Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Which petrol strimmer?
  • iolo
    Free Member

For wall edges, borders, paths, round trees etc.Garden is 2,000m2 but most is cut with mower so strimmer is needed for tidying up.
    Is Stihl still the daddy (their low end ones seem fine) or can you get better cheaper?

convert

Honda 4 stroke strimmers have always have a good rep too.

ski
    Free Member

Stihl petrol

We use FS 240’s at work (local park keeper), but I have a basic FS38 to use at home, starts well, cut is reasonable, nice and light to use, sips fuel.

Spare are easy to get hold of, but can be expensive

flip
    Free Member

Fs38 fine for home

matt_outandabout

Jus bough a Stihl fs40 for £144 last night – it seems a no nonsense, well made thing, that should way outlast the cheap crap from big sheds..

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Stihl have been hugely surpassed by eastern brands. Tanaka, kawasaki, echo. Would you need a cowhorn brushcutter or a wee loop strimmer?

I bought an echo srm4000 5 years ago used for £120 when I started my business and it is still going with no major faults at all. Superb. Also a wee loop handle tanaka tbc230 that cost 200 new and 3 years old without a hitch. Both machines are way smoother, lower vibes than stihls best and parts have been easy (filters, a primer bulb and new heads).

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I bought a used Stihl FS450 for £200. Great machine, its got a load more power the the 43cc Kawasaki it replaced. It’s worth buyin chainsaw trousers and helmet. You’ll need a harness too.

mulacs

Low end stihl are good, bombproof… Only stipulation I’d make is get one with a straight shaft as opposed to bent, keeps toes out of way and easier to clean upedges of lawn etc. if you’re going to be doing large areas go for ‘cow horn’ type handlebars, otherwise round loop is fine. I’ve got an Fs55 which has done me proud. We use the big boys fs460/510’s in work which are great fun but a bit ott for garden…!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

If It’s just for strimming grass you don’t need anything fancy. A few weeks ago I was given (well, swapped for 4 cans of Stella) a McCulloch 25cc jobby, I sorted the line out (.80mm single) & it’s absolutely slaughtered a well overgrown garden which is 90ft X 30ft ish. A brush blade would be handy for the heavier stuff, there’s some mahoosive thistles in there but It’s done ok.
    Our local BATA Country store have some twin line/brushcutter 52cc machines for about £140, their own brand, dunno who makes them. Stihl are probably the Dogs but they’re for everyday use I suppose. I used to have a Mitsubishi ex council/cowhorn handled/full harness affair, you could chop trees down with that bugger!

spooky_b329

Aldi have brushcutter/strimmers from today for £99

Davesport

A free one 😀 Neighbour asked me if I wanted one, not cutting properly & the thing kept stopping & was a pig to start. As he handed it to me he reminded me to add 10% oil to the petrol 😯 Some fresh fuel & oil mixed at 2% and it’s running sweet. I offered him it back but he’s gone & bought another one. I’ve told him to run the new one on 10% too 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Which petrol strimmer?’ is closed to new replies.