Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Which plus size 3.0 tyre?
  • Goldigger
    Free Member

Will have some new wheels for my Fatbike (canyon dude) next week.
    DT Swiss XM551 on fatsno red hubs.
    currently using the stock Jumbo Jim 4.0 Tyres.

Which 3.0 tyre is recommended? Or should I settle for a 2.8?

I’ve always eyed the WTB Ranger, touted as a good all round tyre.
    Anyone using these? and is it fine for both front and rear use?

also noticed the nobby nic seam to be a popular choice, maybe not as fast rolling?

After a XC fast rolling type tyre for general local trail riding.

Ikon? Rocket Ron?

psycorp
    Free Member

I started off with bridgers on my plus bike. Great for cushioning but a bit squirmy on the rear.

Have settled on a Ranger fast and tough rear and NN front. Not as comfy but more grip.

Goldigger
    Free Member

No other plus size riders?

funkmasterp

Vee Bulldozer is great although 3.25.

breadcrumb

I’ve put a Chronicle 3×29 on the front of my SS.

Only a couple of rides in but I’m impressed so far.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Are you goes using the same tyres front and rear?

Seems that some are using ranger rear and trail boss front.
    Wondering how much drag that adds to the front.

mudhead84
    Free Member

WTB Ranger light and fast compound 3″ front 2.8″ rear. Given them some stick which including a local KOM and haven’t let me down in a corner yet.

letmetalktomark

3.0″ Nobby Nic user here (F&R) have served me well through three seasons.

scotroutes

Another NN 3.0 F&R fan. I’m too lazy to be changing tyres so they do me all year.

vincienup
    Free Member

I’m running 2.8 Trailblazers still. Planning to go Ranger R / TrailBoss F or possibly someting involving Nics at some point later this summer.

BearBack
    Free Member

Picked up some 3.0 specialized purgatory grids…. Would not buy again. The 2.8 NN and RR I had before were much better in every respect.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

I made a quick run up to tescos with my chaoyang ‘big daddy’ 29×3.0 (23 euros from ridewill.it) on the front.

So far, I’m impressed. This is my first experience of these tyres, but very supple feeling, fast rolling and laughed at the potholes.

I’m going to post some pics when i get a chance.

I think that my main problem will be finding suitably sized mudguards. Sks are meant to be releasing their ‘velo’ mudguards in a 29*65 size. We live in hope:)

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Duro Crux 3.25

big_scot_nanny

No experimantation at all with alternatives in 29×3, however the first pair that I have – Maxxis Chronicle f&r, seem rather good. Fast, quiet, steer predictably, run them at about 11psi front and 14 rear, nice and supple, and seem to do everything I ask of a tire without causing any frights.

lotto
    Free Member

Chronicle F+R. Good all round apart from sticky mud. Doesn’t shed too well.

bedmaker

Nobby Nic is a good fast rolling allrounder.

I’m now on the Surly DW on my bike though and the increase in grip on anything wet and mucky is massive. Lovely soft compound.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Fast rolling light weight all-rounder… I would go for the bonty chapucra. Super light weight carcass and very fast rolling. Not great on mud mind you.

On my xc semi fat I run two Chupacabra’s at about 14psi. On my more trail orientated semi fat I run the vee bulldozers which come up a tad wider than the 3″ (sold as 3.25″).

The minion is also a great tyre but heavy… Perfect for more aggressive stuff.

I also have another frankenbike running an ikon 2.35 on the 50mm wide rims… Carcass shape is flattened a bit but works perfectly. This one has a plus wheel up front (again with the bonty tyre).

I reckon you would be best to go for a 3″ if you are used to fatbiking. Volume really helps and it the whole point of the plus size so make use of it.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Just to add missed the edit…. My experience above is 29″ not 27.5″. Not sure bonty make chapucras in the smaller size. But still reckon go as wide as you can!

Goldigger
    Free Member

Some variation on tyres here but with price in mind, opinions on where my money is best invested.
    Price wise ranger is the cheapest, are they made of Swiss cheese? I can get 6 of these for the price of the Chupacabra’s!
    Unless anyone knows where I can these cheaper?

Ranger f @ r £36 each
    Trail boss f @ r ranger £36/£35
    Nobby nic f @ r £47.50 each
    Nobby nic f @ r Rocket Ron £47.50/£36
    Chupacabra’s £100 each!

Del

the nics are 44 on crc. ( apex )
    i think i’m going nic front, tough/fast ranger rear, unless anything better turns up before my fing frame does.
    the bonty’s are light. my experience of light bonty tyres is ‘don’t use on the rear’.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

My wee write up on the chaoyang ‘big daddy’ got the bums rush…sniff ;(

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/and-now-some-good-news-29plus-content

hoping to post a video on YouTube.

Tyre weighed in at 900g and the courier gave me a pretty accurate (to the hour), delivery slot.

colournoise

Goldigger – where you getting rangers for 36 quid?

sv

Seems that some are using ranger rear and trail boss front.

That’s what I have (light fast front and tough rear as I cut the light one after 2 rides) was also thinking bridger front.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Colournoise, CRC only 2 left.
    WTB Ranger TCS Light Fast Rolling Plus Tyre

Tough version is £6 more.

I’ve gone for light fast front and rear, should be fine for local trails.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Which plus size 3.0 tyre?’ is closed to new replies.