Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Which one would you choose & why please (CX)
  • alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

2015 Cannondale CAADX Sram Rival Disc:

2015 Giant TCX SLR 1:

2015 Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6:

2015 Kona Jake the Snake:

Ive pretty much narrowed it down to these 4.

I have to admit, the Kona is my favourite looks wise.

All have very similar spec & fairly relaxed geometry (which I want) most importantly for my needs, all have the option to fit mudguards.

Im not looking for a CX race bike, but more an all rounder, something to commute on, ferry the kids about on & train on the road in the winter.

The Kona concerns me though – looks like they have cut the steerer to the minimum? – so no option to add spacers for more comfort.

Thoughts, advise, experiences & other options to consider appreciated. (I know these are 2015 models, so unlikely anyone has ridden these, but maybe last year’s model? )

Alan.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Looking at the pics, FSA must have made a killing selling chainsets!

Bregante

Without checking the specs, whichever one isn’t BB30 (so definitely not the cannondale)

IMO the Cannondale and the Giant are just ugly.

The Kona concerns me though – looks like they have cut the steerer to the minimum? – so no option to add spacers for more comfort.

On a non-race cross bike I like the bars set at or slightly below saddle height which would rule out the Kona for me. I hope this is just a marketing pic and the ones in the shops have a longer steerer.

The cross light seems to have a flattened top tube, which makes carrying easier. It also looks like it has rack mounts. It gets rated quite highly be people on here. And its just a nicer looking bike than the others.

Looking at the pics, FSA must have made a killing selling chainsets!

I always assume FSA is what they fit when getting bikes down to a price point!

m360
    Free Member

If they all feel the same on the test ride then whichever you can get the best deal on, in terms of price and groupset?

Sometimes buying a local bike you’ve been able to test ride is much better than one of the web that might seem slightly better on paper.

Or the Kona 😈

drovercycles
    Free Member

The Kinesis or the Kona for me – the others are a bit bland. These two look good!

Agree that the riding position on the Kona looks a bit aggressive (TT anyone?) although of course stems should always be slammed…

Clover

I love my Kona Jake the Snake… and this year’s model looks fantastic. Lucky you if you get one 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Not sure the SLR1 is worth the extra over the SLR2.

So in summary, wait to see what Rose and Canyon are offering after Eurobike.

😛

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Giant isn’t available in UK?
    Cannondale has hydraulic disks

I’m in a similar boat – waiting to see what Rose do with the Cross Pro DX.

Really interested in weight. Buying mine to replace a cheaper road bike, but with ability for paths etc. Needs to be better on road than my 10kg Genesis

Rose ones get down to 8ish kg and you can upgrade wheels etc for not much more…. Hoping they move to 11 speed 105 or Rival with hydraulic brakes.

Was expecting an announcement at Eurobike

dobo
    Free Member

What hydro brakes has the cannondale got?

Jamie
    Free Member

What hydro brakes has the cannondale got?

SRAM Rival.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The cannondale at least has hydro disks, one the one hand that’s no cables to get gunked/rusted on crappy winter roads, on the other hand they’re SRAM brakes.

Shimano seem to have dropped a bollok on this, loads of this year bikes marketing shots have the 105 hydro brakes on them, but nothing in the shops for the cross season!

dobo
    Free Member

Think i’ll stick with my canti or mini v for now, maybe next year, cant wait for some cheap light hydro brakes for the CX.

Probably the crosslight out of that lot but im biased as have the crosslight 5t.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

This looks interesting…….

2015 Raleigh RX PRO:

MrPottatoHead

I’ve plumped for the Jake the Snake-should have it next week fingers crossed. I’ve seen some pics with spacers-I think the stems only been slammed in promo pics. Admit other bikes look like better value but I got at a discount so happy enough. Was a bit put off Giant by proprietary seatpost and availabilty. Also looked at Kinesis but couldn’t find one in stock as complete build, although I didn’t try too hard.

jet26
    Free Member

The rose is going 11spd 105 for 2015 (emailed them). Not going bolt through though, staying qr front and rear. Price staying same I think

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’m a bit biased having a Pro6 but I have to say that if I were to choose between the ones above I’d probably go for the Cannondale. Having tried both, I much prefer hydraulic disc brakes to cable discs.

