Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Which one would you choose & why please (CX)
  • snakebite
    Free Member

This one!

firestarter
    Free Member

The superx rival is lovely

bland

Can i just throw this into the mix!

discoduck
    Free Member

This one in Fresh Mint Flavour, Price was dependant on Spec, Build etc.
    Had Stans Rims amd a few nice touches,

http://www.ninerbikes.com/RLT9

Dibbs
    Free Member

My Whyte Saxon Cross does for me, I think the 2015 looks nice.

womp
    Free Member

The 2015 canyon inflite are now online (no bolt through axle)

http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/series/inflite-al.html

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

CX bike in my garage is a CL5T – toe overlap does my head in! But I do like it as a go ride anywhere bike. GF just bought one of these..

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

2015 Canyon Inflite AL9.0:

Quite nice that!

AlexSimon

Anyone seen a price for the KTM Canic CXC? (the orange carbon one with Shimano hydros)

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

£2400

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Interesting seatpost on the Canyon:

AlexSimon

£2400

Ouch

DT78
    Free Member

Anything else similar to beat the caadx rival spec with hydro brakes and sub 1.5k?

jet26
    Free Member

Pinnacle Arkose 4 – 105 and hydro discs

Pinnacle Arkose 5 – SRAM 1x11cx and hydro discs

(On road.cc)

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Arkose 4 is £1250, 5 is £1450.
    Guess a lot depends on the wheels -they were pretty heavy on the old Arkose right?

DT78
    Free Member

Ooo the akrose 5 has clutch mech and 1×11 sram. However probably too much CX focused as I’d want to use similar to OP and significant winter road mileage as well as occasionally fireroad / forest blasts.

Very few seem to be spec’ing sram. Is it rubbish for CX or something?

nemesis
    Free Member

You may be surprised – I looked at 1×10 with a 44 chainring and 11-36 cassette and compared to my 2x setup (Current gearing 50/34 and 11-28) which has a fairly wide range (used for road and offroad, rather than CX racing), it only loses two hardest gears – arguably about 1.5.

Given that I almost never use those two top gears, even on road, that would have been pretty practical. As it turned out, I had the parts to stick with 2x more cheaply so I went with that so there’s a good chance I’d change to 1x next time.

I don’t know what cassettes you can use with CX11 but if you can fit an 11-40 or 11-42, say, you may well find that it has all the range you need and maybe even more.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

A few pics from the Kona website.

The 1st pic suggests it comes with plenty of stem spacers to adjust front end height! 😀

Decision made.

MrPottatoHead

Literally just picked my JTS up from the shop and the photos don’t do the colour justice. It’s much more green in the flesh. Can confirm plenty of spacers as per pics above. Hopefully I’ll get out on it later if I can get the stock pedals off-didn’t think to get shop to do it and they’re pedal spanner only….grrr!

MrPottatoHead

I got the pedals sorted and took it for a quick shakedown ride so thought I’d share my first impressions.

I went for 53cm frame and sizing was spot on for me at 5’7. Bars could do with being a bit wider but that might be something I’ll get used to.

It instantly felt pretty quick; on cycle paths and smooth bridle way I was comfortably 2mph quicker than my mtb without putting in much effort. Then I hit some bumpier ground and it became apparent how stiff the front-end was. It is bone-jarringly rigid. I’ve got Exotic rigids in the mtb so thought feel might be similar but this is way stiffer. 30mins in and my hands were pretty numb. I don’t ride road much and never ridden cx so may get better with time or change of position. Back end was surprisingly smooth though. Overall handling was much better than I expected so pleased so far.

Brakes were pretty poor but started to bed in a bit by end of ride. Wouldn’t say they had any more power than canti’s at this stage.

Tyres felt good off-road but shite on it. Might be my inexperience of narrow tread but I could feel the front end wandering a lot in the bends. I’ll see how I get on with them but may be first upgrade. Wheel build is also pretty poor-very slack spokes so will be getting out the spoke key before next ride.

Apart from a few niggles I think I’m going to have a lot of fun with this bike but I would say so far it is definitely at the faster, racier end of the cx spectrum than the comfortable all rounder some might hope for.

nemesis
    Free Member

It is bone-jarringly rigid. I’ve got Exotic rigids in the mtb so thought feel might be similar but this is way stiffer.

How much more volume/less pressure do you suppose your mtb tyres have compared to your cx ones? 🙂

Tyres felt good off-road but shite on it.

Skinny tyres with knobbles on them, at high pressure will never grip particularly well on the road.

CX bikes aren’t comfortable all rounders. They’re fantastic all rounders. I’m still sore from my CX ride on Sunday though as I tend to take it on mtb routes… 🙂

Glad you’re happy with it though

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

MrPottatoHead – Which shop did you buy it from?

I’ve been told the 2015 isn’t available yet……

Definitely having one though! 🙂

Think I might change the brakes, wheels & tyres straight away.

chowsh
    Free Member

Almost got this Colnago but then went for Kinesis pro6 frame to build up myself.

MrPottatoHead

Shop is just a small family run one local to me called Mitchell’s Cycles. They told me UK release date was 18th August so should be available everywhere now. Maybe just the size you’re after that’s not available yet?

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Which one would you choose & why please (CX)’ is closed to new replies.