• This topic has 1,316 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by DanW.
Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 1,317 total)
  • Which power meter – Stages or Power2Max?
  • Haze

It would appear I’m getting a 2nd gen replacement, hopefully all is good again.

Have to add that both Stages and Evans have been pretty spot on sorting it out.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Yep, ditto the excellent customer service at Merlin and the previous email support from Stages.

schmiken

My Xt Gen 1 was just been replaced with a G2. Here’s hoping it lasts longer!

carbonfiend
    Free Member

I raced my G2 XTR stages through snow slop grim & everything else you could imagine on Sunday for 4hours at Gorrick never drop a beat. Massive clean of bike afterwards & connected up again no problem, checked again today & all good.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I raced my G2 XTR stages through snow slop grim & everything else you could imagine on Sunday for 4hours at Gorrick never drop a beat.

It actually dropped one out of every two beats 😉

eskay

Email confirmation from Evans yesterday that a G2 is in the post (hopefully arriving today).

As above, communication and service from both Evans and Stages has been excellent. Fingers crossed for the G2. Will update if necessary.

DT78
    Free Member

Those getting replacements, how many batteries did you try out before you warrantied? my housing door was very tight, I couldn’t open it without using a ruler to get purchase on the little flap. Not sure how many replacements it will last….

Haze

Those getting replacements, how many batteries did you try out before you warrantied?

Original battery appeared to stop working after a few rides, 2 new replacements worked intermittently afterwards as well the original.

Appeared to be a connection issue rather than a battery drain…

DanW
    Free Member

Anyway I think I’m going to perhaps clear shrink wrap the crank arm except for the mounting points, just as an extra layer of defence against moisture. And visible too if any moisture gets trapped. The battery lid still uses a mega fine o-ring but the casing is indeed different. Whether it makes any difference or not remains to be seen…..

There is some good thinking on other threads that extra covers might actually make the problem worse as it will be harder for tiny amounts of moisture or condensation to escape again. Similarly, we noticed that people with generally no problems keep their bikes indoors while the majority with moisture issues tend to keep the bikes in a shed or garage, again where it may be harder for small amounts of moisture/ condensation to escape again. Far from conclusive and I’m sure it doesn’t apply for everyone but an interesting thought I hadn’t considered before.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

The problems with my G1’s (XTR) were a mixed bag of great battery life then the replacements bombed, warrantied one that lasted only a few weeks & one that was working ok but then put bike away over winter & when got out in warmer conditions it wouldn’t work.

I have still got a G1 ultegra that is alive & kicking though even when I thought it was dead & its over 2yrs old now, during winter rides on the road I have cut out a section of old inner tube & slipped this over the crank & battery cover dunno if that helped ?

@mrblobby tbh the course was that technical I could hardly see the output except on the climbs & I forgot to turn the Garmin on so didn’t get all data for performance management chart after :-/

eskay

DT78 – Member

Those getting replacements, how many batteries did you try out before you warrantied? my housing door was very tight, I couldn’t open it without using a ruler to get purchase on the little flap. Not sure how many replacements it will last….

Original lasted several weeks and so did the replacement, after that battery life got worse and worse (my guess would be down to water ingress). Eventually a battery would not last 24 hours!

My battery door was very tight and I needed to push the tab with the tip of a screwdriver to rotate it. The door was quite dog eared by the time the thing finally gave up the ghost.

DanW – Member

There is some good thinking on other threads that extra covers might actually make the problem worse as it will be harder for tiny amounts of moisture or condensation to escape again. Similarly, we noticed that people with generally no problems keep their bikes indoors while the majority with moisture issues tend to keep the bikes in a shed or garage, again where it may be harder for small amounts of moisture/ condensation to escape again. Far from conclusive and I’m sure it doesn’t apply for everyone but an interesting thought I hadn’t considered before

I would have thought that condensation would have been more of an issue on the bikes that are taken indoors particularly during the winter.

adsh
    Free Member

My XTR G1 stages lost battery about a month in – large amounts of moisture inside and a broken tab on the door. New door and some intermittant issues I now know were connection related as the battery was OK on reinsertion.

I used to cover mine, tried gaffa tape, electric tape and self amalgamating tape. I think they all made things worse. New door and scrupulous cleanliness of the gasket plus some gasket grease.

Can’t have been that bad – I bought another.

DanW
    Free Member

I would have thought that condensation would have been more of an issue on the bikes that are taken indoors particularly during the winter.

I don’t know, I can’t quite get my head around it. My bike is dry after an hour or two inside so even if a little condensation formed then you’d think it would evaporate quite quickly…. 😕

mtbtomo
    Free Member

The thing is though…..it’s advertised as water resistant to 1m. (Can’t remember the exact IP rating quoted). The instructions only advise not pointing a jet wash at it which I don’t have and wouldn’t do anyway.

So it just really shouldn’t be that susceptible to moisture ingress. I have watches, phones, lights and numerous other electrical items that claim no water resistance yet I do not have to worry about moisture content in the air. No other power meter has such documented issues, often despite the same CR2032 power source. Moisture in the air should really not challenge a well designed o-ring seal design. Even then I don’t keep my bike in a shed or a garage.

