Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Which pipework to make this sump drain?
  • glasgowdan
    Free Member

Can anyone help please? I’ve had this driveway repair done and now need to create a sump to drain into the rainwater downpipe.

I thought of cutting a square hole around the pipe and perhaps replacing a section of the pipe with a perforated one? Or a t piece with an open end. My worries are can I account for water backing up and spilling out onto the drive? Anything else obvious? The downpipe is at least 12″ straight down from the concrete surface.

Thanks

globalti
    Free Member

Can’t you just burn the house down and claim off the insurance?

trail_rat
    Free Member

wheres the repair ?

slowoldman

Er… Isn’t it supposed to go to a storm sewer?

globalti
    Free Member

So you’ve buried the bottom end of that pipe 12″ down in solid concrete, water is running down the wall and soaking the foundations and you’re wondering how to improve the drainage?

Why not cut the downpipe high up and add an oblique run, taking the water away from that area altogether and draining it safely away into a gully?

Or intercept the downpipe and fit a water butt with an overflow running away somewhere else.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

The whole concrete is the repair. The garage is getting the gutter fitted this week. The concrete area used to be 10-12″ higher but under a corrugated plastic roof.

So, any ideas what I can do with the now-pooling rain water from the driveway?

trail_rat
    Free Member

you concreted right up to your house ?

phiiiiil

How did the concrete area used to be higher when there’s a door there that’s only a few inches up?

Assuming I understand what you’re trying to do, I’d look into some arrangement like this:

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Ok…the concrete area used to be the raised floor of a car port. It didn’t go across the door. It was removed (rubble, slabs, bricks, concrete) and a nice level concrete slab poured in it’s place. The whole drive leans toward the house slightly so comments about pouring a wonky slab not required. There was no drainage there beforehand.

Anywaaaaay….

Yes, that picture is the kind of thing I’ve got in mind. Any idea of the parts or where to get such a thing from.

spooky_b329

If it all leans towards the house, I’d say pretty important to break out the angle grinder, cut out a 6 inch strip of concrete out along the house and put in one of those long continuous drains with metal grid along it…your downpipe can terminate in it too.

Damp problems ahead otherwise…

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Happy doing that. How would I get the water into the downpipe? Or am I asking daft questions? I’ve no idea about all of this

slowoldman

Could you post a photo of the top of the downpipe?

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’m not meaning to be rude but you didn’t pay anyone to do that “repair” did you? The drainage should have been sorted prior to the pour.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

spooky_b329

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Which pipework to make this sump drain?’ is closed to new replies.