Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Which online film/movie service? Netflix etc?
  • dmorts

I like the idea of having a library of films on demand. I’ve got a Samsung smart TV and have signed up to Netflix app for the free trial. But it’s not that good at all! Can find the odd film worth watching but overall the choice seems a bit poor.

I might do the same for Lovefilm, but have heard this is pretty much the same….

I’ve got a few other options, get a Now TV box for peanuts and get a monthly Sky movies pass. Or could pay as I go using Blinkbox. Anyone have experience of these?

Blackflag
    Free Member

Lovefilm is pretty good with lots of world cinema etc. but my internet connection is a bit too shitty and i can’t be bothered with all the buffering.

bigblackshed

Lovefilm is OK for movies. Not as good as they would have you believe. The instant TV selection is better. We have been watching series that we either missed or stopped watching, not because they weren’t very good but more that the schedules got shifted and ended up on at silly o’clock. Shift working didn’t help but I can now watch when it suits me.

Was going to try Netflix but again no info about what’s available until after you sign up. Can’t get them to accept a free trial from me so not gone any further. I told them they’re not getting any money until they sort that out. There’s not a hole in my life that Netflix can fill ATM, so……..

dmorts

Had a look at Lovefilm tonight, intially it looked great, loads on there so signed up for 30 day trial of ‘Instant’ i.e. can download it on watch via TV/laptop etc straight away. Turns out all the good films I saw earlier that made it look good are not available on ‘Instant’…..

clubber
    Free Member

They’re all ok. Some will suit better than others depending on your preferences but having tried all the main ones, I found that none are really comprehensive.

For me, netflix s the best but a good bit of that was for kid’s stuff.

butcher

We have Lovefilm and I rarely watch anything. The menus on the TV widget aren’t very helpful at all when it comes to finding stuff and they never seem to have anything new, or even vaguely new. I might be very wrong on that, but that’s my impressions of using it.

They’re OK for stuff through the post.

samuri
    Free Member

I have an account on lovefilm and netflix. They make it really easy to turn the subscription off on one and switch to the other which is what I do. Watch all the films I want to on netflix, then switch to lovefilm. By the time I get back to netlifx again they’ve added loads of new films.

Although i’ve been on netflix for ages because I’m watching all of breaking bad. It really is as good as people say it is.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

We’ve got both just now but will probably opt for lovefilm for the DVD option as a lot of the newer films only seem available that way.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I switch between both too – and am also watching Breaking Bad – but I have to say, Netflix streaming is much nicer to watch!

That said – will have to switch back for Vikings Season 2 😉

samuri
    Free Member

Netflix streams really badly to my kindle (but brilliantly to everything else) . I’m still convinced amazon have nobbled the app to make it appear to be poor quality.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Is there anyone streaming new dvd releases?

Looks like our local Blockbuster is going – but we are getting fiber broadband before the end of the year so I see a possible solution!

jambalaya
    Free Member

iTunes has some decent new releases including independents . Vimeo have started doing some smaller budget independent films. I prefer to download movie and watch later to avoid streaming stop/start issues. In my experience lovefilm selection is much better with actual DVDs than streaming

Allegedly the best way is to download torrents, people put up new releases very quickly 😉

butcher

Allegedly the best way is to download torrents, people put up new releases very quickly

It seems to be the only way to get them at the minute. There are no video stores any more. With Lovefilm you get no real choice of which DVD gets delivered if you have several on your list (and if you only watch two a month, it would take a while to get to the one you’re really looking forward to watching). And the streaming services doesn’t offer a lot.

Serious question. Is there a rights issue for people like Love Film that means it is difficult to stream new content? I think Sky get sole rights to screen new movies for a period of time, don’t they? I’m genuinely a bit lost and unsure about where I can watch new releases without breaking the law or going to the Cinema.

beefheart
    Free Member

I had love film for a while, but found it crap after a while.
    There appears to be very few newer films, and choices are very limited.
    I kept mine for 3 months and cancelled it, as there appeared to be very little left that I wanted to watch.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Also ex-LoveFilm subscriber here. I just found it crapper and crapper all the time. Kept meaning to cancel and then they became part of Amazon which was the nudge that I needed to cancel it.

dmorts

How are Netflix and Lovefilm are so bad? I suspect it is a rights issue, but there is obviously a hole in the market there. I believe the US versions are far more comprehensive

Maybe Now TV is worth a punt with the Sky Movie Pass…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Which online film/movie service? Netflix etc?’ is closed to new replies.