Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Which part-time jobs in The Lakes?
  • toxicsoks
    Free Member

Taking early retirement, towards the end of this year and moving up to The Lakes, from Leeds. Although I’ll get a reasonable pension, Mrs Sox and I will still need part-time jobs – not least, to make more social contacts. Her Ladyship shouldn’t have any problems as she has bags of PA/secretarial and reception experience (mostly NHS but it’s all transferable) but me? Hmm, my 30 odd years of full time employ has been in biomedical science -last decade or so as a manager – so, I feel, I haven’t got a very wide base of skills for work outside the NHS. The point is, I don’t want the same level/type of work/responsibility. I’ll stack shelves, drive vans, anything that will bring in a bit of money for beer and shiny bike bits.
    My question is: What areas of work should/could I look at and would I benefit from taking basic food hygiene qualifications (or similar)……or even a Cytech 1/2, for instance?

postierich
    Free Member

We seem to have a high turnaround of staff RM will only take on PT contracts 25-30hr.Pretty chilled job as long as you have thick skin 🙂

jekkyl

Congratulations on your retirement, you lucky devil.
    Bar work? I’d look for office work, where you’re sitting down, sitting down is good.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

I’ve been in the NHS for over 30 yrs…… 😉

Funnily enough, Soks senior was a postal worker – I remember the 11 week strike in the 70’s when he was a union rep. *shudders*

toxicsoks
    Free Member

jekkyl – SITTING DOWN!!!!???? Nah, can’t do “sitting down”. The postie idea sounds good, though.

jekkyl

iiwy live frugally & ride my bike every single day, meeting the wife out for lunch occasionally.

kevj
    Free Member

A friend of mine took early retirement a few years back and managed to find a job delivering leaflets.

Do you know when you go to a B&B or a tourist spot and there is the big cardboard leaflet display? He re-filled them. He was given a van and a petrol card and he worked his own hours. Transfer this job to the lakes and you have the perfect retirement job.

Rscott
    Free Member

Aldi in kendal or barrow 15 or 20 hour contracts pays ok for stacking shelfs if you just do the 20 hours your wage would be just shy of taxable too.

Mackem

The national trust seem to have a few part-time jobs up that way.

badlydrawnchalk
    Free Member

It maybe too late but Go ape were recruiting for Grizedale and Whinlatter both with a variety of hours, we used to have a retired bobby working at Grizedale to fund his cigars and ski holidays!

dabble
    Free Member

All this youth unemployment and your still after a job, greedy guts 😉

stevestunts
    Free Member

Maybe something like a membership recruiter for one of the charities operating in the area? National Trust, Cumbria Wildlife Trust, etc?

The NT have a chap up at the car park at Tarn Hows on a seemingly permanent basis, with a display outside his van, chatting to passers-by.

Ultimately you’re still asking people for money, but I’d consider it a world away from charity mugging in the high street.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

dabble – Member

All this youth unemployment and your still after a job, greedy guts
    I’m, probably, after a, part time, job that de yoot wouldn’t get out of bed for… 8)

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’m, probably, after a, part time, job that de yoot wouldn’t get out of bed for…

Paper boy?

toxicsoks
    Free Member

😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Which part-time jobs in The Lakes?’ is closed to new replies.