Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Which phone for MTBing – i.e. maps and GPS-routes
  • flyingfox
    Free Member

I was out yesterday in Aviemore with a friend. He has an iPhone, which has an application, which effectively tracks where we went, average speed, height gain etc. etc. Are there any other phones that do this? These functions are really important as I am building up a database of routes to lead folk and a memory jogger would be nice!

Thanks

DickBarton

Well the IPhone has it, I believe Blackberry do something similar and I think Sony Ericsson have something as well as Nokia – but I think the SE and Nokia stuff isn't quite as fancy as the Iphone app…but there is stuff available.

Not sure if Viewranger (or whatever it is called) or Memorymap can take your phone GPS and plot the routes and then allow you to download.

I've got the SE (as you know) and it has a GPS built-in along with Google Maps, I can see if I can plot my route and see if it is something I can export (perhaps in .kml format)…

joemarshall
    Free Member

Nokia has it, and it is a lot fancier than the iPhone apps (if you pay for Viewranger), or pretty much the same (if you use the built in sportstracker).

Android phones (HTC Hero etc.) have basically the same kind of programs as the iPhone apps. They supposedly have better battery life while using the GPS (some people with iPhones moan about getting only 2 or 3 hours of GPS tracking off a battery charge – maybe someone will pop up to say if this is realistic).

Joe

clubber
    Free Member

Nokia sportstracker is really good – had it previous to my iphone. If this is critical to you I wouldn't get an iphone as you can't run mapping in the background (unless you jailbreak it) which means it'll stop tracking if someone calls or you get a text – fine if it's for info for you (like me) but not so good if getting the route logged is critical.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Memory map are bringing out an all for the iphone next year, worth considering if you have MM.

IanMmmm
    Free Member

On Android.

Mytracks for simple gpx track recording. I get over 5 hours of recording on my HTC Magic with everything else turned off. It can run in the background while you access OS Map, Googlemaps, makes calls or do anything else you want with the phone.

Velox if you want more fully featured GPS cycle computer on your phone.

flyingfox
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Nokia sounds good. The Hero has quite a slow processor doesn't it? Forgot to say, I'm HIDEOUSLY impatient so that might not work if it's true?

It's maybe a Nokia E71 then…?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Which phone for MTBing – i.e. maps and GPS-routes’ is closed to new replies.