Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Which one Islabikes or Frog Bikes 20" wheels?
  • Tasso
    Free Member

So my eldest is about ready to move up from his 16″ wheel Hotrock.

Islabikes Benin 20 Small is another £50 over a Frog 52 but supposedly a kilo lighter and comes with a cassette rear wheel rather than screw on freewheel and a set of Kenda small block eights.

Anyone know if the weights are accurate and how they actually compare?

Seems like the Frog sits between the Benin 20 small and large size wise if the specs and size guides are anything to go by. Does that really translate to reality.

Any other lightweight choices out there worthy of consideration?

booktownman
    Free Member

Where are you based? If you’re anywhere near Hereford/Brecon/South Wales you could come and demo a Frog at Drover Cycles in Hay on Wye.

T1000
    Free Member

how about a Cube Kid 200 or an Orbea MX20 Dirt

Tasso
    Free Member

Thanks but there a shops closer I could at least see the frog bikes. I was after comparisons by those that had either bike or suggestions for alternatives.

Cube is heavier than the Frog with a similar spec and price by the looks of things.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I could weigh our Beinn 20 small and large this evening if I remember

mtbfix

Having hefted our Cnoc 14 and the equivalent Frog, the Isla was noticeably lighter even when fitted with mudguards.

aracer
    Free Member

Isla weights are accurate IME.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Just weighed the Beinn 20 small and large on the bathroom scales. They both came out at 9.1 kg.
    For calibration, 9 litres of Aldi Apple juice came in at 9.6 kg including the 9 tetrapaks, so the scales seem reasonably accurate

isitafox
    Free Member

My son went to a Frog 55 after his 16″ Hotrock and I’d definitely get another. I don’t think the weight makes that much difference at all, he’s not struggled at all (and I live in the High Peak so wherever you go there’s a hill to ride up!).

jezketley
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered the Frog 55 for my girl, its the lovely white frame with assorted spots that sealed the deal. That the islabike may be lighter was not a relevant factor for her compared to the spots. The frog didn’t feel much different in weight to the hotrock its replacing. And on fairly flat routes we ride it shouldn’t make too much difference.

torquil
    Free Member

They are both good, yes the Islabike is lighter but its not a huge difference, there’s a mix of both in my son’s group of riding friends side by side its hard to pick one over the other, I’d say you’ll be happy with either.

Bear in mind the £50 difference will probably be made up when you resell them, Islabikes hold their price so well and if you are happy to post outside the uk you’ll most likely make money on it, I’ve had 3 and made money on them all so far.

torquil
    Free Member

Oh they are both way better than the heavy hotrocks…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Which one Islabikes or Frog Bikes 20" wheels?’ is closed to new replies.