• This topic has 1,316 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by DanW.
Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 1,317 total)
  • Which power meter – Stages or Power2Max?
  • monkeyfudger
    Free Member

I’ve had the Rotor 3D24 (24 = shimano BB) for about 2 years I think, they’ve been totally forgettable…by that I mean I can’t tell any difference from 5700 105. Not sure on weight, not so fussed. I personally love the look of ’em (especially the newer graphics) and can’t fault ’em at all.

DanW
    Free Member

Are those rotor cranks any good? Seem heavy compared to SRAM. Have to add in rings and special tool increase price another 130eur. Which rotor version would fit a non bb30 frame? I currently have 10 speed force.

I have Rotor MTB cranks and they are super solid, easy to fit and everything you could want from a crank.

All Rotor cranks can fit a non-BB30 frame. Just use the right BB and/ or spacers which are available also from Rotor.

The 3D+ are ~450g for a 170 with double spider fitted (no rings or BB). SRAM Red BB30 is what? 605g for the old style with rings and 560g for the Exograms with rings? Rotor 3D+ isn’t heavy by any means.

Add the ~170g P2M and it isn’t super light but not heavy either compare to even a light crank and other type of Power Meter. I want to use Xpedo R-Force Ti (170g) and Vectors are 350g with pods so that is the same weight overall if I went pedal based instead. I probably wouldn’t use a lighter crank than Rotor/ SRAM Red so again no real difference their either. Stages units are light but the cranks are not so light, especially on a BB30 frame if I have to add an adapter to Dura-Ace etc. Rotor InPower on a 3D+ crank is probably actually one of the lightest BB30 option for me but it seems daft not to have proper total power measured for £50 more and a small weight penalty 😀

No PM ships with rings included in the price as far as I can see (Stages you even need to buy the chainset too) so you don’t especially *need* to order rings for a P2M for it to be comparably good value.

Seems decent to me 😀

dirtyrider
    Free Member

and everything you could want from a crank.

apart from the aesthetics, which shouldn’t count, but still does 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Subjective though, I like them. Look good on some bikes. Much like Shimano ones, they look good on some bikes, rubbish on others.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Looks wise I’d choose ’em all day long over the new 4 bolt Shimano stuff, do not like at all.

DanW
    Free Member

I love the look of Rotor cranks too but they seem to have a bad rep in the roady world where they are seen as disposable OEM parts from older Cervelos 🙄 😆 The cranks themselves look great and the newer ones have more subtle graphics. TBH, I’ll be using black crankskins over whatever crank I go with to keep the branding on parts to a minimum

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Subjective though

of course

the arms sort of remind me of caramba cranks, was more the dodgy graphics on them, which as DanW says is now toned down

Looks wise I’d choose ’em all day long over the new 4 bolt Shimano stuff, do not like at all.

i hated them when they came out, certainly grows on you though, subjectively of course

DanW
    Free Member

the arms sort of remind me of caramba cranks, was more the dodgy graphics on them

Ha ha, that’s not fair on Rotor! 😆

The old style Rotor cranks were a bitch to get protective tape on to, but that has to be their only negative

njee20
    Free Member

Whilst I really like the current Shimano cranks and don’t like Rotor. Puts me off a P2M as well!

DanW
    Free Member

They bolt on to SRAM/ Campagnolo/ FSA/ Specialized/ Cannondale/ Lightning cranks as well as Rotor. I think other cranks like Tune and some others also share the same splines as other models so they have all bases bar Shimano covered really, at least on the road side.

njee20
    Free Member

The Lightning cranks have always been tempting, I see P2M aren’t supplying them now though.

Have we done Pioneer EU prices down? Have to supply your own DA chainset I think, but [Url=https://www.powermeter24.com/en/detail/index/sArticle/870]look good for €800[/url]. Cheapest proper double power meter now?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Do you need the Pioneer head unit too or is it ANT+? Seem to remember it doing ANT+ but you need the Pioneer head unit for the high resolution stuff.

njee20
    Free Member

Exactly. Bit like Powertap, standard metrics via ANT+, their own head unit for the detailed stuff.

