Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Which plastic pipe are we using for plumbing now?
  • elma
    Free Member

Just about to start replumbing the bathroom and all i’ve ever used before has been copper.
    Is there much difference between brands or are they much of a muchness , are some of the joints better that others regarding push fit and ease.

All advice appreciated.

nickjb
    Free Member

Its all pretty good as long as you fit it properly ime. Use the right inserts, follow the bending guidelines and minimise force on the joints. I tend to use JG as its decent stuff and readily available

andy4d

Make sure you can get spares. I am no expert but my limited experience is…..my house was built with wavin pipes. I needed to replace a sink but everything now seems to be marley and marley and wavin don’t mix seemingly (very close but will they join together, will they heck.) All the diy places around me only sell marley compatable bits so getting wavin bits to fit my sink was a right pain.

andy4d

Make sure you can get spares. I am no expert but my limited experience is…..my house was built with wavin pipes. I needed to replace a sink but everything now seems to be marley and marley and wavin don’t mix seemingly (very close but will they join together, will they heck.) All the diy places around me only sell marley compatable bits so getting wavin bits to fit my sink was a right pain.

andy4d

andy4d

^^^……as it’s readily available.

This. My house was built with Wavin pipes, all I can get locally is Marley. Tried to change a sink over a couple of years ago and what a pain it was. Wavin and marley don’t mix…ffs.

andy4d

Sorry for the multiple posts. Happened when the site was playing up earlier. 🙄

nickdavies

Can’t you just use copper?
    Only ask as I’m about to do mine and I was planning to ignore all this new plastic stuff and use copper. Can’t see how the plastic can be better than well fitted copper?

bigfoot
    Free Member

my house is getting all the plumbing replaced and its getting done in copper, i know several plumbers and they all use copper rather than plastic.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Plastic does have a considerable thicker wall so a higher surface area to volume ratio especially at the joints with the inserts.

allthegear
    Free Member

Where do you live? Close to Norfolk? Help yourself…

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-norfolk-40887525

Rachel

Bear
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with pushfit, it does have advantages over copper, and some disadvantages.

Personally if I have to use it I prefer Speedfit as you can demount the fittings without a tool.

takisawa2

Copper, with Tectite copper push fit fittings.
    A doddle to use.

We manufacture push fittings, albeit industrial & CV stuff, that uses air at higher pressures (18 bar); with cooked nylon tube. I wouldn’t want them sealed under my floor though.

I had a play with the Tectite ones at work. They are very well made. A very good product, not cheap though.

stumpyjon

Why would you not use push fit? Cheaper way easier to fit, withstands freezing temps better. My house is all plastic heating and water and installed a lot extra in the garage. No issues at all if you connect the pipes properly but even then its a lot easier to muck up a soldered joint.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I use copper where visible and JG Speedfit where not. I prefer the Speedfit as you can fit long lengths off a reel without joints under floors or in walls.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Which plastic pipe are we using for plumbing now?’ is closed to new replies.