Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Which one – Kinesis / empella / ridley CX
  • dazzydw
    Free Member

Trying to select a 48cm CX alu frame / carbon fork (canti) for son’s first 700c (up from 650c).
    Narrowed to in increasing price
    Kinesis crosslight fiveT
    Empella bonfire
    Ridley Xbow

Spring loaded to the kinesis. Are the others worth the extra £££?
    Anybody know the weight differences and if they would make a difference?

firestarter
    Free Member

Not much help but ive got a kinesis pro 6 and its very good i had an old empella and it was very good too . Tried a ridley and it was awful felt high up and super short and not at all stable at speed.

Worth a look at paul milnes bikes they have some good ones i had one of their columbus xwings i think they are just badged as paul milnes xwing now apparently they are empellas with a different paint job

As you dont need discs there should be some bargains to be had

dazzydw
    Free Member

Xwing, Columbus, forme all good (I have a Forme) but they don’t go down to 48. 50 is just on the big side.

dazzydw
    Free Member

anyone?

LS
    Free Member

Empellas are absolutely bombproof if that’s something you’re worried about. They also tend to have quite a short headtube so on a 48cm that might be a good thing.

Jase
    Free Member

Got my daughter the smallest Xbow, don’t know if that would have been the 48cm. Suffered from toe overlap (and she’s only a size 1 shoe), she raced it once and refused to ride it again!

dazzydw
    Free Member

Jase. – Ouch. Is she paying for the next one!? I think they go down to a 41 xxs,

Hooter
    Free Member

Very happy with the Kinesis Pro ? disc here, used as both a random bridleway explorer and general winter road bike.

Jase
    Free Member

Luckily I bought it used and sold for more than I paid 🙂

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I’ve got a Ridley coming, so will be able to tell you soon, but they do tend to be a bit bigger than the others.
    My old Empella was bombproof as above, but found it quite long in the top tube.
    Currently riding a Planet X Uncle John & that has major toe overlap (51cm, I’m 5’8) so can’t wait to get something a bit longer than that.

pirahna
    Free Member

I’ve owned a couple of Ridley CX bikes. The bottom brackets were quite high, I wouldn’t buy one without trying it first.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Which one – Kinesis / empella / ridley CX’ is closed to new replies.