Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Which pedals? Nano's or MG1's
  • goog
    Free Member

MG1’s

ash.addy
    Free Member

MG1 from high on bikes £32 ish if I remember correctly.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Nanos, MG1 are knackered if you hit the pin- metal too soft

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

ive used both, and i prefer the nanos. asrockthreegozy says the MGs are soft and get beat up quickly IME

goog
    Free Member

but the MG1’s have 3 more pins than the Nanos

MG1’s !

chakaping
    Free Member

but the MG1’s have 3 more pins than the Nanos

But they fall out if you look at them funny

Nanos!

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

More pins doesn’t mean more grip

goog
    Free Member

who said out about more grip ?

AdeC
    Free Member

have had a couple of sets of MG1’s from an ebay seller in Hong Kong. approx £60 inc the titanium axles iirc. No issues with import tax/duty.

They weight next to nothing and have held up well on my DH and trail bike. Downside is they look a bit fugly.

evillittlegoat
    Free Member

My driveside MG1 has started creaking and needs attention. Its only had 3 months of tame, mostly wheels-on-the-ground, riding. I’ll be trying something else next time.

flyingmonkeycorps

MG1s were a little bit small for my feet. This may be a concern. Not used the Nanos, but Gusset Slim Jims are that little bit wider.

ashfanman
    Free Member

I’ve had a set of MG1s for about 18 months, haven’t serviced them at all in that time and yet haven’t had any issues with them. They are a bit soft, so do get beat up, but in my experience it’s only cosmetic – I’ve had quite a few rocky pedal strikes and haven’t managed to dislodge a pin yet.

The Nanotecs are thinner, tougher and the platform is a bit bigger, but they are heavier and (I think) marginally more expensive. Depends on what you’re looking for really.

neninja
    Free Member

Same as you goat – only been using MG1’s since last October time.

One has got really stiff despite my packing them with grease from new and regreasing since aswell.

It seems to be one of the bushes but you can’t replace them. I’ll be getting something different that runs on double bearings and no bushes.

grum
    Free Member

I have both and the Nanos are miles better imo.

wl
    Free Member

MG1’s don’t last two minutes if you hit them on rocks – the metal’s too soft, and wrecked threads mean you can’t replace the pins.

cookeaa

Hedge your bets, fit one of each…

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve got a spare right-hand MG1 you can have cheap, anyone with a left-hand nano to offer?

big_scot_nanny

i did use MG1s, but have converted to Nanos. A fair bit bigger platform, thinner (I notice it!).

Apart from that, MG1s have been pretty flawless over the years so either is good.

Kev

Shackleton

I got some nanos to replace my slim jims which I found to be a bit narrow and unsupportive for my size 12 feet. Nanos have been ace so far and look and feel well made. Hope that helps a bit.

Andituk
    Free Member

I’ve got two sets of MG1s, both done lots of miles, one mainly in the rocky peak district and at Lee Quarry bashing off rocks left right and centre. Only dislodged pin, and only one of the pedals, at 18 months old (other set about 6 months older) has started to creak a bit.

Northwind

They’re both good, I’m using both on various bikes… Never had any bother at all with losing pins in 2 years of using MGs and they’ve taken some pretty horrible knocks, I wouldn’t have blamed them at all if they’d shed a couple. Cage is a wee bit out of shape but nothing to cause a problem. But I do reckon the Nanos are more durable.

Grip, mmm. Well is it that simple? I reckon that the MG1s have more outright grip despite the smaller platforms, the pins seem to be better located for me. But, the thinner body of the Nanos seems to mean that when you turn the pace up a bit they don’t need as much mechanical grip, to get a better result. Both have far more grip than they need even before you stick a sticky shoe on them though.

I like both. I’ve ended up with the Nanos on the bikes that get the hardest use and the Nanos on the lightest most XC bike but honestly I would be totally happy with any mix or combination, they’re both very good.

minzo
    Free Member

thanks for all the replies, think I’m gonna go with the nano’s

sefton
    Free Member

how about these (used around 10 times before going clipless)

£40 posted

roger_mellie

Thanks to the OP for the link – was in the market for some new pedals and that made my mind up – just ordered some Nanos from Ready to Ride for £36. Saved £7 off Superstar’s already low prices! Only available in black though, so no pimping for me.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

my MG1s are about 14 months old, no pin damage despite lots of strikes, bearings still smooth so theyw in imo!

mikey74
    Free Member

The thinner the better IME, so get the thinnest ones you can afford.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Which pedals? Nano's or MG1's’ is closed to new replies.