Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Which porridge?
  • psling
    Free Member

The mornings are beginning to get a bit of a nip in the air so it's time for hot porridge at breakfastime.

Now, I know some purists will mill their own oats between the granite thighs of Scottish virgins but I'm looking for recommendations of something simpler, something out of a packet that can be purchased in the local shop.

So, which porridge is best?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

i like the Dorset stuff

mooman
    Free Member

Scots porage oats.
    Its alot larger oats .. for real men.. 😉

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Not had any that beat Scots original yet.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Scott's all the way – none of this poncey new world eco organic lovey-dovey stuff.

With loads of full fat milk and sugar. Get in.

Lucas
    Free Member

You want big fat oats that have not been milled too much otherwise you might as well eat readybreak/2minwankyporridge. morrisons do nice organic oats (brown bag) as do Asda (white box) organic as these seem to be the ones that have not been ground down to dust. Dorset stuff is nice too but is pricy and I've only seen the one with apples in it and I'm not keen on that.

My fav is big FAT oats microwaved in milk, then when it's too hot to eat chuck a handful of frozen blackberrys/rasberrys/strawberrys/blackcurrents etc in. This cools it to an acceptable temp and means that the fruit defrosts and just the right amount of juice mixes in with the porridge. Finish with a spoon of brown sugar – yum yum!!

IanMunro
    Free Member

Aye. Scots porage oats here too. I don't even bother cooking them, they're so yummy. Well that, and i'm quite lazy 🙂

yoshimi

Tescos Finest – very good plus much cheaper than all the others

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yeh scotts for me too, I like my oats rough.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Porridge makes winter worthwhile all by itself 🙂

spooky_b329

Sainsburys Taste the Difference…big chewy lovely oats 🙂 Got the Tesco Finest ones at the moment and although good, they are not a patch on the Sainsburys ones. I was quite dissapointed when I found my gf had bought a second box of the Tesco ones as I've got to finish them before going back to the Sainsburys ones!

cinnamon_girl

Sainsbury's Organic.

Am intending to try the Pertwood Organic ones as they were highly recommended in The Times/Soil Association Organic Food Awards 2009.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Sugar in porridge…. 🙄

Bimbler
    Free Member

Tescos Finest

This.

Or Tesco Organic, or some other stuff the missus buys in a big brown paper bag – just googled – Flahavans.

Much better than the Scots stuff imo

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Sugar in porridge….

Yep – that is how I like it. Anything wrong in that? I sometimes substitute sugar with golden syrup too.

For me it is breakfast and breakfast gets sugar. Always had, always will.

yoshimi

milk & sugar – yum yum

mrsflash
    Free Member

mmmmm syrup in porridge. yum

nbt

spooky_b329 – Member

Sainsburys Taste the Difference.

Mrs NBT likes these too. Tried some of Sainsbury's organic, Co-op's own organic stuff and the stuff from Pertwood (? not sure on the name) which were ok, but not as popliar as the TTD stuff.

cinnamon_girl

Of course the Scots add salt to it 😯

Now and again I add maple syrup but I do make mine the Southern way … with water!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Of course the Scots add salt to it

And don't they make a batch in October then pour it into a drawer and keep cutting slices off it all winter. Or some daft thing like that – at least that is what I was told as a kid 🙂

izakimak
    Free Member

Scots here too, with either honey and raisin's or a big spoonful of nutella 8)

IanMunro
    Free Member

Ooh, I might have to try some with chocolate nesquik now 🙂

nbt

Now and again I add maple syrup but I do make mine the Southern way … with water!

It's only porridge if it's made with milk. If you use water, it's Gruel

cinnamon_girl

nbt – it's grim darn sarf 😉

AndyP
    Free Member

Scots here too, with either honey and raisin's or a big spoonful of nutella

eeew
    salt, chopped dates if any sweetness is needed. And milk, not water – that's grim.

cinnamon_girl

I must confess to adding a little skimmed milk to cool it down 🙂

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

I did some label reading and found Jordans organic oats to have the highest protein content

zaskar
    Free Member

Organic rolled oats by Tesco with Milk. The black packet-not the budget option.

Doesn't come out that great with semi skimmed but normal milk it cooks and tastes sweeeet!

Been scoffing Special K and today Bran Flakes as you turn into Chris Hoy apparently. 😕

peachos
    Free Member

i get mine from the local veggie store, not that i'm that way inclined – it's just much cheaper for stuff like that and i buy all my fruit & nut type things from there.

discovered at SITS that cadbury's buttons & bannana make a great combo!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Chocolate and banana have always worked together – nothing new there 😉

llama

Scots with 50:50 milk/water and a pinch of salt

With sugar, honey, maple syrup, or jam depending on whats in the cupboard. A tablespoon of double cream sometimes. Have to try nutella because that with cream is bordering on desert.

peachos
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion – Member

Chocolate and banana have always worked together – nothing new there

well they were enlightening after i got back to the camp after 2 hours of hammering it around in the dew on the sunday morning. and there's something special about buttons. and half melted buttons are even better!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Talking of Buttons – anyone tried those big ones? I keep meaning to get some 🙂

hughjayteens
    Free Member

My wife recently bought some Waitrose Four Grain porridge from their whole foods cooking ingredients section (not with the cereals for some reason!). Cheap as chips and tastes amazing. Used to always buy Scots or Tesco Finest but this is cheaper and beats them all IMHO!

http://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Wholesome-4-Grain-Porridge-Waitrose/33659011

I cook it with goji berries and sprinkle pumkin seeds and honey on top. o idea why but the wife has started eating them recently so I thought I'd join in!

Just the ticket!

Surfr
    Free Member

Interested to know your cooking techniques and porridge to milk ratios.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Interested to know your cooking techniques and porridge to milk ratios.

Ratios? I just chuck it all in so it looks right. It normally is.

Just gotta keep stirring!

ourmaninthenorth

I use jumbo organic pats acquired from the most right on of food establishments: Unicorn in Manchester.

50g oats, and just enough skimmed milk do the trick nicely. Avoids that bloaty overfull feeling, and results in me being sated until lunchtime.

Handsomedog
    Free Member

Sainsbury's basics, cheap cheerful and makes decent porridge with the addition of a massive handful of chopped dates/apricots/raisans and plenty of syrup/honey etc.

I have some plastic cups that do well for measuring. Usually 3/4 cup of porridge with 1/2 cup of milk and 1/2 cup of water. Stir to get the pridge off the bottom of the pan then turn up heat and leave until bubbling. Stir and reduce heat, add fruit. Heat until the porridge reaches required consistency. Consume.

cxi
    Free Member

Mornflake for me – I live a couple of miles from their mill. They usually have a stall at the Nantwich Food Show, so I stock up with several 3kg sacks.

http://www.mornflake.com/products/oats/oats_home.html

Ratios vary – I have my special porridge bowl. Glug in a load of milk, about 8 desert spoons or so of oats and nuke in the microwave until just thick enough.

montylikesbeer

The one and only

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Which porridge?’ is closed to new replies.