DanW
    Free Member

The Lightning cranks have always been tempting, I see P2M aren’t supplying them now though.

I imagine the spline interface is the same as for the S-Works?

Have we done Pioneer EU prices down? Have to supply your own DA chainset I think, but look good for €800. Cheapest proper double power meter now?

I must admit I got very excited when the email came through from PM24….

EUR 1400 for L/R though. It looks like you buy the left arm first (EUR 900 for D-A) and “upgrade” to dual side with the DS upgrade kit (another EUR 900) or buy the set for EUR 1400. Even though it is a high end price the true dual sided measurement and wealth of metrics justifies it IMO. I think Pioneer could overtake the high end quite easily

dirtyrider
    Free Member

i thought S-Works cranks were just rebadged Lightnings?

so Pioneer have essentially gone after Stages with a left arm, plus you can upgrade the right at a later date?

DanW
    Free Member

i thought S-Works cranks were just rebadged Lightnings?

Basically yes, but they tweaked the design a bit to get rid of the creaking and a few failures IIRC. I’d imagine the spider is the same though.

so Pioneer have essentially gone after Stages with a left arm, plus you can upgrade the right at a later date?

It’s what it looks like, with the addition of a lot of funky additional things you can measure.

P2M still has it place as the cheapest “total power” PM but Pioneer really look to have a good thing going on IMO

DT78
    Free Member

Still don’t agree that P2M is the cheapest when you factor in all the other ‘bits’ you need for having a fully working system. I’m costing it in the region of £800-900 total to upgrade my bike to a P2M system (rotor cranks, new bb, new rings, tool to fit, and p2m). That is comparable to the to price I can pick up a pair of vectors from zee Germans. And ballpark to the quarq prices too. Happy to be proved wrong of course if I’m making a mistake?

I just don’t know….birthday coming soon…I’m now thinking vectors, mainly as Garmin HQ is down the road and I know they are great with warranty support and it should be perfect with the 1000.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Why do you need new rings and BB? If you’re including the price of the P2M tool have you included a decent torque wrench and crow foot for the Vector 😉

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

I’d really like a go on Vector/Pioneer just to see how wonky I am… Realistically though, can you change and would it actually improve you? Jury seems out still.

adsh
    Free Member

Still nothing to match the convenience of Stages if you want to run decent Shimano (eg XTR). Left only, some moisture ingress issues that are generally fixable but light and innocuous.

DT78
    Free Member

Current BB is GXP. Assuming rings from force won’t fit so need the praxxis ones (with quarq I should be able to re-use)

Vector 2’s come with the crow foot (I think….) and I’ve got a torque wrench, though if you believe the installation vid on Garmins site you can just do it up ‘tight’

Still it means the P2M isn’t hugely different in price

And yes, cheap stages is confuddling the matter.

The other things in the vectors favour is swapping them around between bikes (swapping chainsets isn’t ideal, as BB’s are different on frames)

DanW
    Free Member

Still don’t agree that P2M is the cheapest

Well a £400 Stages Pm is expensive when you factor in buying a crank, tools, BB and rings 🙄 😀

Costing up P2M for me is £632 (P2M spider only- £507, Force cranks and rings- £125, no special tools required). Reasonably light and total power measurement rather than single sided. Pretty much the same price as Stages or Rotor INpower when factoring in buying the crank so it looks like an easy choice.

Also worth noting the cheaper Quarq PM’s don’t give you access to L/R data and are pretty heavy.

All of the decent options appear much of a muchness, just preference as to what appeals to an individual.

That said the potential for Vectors to give inconsistent readings is enough for me to discount them. “Accuracy” doesn’t matter but consistency is everything. They would probably be fine but I don’t want the worry

DT78
    Free Member

Well a £400 Stages Pm is expensive when you factor in buying a crank, tools, BB and rings

Not if you already have those parts….for starting from scratch you are right, for an upgrade which I imagine is where most people are, not so much

DanW
    Free Member

By that logic, if you already have a crank them a P2M spider only is £507 at the moment.

njee20
    Free Member

I think the Pioneer is unique in being able to use it as 2 power meters isn’t it? You can chuck the LH crank on one bike, the RH on another, or pair them up. Quite good if you want to swap cranks about between bikes I guess – shove the LH crank on for a race or whatever.

