Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Which Planet-X Road bike? (or other road bike for £1k)
  • lunge

Right, I think I have decided that for my cycle to work bike I will be going for a Planet-X road bike, I just can’t seem to find anything that is better value at the moment.

However, there seem to be 3 choices:
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/YBPXSLPRIV/planet_x_pro_carbon_rival_road_bike – Carbon frame, with Rival groupset
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLARED/planet_x_team_alu_red_road_bike – Alu frame with a mix of Apex and Red groupset
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLARIV/planet_x_team_alu_rival_road_bike -Alu frame with Rival

My initial instinct was to go for the first one (carbon frame, Rival group) but having read a few reviews the alu frame does get a good write up and maybe good alu is better than cheap carbon. So that brings the bottom 2 into play, I am drawn to the Red shifters in the last one but then think the rest of the kit is somewhat sacrifised.

Frankly, I am confused. So can any one give any advice/opinion as to the option to go for?

clubber
    Free Member

Check out the Boardman…

lunge

Can’t do Boardman as Cyclescheme don’t deal with Halfords apparently.

bigG
    Free Member

Before you jump on the planet x band wagon have a think about what you want the bike for. The Planet X frames are not sportive frames, they are built to be raced and have some pretty aggressive geometry. Not comfortable for a long ride unless you’re used to being very low at the front.

The Boardman is similar but not quite so low.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Do Ribble do the cycle scheme.?

clubber
    Free Member

bigG – Member
    Before you jump on the planet x band wagon have a think about what you want the bike for. The Planet X frames are not sportive frames, they are built to be raced and have some pretty aggressive geometry. Not comfortable for a long ride unless you’re used to being very low at the front.

Sorry, got to call you on that. You’re right to some extent – riding a bike that’s too low for your physiology/flexibility will be uncomfortable but there are few road bikes that really are that low at the front and the Planet X certainly isn’t one of them. Put a stem with rise on and spacers if needed and it’ll be plenty high enough. You really don’t need a ‘sportive specific’ frame.

lunge

neilsonwheels, they do but I think the Planet-X is better specced that what I can put together at Ribble. I suspect the frames are fairly similar in quality.

bigG
    Free Member

Clubber happy to be called out on that. I do think that the OP needs to decide what he wants the bike for. If possible sling a leg over one before pulling the trigger on purchase.

I know that the Planet X isn’t an out and out race frame, but a couple of guys in my bike club have had to sell Planet X bikes on after finding them uncomfortable over long distances. Just suggesting that the OP might want to think about geometry.

clubber
    Free Member

Thing is IME people say that a frame isn’t comfortable, often when they don’t have lots of experience and either have an expectation that you can ride 120 miles without any discomfort ( I know some can but most people can’t ) or that a road bike should offer an armchair ride (well, it’s the road, it’s smooth, isn’t it?).

OK, some frames are unquestionably more comfortable than others but assuming a decent position (which as I said, I reckon you can get within reason on most road bikes so long as you’ve got the right top tube length) it’s the difference in construction and materials. I’d certainly be inclined to get a bike with at least a carbon rear end if I was doing big mileages (though some alu bikes can be just as smooth, usually not the cheapish ones) as I’ve found that they are typically noticeably less jarring over bad roads.

lunge

bigG, Clubber, thanks for the help so far. I’m not unhappy with a racy position, I will be doing the odd big day in the saddle but a lot of the use will be for 2 or 3 hour blasts locally. I have sat on a few bikes to get an idea of fit and looking at the PX geometry it seems pretty close to what felt right, certainly close enough that any differences are only a stem swap away from being fixable.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

a couple of guys in my bike club have had to sell Planet X bikes on after finding them uncomfortable over long distances.

‘Sportive’ frames are style over substance, you could achieve the same position by fliping the stem, but this appears to be against some unwritten roadie rule.

If it was my money* I’d just get a 2nd hand CAAD cannondale off ebay, I bought mine 7 years ago (it was 2 years old then), and since upgraded with a dura ace groupset, shimano wheels, carbon bars, and carbon cranks. It’s still only cost me about £600 alltogether! They’ve got a reputation for being very comfortable but stiff well made frames at the expense of not baing as headline grabingly lightweight as some complete bikes.

*I actualy did rather than it being hypothetical.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Go carbon IMO, I went from a kinesis KIC2 frame (carbon rear end) to a PX SL Pro the difference was night and day comfort wise, plus the added stiffness and weight saving.

clubber
    Free Member

‘Sportive’ frames are style over substance, you could achieve the same position by fliping the stem, but this appears to be against some unwritten roadie rule.

Well, from what I’ve seen, they’re the same but with longer head tubes and maybe very slightly slacker geo. Flipping the stem is very much against roadie ‘rules’ but then so is having a sportive style head tube with a tall stack headset on top…

brant
    Free Member

There are some hilarious Sportive frames out there which feature long head tubes, and then deep drop bars which can give a lower position than a shorter head tube with a shallower drop bar (which we use on the PX bikes).

The Apex Superlight team is an older lower spec than the limited run Red Superlight Team bike. The Red Superlight Team really is a stunner for the money.

clubber
    Free Member

Good point there Brant. Some bikes do seem to be spec’d with no understanding of the overall effect.

karnali
    Free Member

have th eoriginal alu team bike with rival very happy with it, did c2c in a day no comfort issues, couple of mates have the carboones and like them as well, saw the new carbon prototype a week or so back and that looked nice but no idea how much i suspect more than a grand, the red deal looks pretty good to me, guess its donw to do you prefer the looks of the carn or the looks of the alu, i doubt in ral terms if there will be much difference in performance and around 200g in frame weight

lunge

Ok then, I think i’m going for Carbon. Now to order the voucher.

drain

Did JOGLE on the Planet X SL Pro earlier this year, it was very comfortable in terms of geometry, with about an inch of spacers under the stem (and 25c tyres).

MadBillMcMad

Lunge,

Having just made your decision I will chip in.

My advice would be to go Ali but get a real good wheel set.
    At £1k you get very average wheels. If you go ali you can get some really nice wheels and consequently will end up with a much nicer ride and still be cheaper.

sl2000

I think the Planet-X is better specced that what I can put together at Ribble. I suspect the frames are fairly similar in quality.

Ribble Evo Pro is £982 with Rival and their Cycle Scheme charge is £65 not £100 – so that’s about £50 cheaper than PX. Depends on your circumstances with wheels / finishing kit as to which is better value.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Which Planet-X Road bike? (or other road bike for £1k)’ is closed to new replies.