• This topic has 1,316 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by DanW.
Viewing 40 posts - 681 through 720 (of 1,317 total)
  • Which power meter – Stages or Power2Max?
  • dirtyrider
    Free Member

sounds a bit like my power balance at the moment 😆

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Interesting, which one did it drop, the new one or the old? (I can’t remember which is the “master”)

As we’re talking about problems I rode with a guy yesterday (TOB stage so lots of standing about) who was having major problems with his new Rotor inPower PM, he was averaging something dumb like 800W for the ride haha!

I suggested it could actually be the Garmin as he’d recently updated it but he’s yet to experiment as obviously, he only owns one Garmin! He’s talking about sending the whole lot back and getting a P2M, said he’d fancied one anyway but was won over on the Rotor as he could get it straight away. He was obviously very happy to hear I’ve had no problems with my P2M and that battery last about a year…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Was the older left one. Reported error code is a comms failure between left and right pedal. Right one is the master. Sounds like the solution is to take battery out and reset it all 😕

Sounds like there are a lot of issues with the 3.5 firmware. Bit annoying really as I only upgraded because I had to in order to pair the pedals.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Yeah that sucks, do you ride with balance on the screen all the time? I’d kinda feel like I had to on these “dual” PM’s just as a guard against spurious readings.

mrblobby
    Free Member

It’s on my second page view, mostly as I’ve been playing around with cleat shims and was curious to know what it did to my power balance.

Spotted all the pedalling dynamics stuff come up in the summary too, power phases etc.. Looks interesting and keep meaning to have a rummage about the data but no idea what I’d actually do with it!

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

My power balance is 52/48 now, the thing is the P2M is utterly basic so I’m always left wondering whether my left leg is actually stronger or my pedalling action is just better/smoother from my right leg. Personally I “feel” like my right leg is just more efficient and kicks around the bottom of the stroke better. It’s always my left knee that’s wonky/sore too so is this ‘cos its working harder or just as it’s crap…

It’d certainly be interesting messing about with their Pedalling Dynamics but from what I’ve read it’s completely half arsed on Connect?

Also, new PM review on DCR.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/09/favero-depth-review.html

mrblobby
    Free Member

BePro sounds pretty good.

You might know that P2M isn’t measuring right/left independently, so it’s just a guess at left right based on total power using some modelling around typical pedal strokes. Wouldn’t really be picking up on some of the subtleties you’ve described. Would need something like the Vectors for this.

I’ve not gone near Garmin Connect for a few years now. Can’t still be as bad as it was… can it?

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Ya, it’s a poor guess at a left/right balance based on the 12-6 o’clock position, basically the only reason I want a go on Vectors is just to figure out which way I’m wonky, at the end of the day though it’d just be an interesting exercise opposed to a useful one.

MSP

Has there been any news when stages will do a xt m8000 crankarm?

mrblobby
    Free Member

I know how I’m wonky. It’s interesting to be able to see the effects of changes to address that wonkiness 🙂

My left leg is about 1cm longer than my right, and power balance is fairly consistently 45/55. Trying just a 3mm shim under the right cleat and it seems to be more around 48/52 with overall power up a tiny bit too. Quite surprising really.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Has there been any news when stages will do a xt m8000 crankarm?

just use a reduced XT/XTR M780/M785/M980/M985

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

That is interesting! Did you notice the length discrepancy yourself or through a bike fit? I’ve tried measuring mine myself using the legs at 90degrees against a wall method and they look bang on…probably aren’t though haha!

It’s incredibly helpful the Vectors have decided to crap out while you’re experimenting 🙄

mrblobby
    Free Member

Been mentioned in a few physio sessions over the years, but I was mostly running at the time. Just having some more physio for a back problem and it got mentioned again and the therapist recommended trying some cleat shims.

Hopefully it’s just a minor hiccup with the Vectors. Never had any problem with the single sided ones, or before the 3.5 upgrade.

njee20
    Free Member

P1s are top of my list still I reckon, do like the ease of swapping, and although the geekery of Vectors appeals I’m just not that sure it’s really of much use (cleat tweaking aside).

Seems a bit lame that Vector/BePro want a couple of rides to ‘bed in’ post fitting. Not much use if you swap often.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’d definitely go for P2M… or Quarq… or P1… or Pioneer… 😕

njee20
    Free Member

Haha! I want a Shimano chainset, because I like the aesthetics. P1s are easier than Pioneer to move between bikes, and I can get them at trade price. Wins it for me I reckon. Ask in a week and it’ll change.

