the bike by the radiator with the cap off and battery out for a day.

gray

My bePROs haven’t been outside in filthy weather much at all, though they don’t show any signs of minding cold temperatures.

If I were buying again fresh now, then I’d be torn between Vector 3 (because they look so neat) and Assiomas.

I did briefly think that my bePROs were playing up the other day – they were showing pretty much 40:60 left-right balance, whereas I’m usually within a couple of percent of 50-50 unless going really gently. I’m pretty sure that it’s because I have a hurty left hamstring though, and am subconsciously going easy on it.

jonnyboi

my powertap is staying indoors for the winter.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Once it’s been outside it never gets the chance to dry out properly because of the damp environment. The batteries die very quickly and I get a lot of dodgy calibration readings until I can leave the bike by the radiator with the cap off and battery out for a day.

That is my experience, certainly with the C1. Vectors are a bit better. I may put the P2M on the winter bike and see how that goes.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I ride my Stages indoors or outside regardless. Its a G2 which touch wood doesn’t seem affected by crap weather/water (two winters riding) Battery life is much more reasonable than the G1’s I had to return but nowhere near the quoted 200 hours.

I’ve got a Watteam on order and won’t be wrapping that up indoors either.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Friend has a 4iiii that’s fitted to his fat bike and he seems to use it all winter with limited issues despite them only being certified to 0C. This is in Calgary though where although it’s often very cold it’s dry so no damp issues to contend with.

lustyd
    Free Member

I’d be torn between Vector 3 (because they look so neat) and Assiomas.

I had this exact thought before ordering mine. The Vector 3’s look just like my old Look Keo carbon pedals but with the word Garmin printed on them. I have to admit that I think the extra was worth it for the looks on the bike, to me at least. Functionally though there’s not a lot in it they all work nicely these days.

beej

P2M used all last winter and this winter too (when I venture outside). Absolutely fine.

mrblobby
    Free Member

P2M does seem well regarded in that respect. It’s currently single ringed on the mothballed TT bike but might do some swapping around.

Played with my Vectors and it looks like the right pod is dead. Took the opportunity to order a Vector 2 upgrade kit to replace both pods and spindles, not too bad at 100 quid. I guess that’s one advantage of having the pods separate in the old Vectors.

C1 is with Paligap 🙁

At this rate i’m thinking it might be worth rebuilding my PowerTap hub!

gray

I might have a PowerTap GS wheel going spare if interested (or anyone else). I’ve not used it much at all – should probably get rid of it. Currently on loan to a friend. I’ve been hanging onto it just in case I end up with a bike permanently fixed to the turbo. The reality is though, that if that happens then I’ll probably get a direct drive one anyway.

TiRed

My Powercal might be staying indoors, along with the ride! Smart trainer on order. Sprint training here I come.

Actually planning on the assiomas. Single sided and hoping they fix the Swift single sided issue

djglover
    Free Member

I thought I would share my experience with Favero BePro.

have been using them for 6 months or so, the pedal its self is very high quality so my view is that you are paying an incremental £275 for a power meter. Which makes it better value than a left only option, but I guess you have to like Look cleats in the first place.

They have worked faultlessly through winter so far, 12 hours a week of riding outside in the salt and then hosing down and there are no issues electronically or mechanically.

The ability to charge via mini usb is great

I had stages before and had loads of issues that this system overcomes

– Swapping between bikes was harder
    – Water in battery
    – Dropping signal whilst riding
    – Buying spare batteries
    – Under measuring

gray

Actually planning on the assiomas. Single sided and hoping they fix the Swift single sided issue

Is that issue only with bluetooth connection? Is connecting via ANT+ a viable backup plan for you?

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Regarding longevity, my power 2max has now done five very hard years where it’s been ridden outside every winter through all weathers. This year I stuck it on my CX bike so it has been crashed, ridden through mud, rain, snow and ice, jumped and generally abused 4 nights a week.
    Still opererates as new with just a new battery (1 min job) every 9 months or so.
    Very impressive.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well a thumbs up for the Vectors. A dead pedal pod after about 3 years of pretty heavy use. Figured I might as well just get the Vector 2 upgrade kit, ordered yesterday and arrived today, thanks Sigma Sport and DPD. 100 quid for two new pods with new cartridges, bushing, bearings and seals. Easy enough DIY job, done in about half an hour. All paired up and ready to go. No having to send it back to Garmin. There’s certainly some merit in keeping the electronics in a separate package.

Oh extra plus, could unpair them and run them single sided for a couple of days until the kit arrived.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Looks like Santa has come early….

mrblobby
    Free Member

Great stuff. Let us know how the installation goes. What you sticking them to? Do you have anything to compare them to when you get them installed? Assume it comes with some sort of calibration kit?

TiRed

Yes BT only, running Zwift on iOS app. I could go AMT with a laptop too. I just like the fact they are a mature technology now. Garmin 3s are such a big update, it’s almost first gen. And we all know about Garmin first generation products. Public beta testing!

Still looking at my own app for derived power. What have you started!!!!

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I have a Stages and a Pioneer single side already. So its going to be difficult to get a direct/exact comparison, but think I should be able to tell by heart rate on a steady tempo or sweet spot session if they’re in the right ball park.

They’re either going on a 105 chainset or Ultegra. I really want to put them on the TT or road race bike, but I think the dual sided data will be more useful on the turbo, initially at least.

They come with two stiff plastic bags which you fill with water and then calibrate at various points in the pedal stroke from what I’ve read.

They were £270, almost wish I’d bought two sets – would then have been less than £250 per set! If they’re accurate and reliable then I think that’s pretty bargainous! 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

You could probably get a pretty good comparison from the turbo. Pick a gear/cadence combinations speeds and see what power you need for that on one crankset, then swap for the others and compare data.