Any reason you can’t run a Dura Ace LH crank on an XTR RH one?

DanW
    Free Member

Q-Factor would be the main reason I think

I think the Pioneer is unique in being able to use it as 2 power meters isn’t it?

I think the DS can’t be used by itself, it needs the NDS sensor

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

I hope you Stages users are all factoring in 2 CR2032 batteries a month and the assosiciated cost to the environment of these baby killing demons 😛

Was disappointed to read the other day that SRM won’t be releasing their rechargeable PM in the foreseeable future.

bob_summers

I hope you Stages users are all factoring in 2 CR2032 batteries a month

The FW update seemed to stop any battery drain issues for me, I use my Stages 7 days a week and the battery life is acceptable (don’t even remember when I fitted the last one). My Garmin throws up a low battery error long before the battery dies, while the Stages android app still reports plenty of life.

njee20
    Free Member

I think the DS can’t be used by itself, it needs the NDS sensor

The blurb on their website implies (well states) you can use either part as a separate power meter.

SRM have lost it IMO. They seem to give the impression they’re doing you a favour by letting you use their products. Zero innovation, and yet constantly suggest they’re the best thing going.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

its quite amazing how SRM have sat and twiddled their thumbs, they’ve watched an industry build around them, and done nothing, well apart from release the PC8, and who cares about that when you can get all that data and more on a Garmin

dirtyrider
    Free Member

just checked, doesn’t work,

this is on a Cube LTD Pro 29er

SLX Crank Arm on the left, Stages 7900 on the right

njee20
    Free Member

Interesting. Massive different in Q-factor, surprised at that.

DanW
    Free Member

A road double is usually 145-150mm and an MTB crank 170-175mm so there’s roughly 1cm difference in Q-Factor each side. I had an XT crank that was over 180mm so the difference can be even bigger

DanW
    Free Member

The blurb on their website implies (well states) you can use either part as a separate power meter.

That’s really impressive. More than justifies the extra cost in yet another way.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Yeah, touch wood, my Stages has lasted 1 month without a new battery on the latest firmware

DT78
    Free Member

I think the Pioneer is unique in being able to use it as 2 power meters isn’t it?

I *think* you can do that with a pair of vectors as well?

@Dan, if I had cranks that worked with P2M yes, but I don’t as per my post above, hence having to fork out for those as well, meaning the extra cost to upgrade.
    Cost for me to upgrade my 10 speed sram force re-using what I have where possible:
    Stages = £360ish, P2M = £850ish, Quarq = £850ish, Vectors = £850

DanW
    Free Member

What I am heading toward is P2M SRAM Force 22 which seems like a similar upgrade to you. As in my post above that comes out ~£630 for everything. Sure P2M won’t be for everyone but that seems pretty exceptional value for a “dual” sided PM and chainset that you can get L/R data out of (unlike low end Quarq). Vector 2 would be next on the list

njee20
    Free Member

Nah, fairly sure the LH one is the ‘master’.

I’m thinking Powertap P1 at the moment. I like the idea of Vectors, as I’ve got an Edge 1000, but it seems all the pedalling dynamics stuff is interesting at face value and nothing more. I’m not sure the extra cost and faff versus P1s is worth it.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nah, fairly sure the LH one is the ‘master’.

I had a bit of a faff adding a new pedal to my existing pedal, and at one point I did seem to end up with the RH one working independently. So maybe it is possible.

Each pedal has an unique ANT ID and you associate one with the other using the Vector pedal app. You then use the RH pedal ANT ID when you pair with the head unit. So maybe the RH is the master.

FWIW, right now, I’d go P2M. But then I like the Rotor cranks.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well first ever issue with the Vectors yesterday. Unclipped at a junction towards the end of my ride, then when I clipped back in and rode off the reported power was seriously low. Noticed the power balance values had gone to 0%-100% so it had lost the power from the left pedal 👿

Not had a chance to investigate yet but all a bit curious.

Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 1,317 total)

The topic ‘Which power meter – Stages or Power2Max?’ is closed to new replies.