DanW
    Free Member

Ask in a week and it’ll change.

… and no matter how many people are fan bois of any one PM they all seem to have their “quirks”

njee20
    Free Member

Yep. Unsurprising I guess, otherwise we’d have a hugely dominant player. Successive new arrivals appear to look like the perfect solution, then something lets them down (looking at you still 4iiii).

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Na, you need an SRM in your life Njee…even with the absurd price and a non user replaceable battery you can’t deny it’s a work of art compared to most PM’s! Weirdly I like the look of the SRM Dura-Ace over the standard crank.

DanW
    Free Member

Bargain at £2000 😀 Love the 7900 era and more old school SRM’s too

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Just swapped back to Shimano from Keo, would have Vectors in a flash if they were big S cleat compatible.

Where’s the best deal for Vectors at the moment, £860 @ bikediscount.de seems pretty good?

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Pioneer slims down powermeter, goes mobile, adds TrainingPeaks metrics & more

Nice little update if you’ve discounted Pioneer because of frame interference issues.

DanW
    Free Member

Where’s the best deal for Vectors at the moment, £860 @ bikediscount.de seems pretty good?

£861 at Powermeter24 too so sounds like the best price they are likely to be. PM24 and BikeDiscount have both been great to deal with so take your pick 😀

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well the vectors behaved impeccably on today’s ride. Hopefully just a glitch.

Out of interest, on a couple of hours of z2/z3 with a few hill sprints thrown in…

L/R balance was 47/53
    Pedal smoothness 21%-26%
    Torque effectiveness 74%-80%
    Right avg power phase 353-220
    Right avg power phase peak 68-120
    Left avg power phase 13-214
    Left avg power phase peak 63-113

I really must find out what most of that means! 🙂

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Useless wivooot pitchuurez!

mrblobby
    Free Member

That’s just from the 810. I think I need to load it into garmin connect to get the pretty cycling dynamics pictures.

njee20
    Free Member

Hit go on some Powertap P1s… Out of stock until November! Sure things will have changed by then as well!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Blimey, must be pretty popular. Trade price?

Some more info on the Pioneer…

IB15: Pioneer adds single-leg crank arm power meter, lowering entry price to just $749 (UPDATED)

Not a bad deal, and being able to upgrade to a dual sided later on is a nice way of spreading the cost a bit. Still it now looks a bit pricey compared to some of the competition (e.g. P2M.)

njee20
    Free Member

Don’t actually know the trade price, £700ish I’m guessing.

Pioneer does look good, not sure I’d go for the single leg option though. If nothing else just buy a double and split it with a friend

mrblobby
    Free Member

880 quid at Wiggle, which is actually pretty good.

njee20
    Free Member

Clever Training looked cheapest with the DCR discount if you’ve got a U.S. shipping address. At the end of the day it’s just a way of quantifying my mediocrity because I like data, I can wait!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

If I only had the left side Id have a voice inside my head constantly saying “buy the right side, buy the right side”

mrblobby
    Free Member

Another hat in the ring…

Dyno Velo’s new Power Meter Retrofits in Existing Hollow Crank Spindles

Alpha testing so wouldn’t hold my breath.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Has anyone tried the INPower unit yet?

Is it any good?

DT78
    Free Member

Broke last night, ordered a cheap rival stages from Merlin. Confident in merlins customer service in case I have problems, I’ll train with left side only next season and if I’m really getting the benefit and using the numbers I’ll buy one of the dual sided pedal systems that I can swap between bikes. Hopefully in 12 months or so prices of dual systems will have come right down

mrblobby
    Free Member

By that time you may well be able to get the other side of the stages and pair them up!

DT78
    Free Member

Who knows! Certainly interesting watching all the developments. Bet they drop the prices further in the next month or so now I’ve actually bought a power meter.

njee20
    Free Member

Didn’t seem to be any real news out of Eurobike/Interbike, so not sure.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Had to warranty my ultegra stages got new one this morning of the new type. The battery cover has finally done away with those terrible tabs that kept breaking off. It’s a new system & you place the battery in the cover before you put the cover on. It’s way more streamlined too. The connection points for the battery in its housing seem much deeper & further away from the door. FWIW I always found the problems with my stages wasn’t water ingress but the door & those tabs when replacing batteries, they were top of the ‘made of cheese’ league.

sefton
    Free Member

I recently got a stage gxp from merlin £365 – buzzin…why spend more?

Viewing 40 posts - 681 through 720 (of 1,317 total)

The topic ‘Which power meter – Stages or Power2Max?’ is closed to new replies.