Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • which one would you have?
  • jacob46
    Free Member

Can’t decide. I’ve already got 2 specialized bikes. HT & tarmac. I Diddent really want another one but I do like the new diverge. I also like the whyte Cornwall.it will be my winter/commute bike.

http://whyte.bike/gb/models/commuterroad/rd-7-road-disc/cornwall/

http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/diverge-comp-smartweld/34093/15diverge

munrobiker
    Free Member

Probably neither- the Whyte isn’t bad value and looks nice, but the Apex gearing and Sram hydraulic brakes, given last year’s recall fiasco, would put me off as being quite low quality for that money.

The Specialized, with 105 and an aluminium frame, seems VERY expensive.

The Giant Defy Advanced looks good, but is on cable discs not hydros. Ultegra and full carbon for less money than either of those, and a very nice frame.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/defy.advanced.1/19188/77290/

devash
    Free Member

That Spesh looks hideous, and is an absolute ripoff for an Alu frame at £2k, hydraulic disc brakes or not.

Whyte all the way, but in all honesty you could get something far cheaper with better drivetrain and tried and tested mechanical discs.

That is unless you’re an Audi-driving dentist with loadsamoney to fling about. 😆

jacob46
    Free Member

Devash, what would have then please?

munrobiker
    Free Member

I just went to recheck the price of the Spesh- I thought it was £1800 when I said it was very overpriced!

devash
    Free Member

You really need to ask yourself “what do I need?” as opposed to “what do the marketing guys tell me I need?”

For a winter commuter / training bike I personally wouldn’t go for a carbon frame. Something like a Whyte Charing Cross if you are edging towards the cyclocross side of things which the Diverge is aimed at, or a Cannondale CAADX would be my recommendation. Anything with Tiagra / 105 and BB5/BB7 brakes would be ideal, and if you look around you could easily get something for around £1,000 brand new. Tiagra and 105 kit works well and is cheap enough for you to replace at the end of winter when its all rusty and knackered, and even then you’ll probably only need a new chain and cassette. The shifters will go forever with little attention.

If you really want carbon then an On-One Dirty Disco would be hard to beat on price, but as far as I’m aware the latest build only comes with SRAM Rival kit.

If you want something more racy then you can’t go wrong with that Giant Defy, but again, anything over £1k for a winter bike seems excessive unless you are competing.

jacob46
    Free Member

Devash thank you for your advice. Buying a car is easier.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

mine was an unusual flat-bar build so not quite comparable …..but I’ve just done a Hongfu disc full-carbon build for a mate with full Dura Ace, Hope hydros, handbuilts (Archetypes on Tune hubs running tubeless) and decent ancillaries and it came in at £2.3k

Puts some of these prices into perspective….

The Giant Defy disc is the tidiest drop-bar setup I’ve seen so far.

jacob46
    Free Member

Giant defy? Which one takes mud guards ?

devash
    Free Member

You’re welcome 😉

I certainly wouldn’t buy a Specialized bike unless it was discounted in a sale. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve had two of them (one road bike, one full sus MTB which I still own) but I don’t think they represent particularly good value for money nowadays.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I don’t think any Defys have mudguard mounts but if you were to get hold of some Crud road fenders or SKS Race Blades (perhaps even the Long option) they will fit without needing the mounts.

stumpy01

Don’t Giant the concealed mudguard eyelets? I think the Defy does take guards. Have a look on their website; I’m sure there is something on there about them.

jacob46
    Free Member

i cant see anything. the tyre clearance is my main interest. i dont want to go to work on afrosty morning wearing 25 tires. would prefer 30+

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘which one would you have?’ is closed to new replies.