Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Which panniers bags/racks for off road use?
  • qtip

Need to get some panniers for off-road commuting. Need to be able to carry a 17″ Macbook, set of work clothes (inc. shoes), and spare set of cycling clothes (hate putting sweaty kit back on). Also needs to be secure enough for riding off road and preferably quick to put on/off. The rack is going to be fitted to an On-One 456, although may want to switch it between that and my road bike. Any suggestions as to what to look at?

Basil

Tubus Fly + Ortlieb “city” front panniers.

Although don’t think you can off road with panniers. You can commute tho’.

ton

i use a carradice sqr tour for offroad touring.
    seatpost mounted, good as gold.

qtip

Not sure the Carradice would be big enough for my needs. The On-One has the appropriate mounts for a pannier rack, so would be looking for a normal style rack rather than a seat tube mounted one.

@Basil – I’m not talking about crazy technical off road riding, it will mosty be pretty well-surfaced stuff, but I need something that’s not going to bounce off if it gets jiggled around a bit. Only want rear panniers, not front ones.

scotroutes

The Topeak SuperTourist DX will satisfy your requirements. I’ve bikepacked hundreds of miles using one – lots of it on really rough terrain.

Take your pick from panniers – Ortlieb are amongst the best. However, your laptop is going to get shaken around an awful lot on anything other than smooth surfaces. I’d be looking at some sort of rucksack for that.

qtip

Good point. I won’t have to take the laptop every day as it will generally get left at work, so perhaps a backpack for the laptop and panniers for the rest.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Second the rucksack for the laptop. Even if you have a saddle bag or panniers for your cloths, shoes power supply e.t.c. the laptop will appreciate being on your body and if that is all you have on your back it will not be very heavy. I’ve use carradice pannier off road. Although not crazy narcore mine coped fine with the decent from the top of devil’s staircase into Kinlochleven, which is probably more than a commute would be.

garage-dweller

Qtip I run a Topeak rack on my 456 which is compatible with our kiddy seat.

Beware of the following….
    – the rack mounts on mine are REALLY close to the dropout there is about 0.5mmclearance between skewer and rack (shimano skewer). The disc brake version of the rack does not fit at all as it has big feet to accomodate the kink in the rack legs. You need to check this whatever rack you choose.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Which panniers bags/racks for off road use?’ is closed to new replies.