Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Which PC/Mac monitor?
  • mboy
    Free Member

Got a late 2012 Mac Mini with Quad Core i7 processor that I’ve just put a 500GB SSD and 16GB of RAM in, so it’s a pretty powerful workhorse now. I need a much better screen than the Samsung TV I’m using right now as I’m going to be using it for a bit of photoshop and light video editing. I’d love an all singing all dancing screen but for 2 things…

Firstly, I don’t have an ulimited budget, perhaps £200.

Secondly, my Mac mini will only support 1920×1200 max resolution via HDMI. It will do 2560×1600 via Thunderbolt, but I’m guessing that involves spending a large amount of cash!

So… Options? Have heard good things about the Dell U2412M, but it doesn’t have HDMI in, only VGA, DVI and Display port (though I’m guessing I could connect to display port via my mac’s Thunderbolt port?)

Cheers in advance for your help.

somouk
    Free Member

Yeah, Dell monitors are generally pretty good.

DisplayPort should run from the thunderbolt too but check the specs of the mac.

There are rumours new apple monitors will be announced tomorrow so you may get cheaper first gen apple screens soon. May still be out of budget though.

Dell UltraSharps are where you want to be. U2414H is within budget and a great monitor.

CraigW
    Free Member

HDMI to DVI cables are available for a few quid. Its essentially the same thing, so it won’t lose any quality.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/dell-e2417h-monitor?c=au&cs=aubsd1&l=en&s=bsd
    How do you reckon this one stacks up – very similar spec but without all the USB etc

alexxx
    Free Member

I’ve got 3 U2414H monitors and I would buy another without a hesitation.. going 27″ next time though. Great monitors for detail and colour accuracy. The stand works very well too.

DVI to HDMI cable is wha you want… any digital connection can switch to another digital connection pretty much. Ebay £3 cable is fine

mboy
    Free Member

There are rumours new apple monitors will be announced tomorrow so you may get cheaper first gen apple screens soon. May still be out of budget though.

6pm GMT tonight for the keynote apparently. But even an older gen one will still be way out of budget I suspect. Would have just bought another iMac though if I was bothered about the Apple screen, needed the quad core i7 and ability to put SSD and max the RAM out way more importantly.

I’ve got 3 U2414H monitors and I would buy another without a hesitation.. going 27″ next time though. Great monitors for detail and colour accuracy. The stand works very well too.

The U2414H seems highly recommended, but if anything, I’d rather buy a 16:10 than a 16:9 screen, it’s actually going to be used as a screen in my office at work. Work will involve mainly normal light office duties, but a bit of website work also some photoshop and light video editing.

Anybody got any feedback on the Dell U2415? Just outside the self imposed £200 limit, but looks like it could be spot on.

stevehine

I’ve got a U2415; it’s a great monitor; can’t fault it for the money. Go for a thunderbolt / diisplayport connection rather than HDMI imo – you can pick up a mDP -> DisplayPort cable for not very much – in fact I’m pretty sure I got one in the box with my monitor …

Steve

dogmatix

I’ve got a dell 2515 and it is also a cracking monitor. Higher res than you specified, but I am chiming in to confirm the quality of the dell ultrasharps. I really don’t think you can beat them for the money. They have cornered the the market for budget quality monitors.

TFT central is the best place I have found for reviews and most dells are there:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2415.htm

mboy
    Free Member

Go for a thunderbolt / diisplayport connection rather than HDMI imo

Ok, but what’s your reasoning?

Connection wise, I’ve got the following on the back of my Mac Mini…

That is to say 1 HDMI port and 1 Thubderbolt v1 port. The Dell U2415 has HDMI and Display Port. I’ve got a spare HDMI connector, and a spare thunderbolt cable, but I understand that though Thunderbolt and Display Port are physically the same connector, they don’t talk to each other without the correct cable… Is that correct? If so, what would I need?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Asus are well regarded. Worth doing some google research as generally you can find a deal on something and as you say you don’t need 4k etc. Go large ! My 24 inch Samsung feels small now.

My 2009 Mini is still going strong, many more years of great service ahead for you

mboy
    Free Member

I’ve got a dell 2515 and it is also a cracking monitor. Higher res than you specified, but I am chiming in to confirm the quality of the dell ultrasharps.

Would love higher res, but sadly my Mac Mini will only support it via Thunderbolt connection… I may be wrong here, but wouldn’t that mean I’d have to buy an Apple screen to get higher res? Or will it work ok via the Display Port connection on the Dell?

jambalaya
    Free Member

The display out connectors work fine, my machine is old so I use them for both VGA and HDMI as required. As an aside if anyone wants a DVI one I have an unused one – STW special offer !

stevehine

Thunderbolt / mDP are the same as far as displays are concerned. I’d pick it; because you can daisy chain displays + it supports a higher data transfer rate vs the HDMI you’ve got…

oh; and plus – that monitor only has one HDMI port; so it leaves it free if there’s something else you want to connect via HDMI later on…

mboy
    Free Member

Thunderbolt / mDP are the same as far as displays are concerned. I’d pick it; because you can daisy chain displays + it supports a higher data transfer rate vs the HDMI you’ve got…

OK, but… Does that mean my Mac Mini would support up to 2560×1600 res over Display port then, as it claims to over Lightning port?

If so, I may as well spend a bit extra and get a higher res screen.

stevehine

It should do yes; Thunderbolt is actually Displayport + PCIe transmission lines; the underlying video signal is the same between the two connectors.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Which PC/Mac monitor?’ is closed to new replies.