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve got an older model (yeah and lower spec!) Cannondale and those rear stays make for a lovely ride. Geometry is great too. .. however.. bb30 is shit and out of your list I’d choose the Kinesis.. (and that Raleigh is grim!)

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

MrPottatoHead:

Did you try the Kona before you bought it?

The size chart I looked at suggested id need a 63cm frame! 😕

firestarter
    Free Member

Where is the geometry of the cx bikes on rose site?

jet26
    Free Member

I doesn’t come up on rose site on mobile or tablet. Need to be on a desktop then click on ‘frame’ on the tabs and it comes up

firestarter
    Free Member

Ah I see thats me scuppered I dont have a real computer 🙁

MrPottatoHead

Nope 😳

I’m taking a punt on 53cm frame which ‘should’ be about right for me. The shop I’m getting it from is pretty pokey and doesn’t carry much stock or demo bikes so having to take a chance really.

iainc

I had an 07 Snake in that superb lumo green colour, great bike but harsh for type of riding OP is doing. That slammed front would hurt me touring and pootling. I sold it last year and bought a Croix De Fer which is better in just about every way for me. The 2015 CDF is even better…

[/quote]

fubar
    Free Member

Kinesis is still showing as 10 speed 105 on the web site but assume that will change soon ?

Have you looked at the Pinnacle Arkose 3 – http://road.cc/content/news/127425-pinnacle-launch-updated-arkose-and-dolomite-2015

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Did Rose say if they were going for hydraulic brakes too? I’m not really fussed about the number of cogs.
    Be interested to see if they go for SRAM Rival too – it’s a light groupset. Or even offer CX1…

senorj

When I chose – it was between a CDF or the Kinesis – I chose Kinesis.
    Principally because it was much lighter & ticked all the boxes ,plus I liked the colours. I bought the frame and built it up , 105 & hope fanboi style. In two years I’ve battered mine,if i kill the frame I’ll get another Pro6.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Thanks all so far.

That Kona I accidentally deleted:

Mmmm…….

bikebouy
    Free Member

If you ain’t racing it, get the relaxed one with guard mounts. They all look pretty much the same, but if I had to choose (for me to own) it’d be the Giant.
    But you’re not me and ride differently.. 😀

womp
    Free Member

Same boat here, I’d plump for the Kona out of the selection, I was hoping canyon or rose would realease a bolt through version this year but it’s not looking good so far

plus-one

Flip the stem on that kona and I’d have it 🙂

Dibbs
    Free Member

The last Kona Jake I picked up felt like it was made from lead, but that was quite a while ago, I hope they’ve got lighter.

DT78
    Free Member

Similar position. I’m leaning towards the cannondale due to rival and hydraulics

firestarter
    Free Member

I was leading towards the caax til i saw a superx mmm….

boxelder

the Kinesis and then get a SH Hope V twin off here.
    Kinesis wheels come highly rated (if they are on that model).
    Any comparison of rear tyre clearance, as 35mm+ needed for fun off road (IME)

discoduck
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at the same handfull of bikes, then i stumbled upon a Niner CX bike yesterday in a bike shop and well now it just has to be that one it’s stunning.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

I like the Cannondale & the spec is excellent.

Wonder why they felt the need to splatter ‘Cannondale’ all over it…….

That aside, it would probably look ok – wonder if they are just stickers that can be removed???

Jamie
    Free Member

You must be new to Cannondale. If there is a surface without a decal, then someone’s going to get fired.

nemesis
    Free Member

🙂

truenuf. Cannondales wouldn’t be Cannondales without that though. I’ve always quite liked them (though I’ve never owned one).

You can’t remove them BTW 😉

they have done some pretty cool ones in the past finished in matt black with gloss black logos so they were very subtle.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Yes, new to Cannondale – as above I have always liked them, but never owned one.

Niner CX?

What’s the model name & how much was it?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Which one would you choose & why please (CX)’ is closed to new replies.