Garmin 3s are such a big update, it’s almost first gen.

I wonder if much has actually changed other than the placing of electronics and pedal body? Must check out a review. I’d assume spindle, strain gaugues are all as they were (ah other than the port to connect to the pods!) Probably not a big s/w change either. My 1st gen Vectors have been fine for 3 years until a pod died last week, which was easy and fairly cheap to replace (considering I got a full service kit and two upgraded pods.)

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Good idea Mr Blobby, I’ve got a pretty good idea on gear/cadence for a given power on the Stages, so will definitely tell if it’s out by a lot.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

mtbtomo
    Free Member

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Well, that was one scary experience!

I’m fine doing absolutely any bike maintenance myself but when it’s “sh1t or bust” on the gluing the sensors, that was stressful!

First thought was it’s hard to make sure the sensor is perfectly parallel to the crank arm, when they are covered by the larger “holding piece” for gluing. And is it perfectly aligned with my pencil marks???? Did I put enough glue on the sensors? Did I put too much??? Had the alcohol wipe evaporated completely? Oh and it’s funny how 10minutes which is LOADS of time once you’ve mixed the glue, just disappears like the sanda of time before your eyes…

There is no going back.

24 hours of waiting now…..

mrblobby
    Free Member

Funnily enough that’s the installation experience I had in mind 🙂 I get a bit nervous even torquing up bolts around PM’s.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

So, I’m done! Powerbeats fitted!

I gave the glue 48hours to cure whilst worrying whether i’d glued them straight enough or prepared the surface well enough.

Anyway, as soon as I removed the elastic bands the sensor holders fell away leaving the sensors securely fixed on the crank arms. All good!

This morning I went through the calibration process. Filled the water bags and used the app to calibrate with the pedals in the different positions. Took three attempts before it passed, the early attempts failed on the last reading but I think it was possibly because the water bags may have still been swaying slightly.

For some reason my Garmin wouldn’t pair with them but I’ve had that problem with my Garmin before when I don’t have the heart rate monitor on too.

Eventually I got it and did 20minutes easy pedalling in the easiest gear I had. It was interesting to get dual side/balance readings but I wasn’t totally sure the power was comparable to my Stages. Maybe within 10percent based on cadence.

Thought I’d just check the weight of the “full” water bags….turns out I’d calibrated with the bags not totally full. You have to be careful that you hold the bag right at the bag neck.

So I’m going to recalibrate tonight.

Other thoughts are – the connectors to the pods are a very tight fit, which is good from a waterproofness perspective but then they’re difficult to remove (say for charging) carefully without tugging the wire. I was a bit worried the pod might be a bit vulnerable if you’re not careful when you clip in, but I guess if you clip in normally without stamping on the edge of the crank arm then it’s a fairly unfounded thought.

I almost wish I’d bought a double pack and they would have been even cheaper, but it assumes this set proves reliable over the next few weeks and months.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

mrblobby
    Free Member

Good stuff. The gluing does look a bit diy 😉 but then for the price you really can’t complain. Be good to see if you can get some comparisons done.

Looking at the pod position, it’s the same as the vectors, which mean they are under the pedal at the 3 o clock position, so generally out the way when you are clipping in. I’ve not heard of any problems with the vector pods in that regard so expect those will be ok too.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

It does look a bit DIY in the photo, but unless you crouch down and look at it closely, then it doesn’t detract that much…. definitely won’t see it when you’re pedalling anyway! 8)

Good point about the pods being shielded as you clip in!

Just recalibrated, took about 5minutes and worked first time. 5minutes spin on the turbo and getting the water bags filled correctly has dropped the watts a small amount (just a few percent perhaps) and it seems more comparable to what I would expect on my stages.

Got some fairly long sweet spot sessions this week so that will be a fairly good indicator as to where they’re at.

gazhurst
    Free Member

Has anyone tried a Stages Dash Head Unit yet? I’m interested to know if it resolves any of the known issues with the Stages PMs.

My Stages keeps having the same old issues which I’ve learnt to cope with but more recently, it’s started dropping out and/or spiking on my Garmin 520. It won’t hold a connection at all to my Garmin Fenix 5 watch. Despite this, it connects perfectly to the Stages app on my phone which hints towards this particular issue being with Garmin rather than Stages.

And yes, all firmware updates are the most recent versions etc

mrblobby
    Free Member

Sounds more like an ANT+ issue with the Stages.

gazhurst
    Free Member

Now that crossed my mind… But I cant figure out how to connect to my Garmin 520 via Bluetooth rather than ANT+

mrblobby
    Free Member

You can’t do it. I think the 1030 is the first Garmin to support BLE connectivity for sensors.

teamslug
    Free Member

If Kryton57 reads this I might be interested in the powerpod from the previous page if it’s still for sale. He has no contact details on his profile. Mine is in my profile.

gazhurst
    Free Member

So…new battery installed…followed the instructions for pairing with a 520 on the Stages Support page to the letter including changing the reading time settings from ‘smart’ to ‘1 sec’.

Tested with an hour on the rollers and everything worked perfectly

mrblobby
    Free Member
    Kryton57

teamslug – Member
    If Kryton57 reads this I might be interested in the powerpod from the previous page if it’s still for sale. He has no contact details on his profile. Mine is in my profile.

Sorry teamslug but it sold to the first buyer. Thanks for the heads up on the contact details, I’ll go an fix that.

Changed the battery in my 4iiii last weekend. According to my riding logs I had 162hrs out of it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,241 through 1,280 (of 1,317 total)

The topic ‘Which power meter – Stages or Power2Max?’ is closed to new replies.