Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Which point and shoot camera? £200 tops.
  • tang
    Free Member

Had enough of the phone and need to replace the last one that my little one buried in sand. Something with not too much lag if poss. tempted by the olympus tough thing as it will have an outdoor life/trips to dusty countries…pic quality good?

Northwind

I just picked up a new Ixus 130- well, reconditioned- and it’s reminded me why I love Ixi so much. The buttons are ever so slightly fiddly but otherwise, it takes good photos, works surprisingly well in low light, is ridiculously tiny and feels pleasingly solid. Definately a snapper’s camera rather than an enthusiast’s but it just exudes competence.

My last one is now dead, an old 800IS… It went round the world twice, got used in sandstorms in australia and dust storms in america, a tropical storm in singapore, a powder blizzard in canada and a poisonous gas cloud in new zealand, not to mention left out in the rain for a week on the west highland way, taken right down the front at a hundred gigs and dropped off a motorbike at 40mph. It wasn’t ruggedised, it was just stunningly well made by people who understand what compact cameras are for.

I’ve got a TZ7 as well which is a superior “tourist camera”, with its huge zoom and, IMO, slightly better picture quality. But it’s bulky and feels like it’ll fall in half if you press the buttons too hard. It’s proved itself occasionally but I just don’t take it places I’d take any other camera I’ve owned. It’s a lovely bit of kit but it just feels delicate and plasticky, for taking great pics in controlled conditions.

Conqueror
    Free Member

Sony TX5 if it needs to be able to survive some abuse.

colande
    Free Member

I bought the panasonic ft1 last year and its shock/water/most things proof,
    uses leica lenses, feels very well made
    it has been superceeded with the ft2 but looks like you can still get this model for £200
    it seemed to always come out tops when tested against other “tough” cameras

Northwind

Is the front “window” (can’t call it a lens I think) on those replacable? Rugged cameras with permanently exposed glass always seem a bit ridiculous to me, everyone I know with one has ended up with a perfectly functional camera other than a big scratch on the glass.

Conqueror
    Free Member
    tang
    Free Member

cheers conqueror

Conqueror
    Free Member

decided to get one myself.. dont have a compact.. but will do soon 🙂

good deal at that price I reckon

Rich
    Free Member

Has anyone’s arrived yet? If so what do you think of it?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Which point and shoot camera? £200 tops.’ is closed to new replies.