I love the concept of being able to swap between bikes and stick with Shimano cranks; am pleased I’ve had replacements and also dialogue with Stages but it’s frustrating.

Fingers crossed the g2 is the one!

nibby
    Free Member

Got both, P2M is better. I might be selling my p2m Ultegra 6800 11 speed, will come with praxis chainrings x 2.
    Anyone interested let me know.
    cheers

dirtyrider
    Free Member

everyones favourite vegan puts a bit of white lightning crystal grease on his

njee20
    Free Member

might be selling my p2m Ultegra 6800 11 speed

P2M Ultegra? You mean Stages Ultegra?

nibby
    Free Member

sorry it’s a p2m and it replaced an ultegra 6800 11 speed.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

why would you sell the better one?

nibby
    Free Member

Not going to be using it for a bit so might as well go. Both are great bits of kit only really if serious about training and getting fitter though. Oh and if you love the stats 🙂

DanW
    Free Member

So it just really shouldn’t be that susceptible to moisture ingress

Can’t disagree with that. Does seem like pot luck with Stages as I use my Nomad washer without caring too much about avoiding any one part of the bike and have used the nasty ol’ jet washer at Ashton Court directly on the pod when I wasn’t paying proper attention and never had any issues. Shouldn’t happen and no-one seems to be able to nail down why some people have issues and others don’t. Hey ho

njee20
    Free Member

sorry it’s a p2m and it replaced an ultegra 6800 11 speed.

so which P2M is it?

nibby
    Free Member

Its the Type S Rotor 3D24, 110mm compact, 170mm crank, comes with everything needed incl. fitting tool, also praxis chainring compact and semi compacts.

If I were doing it again and could only get one it would be the P2M without a doubt. The Praxis rings are excellent and look better than Shimano 🙂

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Does this look like it could be part of a power meter?

njee20
    Free Member

It’s got a magnet on the frame which makes it likely. No other real clues I can see.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I think FDJ are supplied SRM, so could just be a glued in magnet ready for an SRM but with a different crankset fitted. It’s in about the right spot for SRM. Would be a bit disappointing if Shimano were relying on fixing a magnet to the frame and not using a fancier accelerometer based design.

What’s the source of the image?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Oh and new double sided Rotor INPower on the way too (here).

njee20
    Free Member

I can’t work out if there’s something at 12 o clock, or if that’s a decal. Agree it would be a shame if you had to stick magnets on, just as most have gone away from that.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

At 12 o’clock there is a little plastic box you can see it a bit better in this photo (although its at 10 here)

Shimano are apparently using FDJ to test something at the moment – a few riders still have their SRM but a couple dont and have this instead.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Definitely something there. Looks a bit different to the old spy shots of the Shimano one IIRC, quite a bit smaller. Could it be next gen SRM given that I think they are official FDJ suppliers?

crazybaboon

A sky rider I occasionally ride with let slip theyre changing to a shimano power meter next season, that’s what is probably been tested by the fdj rider

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

A shimano one could be very cool, especially if they can undercut other brands enough to get it on OEM.

mrblobby
    Free Member

especially if they can undercut other brands enough to get it on OEM.

😆

njee20
    Free Member

A sky rider I occasionally ride with let slip theyre changing to a shimano power meter next season, that’s what is probably been tested by the fdj rider

Next season as in 2017?

Shimano filed patents in 2012 IIRC, so it’s not that surprising. I can’t see them going cheap though, reckon they’ll aim for the premium end of the market, but happy to be proved wrong!

Haze

10% off INPower at Velotech, 3d+ upgrade can now be had for £450…that’s £100 cheaper than a P2max, £150 if I go for the 3d30.

Think that’s just sold it for me…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Single sided though for the INPower, so not like for like with the P2M. I’d pay the extra for the P2M.

Some cheap-ish Quarq over at PowerMeter24 (here).

Haze

Yeah thought about that, not too fussed about dual sided so long as it’s consistent and single sided will maybe compare more favourably with my Stages on the trainer.

Plus Velotech are based just down the road for ease of warranty etc. though hopefully not needed this time!

adsh
    Free Member

Very humbling FTP today comparing Stages and Powertap…..

Stages reading a fairly consistant 40-50W higher on the lactate session and overall 13.3% higher on the 30minute test.

I think my Stages is still useful as a training tool and for some elements of pacing but any willy waving over FTPs and W/kg I’ve ever done is duly rescinded 😳

Haze

Anyone fitted a 3D+ Inpower on a Bbright?

Manual suggests one 11.5mm spacer on drive side…doesn’t sound right, that would push the chain line right out?

Spindle looks the same length of my existing 3DF….

sweaman2
    Free Member

Can’t help you except to commiserate that Bbright is very frustrating. If I’d know how much of a pain it’d be I’d have seriously consider alternatives to Cervelo.

Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 1,317 total)

The topic ‘Which power meter – Stages or Power2Max?’ is closed to new replies.