Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Which phone and why ? .. HTC v Nexus ?
  • stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Looking at new phones on cheaper contracts and like the look of the HTC one mini 2 and the Google nexus 5 , cant decide which one to go for ….
    Your views please

robware
    Free Member

I’d go for the Nexus as there’s going to be less bloatware crap installed. HTC are notorious for preloading crap you don’t want, and it’s not necessarily removable either.

Also, the mini 2 isn’t actually all that mini compared to the normal one. When I saw it in the shop the other day it looked about 2cm shorter at most.

Steelsreal

moto g 4g ?

Cougar

I’ve not seen the Mini 2, but the biggest difference between the original Mini and the One were in specification rather than size.

HTC are notorious for preloading crap you don’t want

I quite like the Sense interface. YMMV.

Mikkel
    Free Member

HTC their sense interface is nicer than standard android

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Out of them two get the Nexus 5. Better specced. The One Mini 2 is very poor specced wise. Or look at Sony’s mini versions.

Cougar

That would seem to be the consensus, yes. It’s a very pretty thing but “laggy” would send me running.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/htc-one-mini-2-1248694/review

cudubh

I have a nexus 5 which I like lots but it feels very much like Google is watching every move I make. Maybe an issue with all android phones but this is my first so can’t compare to others e.g. it added a bunch of pictures to my contacts that it pulled off the internet presumably, not random ones but actual pictures of the right people from God knows where.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

I do like the new Moto G 2014 , but for some odd reason it doesnt have 4G ?

ell_tell
    Free Member

I have the old HTC One and a Nexus 5 as my work phone.

To hold and to look at I think the HTC is much nicer than the 5, but (well, with EE network anyway) it comes loaded with a load of apps and crap I can’t easily delete.

The Nexus is great to use and a decent camera too. Lighter too if that bothers you. I don’t much like hangouts instead of the HTC’s text messaging app. You’ll probably get the latest Android updates with the Nexus whereas you can often wait a while with HTC.

andytherocketeer

nexus 5 or moto-g or is it moto-S? LTE – prefer vanilla android.

used to have HTC – sense was OK, but the amount of c**p that HTC preload, and force you to have, and can’t remove without rooting and replacing with cyanogenmod was annoying.

edit: and the desire feels much much heavier than the larger nexus 5, and only ever got one update. 2nd update was downloadable via PC and installable only via USB, not over the air.

DougD

Just got a Sony Xperia z3 compact, very impressed, good size, spec and price

the_lecht_rocks

Bought the nexus 5 today for £280 cpw. It seems excellent and fast !!!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Nexus 5 outright and get a better contract. Got mine and it’s great

miketually
    Free Member

The Nexus will be getting the new L version of Android soon. No idea how long you’ll need to wait for the HTC to get it.

climbingkev
    Free Member

I’ve had at least half a dozen HTC’s all top spec on release, they all slow over time and build quality was never great. The newer aluminium ones may be better. Had a Nexus 5 since release, if anything it gets faster with every software update, which you’ll always get before anyone else.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Which phone and why ? .. HTC v Nexus ?’ is closed to new replies.