Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Which of these bikes for a mile munching on the road?
  • GoatKarma
    Free Member

I’m riding 165miles on Monday from Stirling to Mallaig (if there isn’t a huge headwind) but can’t decide which bike to take. I need to be there for the last ferry to Skye at 6pm, so will probably set up at 5am just be on the safe side. I don’t need to take any luggage.

Two bikes:

1.Surly Long Haul trucker, fully toured up(32 tyres, mtb gears,rack,mudguards,broken in brookes saddle etc).
    2.Road bike-carbon, small roadie gears, skinny saddle, 23s etc

I know I’d be more comfortable on the LHT due to the sofa saddle and position, but I could go a lot faster on the road bike without using as much effort (the LHT weighs over double the road bike methinks) so it will save my legs. Not sure which to take!!

bristolbiker
    Free Member

The road bike surely (unless the weather is biblical)?!?! You’ll be broken by the end of it with the LHT, esp if there is signficant climbing/draggy roads.

trail_rat
    Free Member

what roads

id take the LHT purely because you want to stay to hell off the a82 AND the A9 – riding the cycle path on a carbon roadie on 23s is a not suggested as its surfaced in gravel / hardcore in alot of places….

druidh
    Free Member

I had a similar dilemma recently when planning a (supported) LeJog. I opted for my touring bike on he basis that it would prove more comfortable for the 10 x 100 mile days. It probably was, but coming back and then jumping on my carbon roadie, I was aware of how much less effort would have been required.

Monday you say…. what route?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Either frame – but with light wheels and light wide tyres.

fisha
    Free Member

i’d go an buy a set of 25’s or 28’s to put on the roadie … best of both worlds.

druidh
    Free Member

trail_rat has a point about the A9 cyclepath. The short section at Drumochter caused me a puncture in June (Ultremo ZXs). Mind you, I also had one puncture in Oldham (Marathons). I’d also avoid the Onich-Fort William section of the A82.

GoatKarma
    Free Member

cheers guys, I’m avoiding most of the A82 and definitely the A9!

I’m going out of Stirling on the A84, which isn’t too bad until the A82 joins it at Crianlarich. Would probably not bother with the sustrans route there though as it is a bit slow and meandering(and puncture-tastic if I use the road bike)! Then have 5 miles of the A82 to Tyndrum(only bit I’m worried about), and then along the A85 to Oban, Connell Bridge, Corran Ferry, Mallaig. Did most of that bit last year when touring and found it fine.

Wider tyres on the road bike seems a sensible option so far..

m1kea
    Free Member

Don’t know the area but based on the distance and time scale, I’d go with what you can peddle the fastest.

Averaging 20mph (which is not easy) = 8:15 so you’re realistically looking at 10+ hours, especially if it’s hilly etc etc.

Road bike IMO.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I’ve done 300k audaxes on 23’s no problem, and that was on an unforgiving ally cannondale. Provided the rain holds off and you can keep the puncture fairy at bay …

It is less of a battering on 32’s … but also slower.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Anything that will make it easy to go faster/further for the same effort. Take the road bike unless your planning to go off road. Maybe fit some fatter tyres and run them softer to make it more comfortable.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

if the brooks is so comfy can you put it on the road bike? no one will know it’s there (until you honk out the saddle) 😆

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Which of these bikes for a mile munching on the road?’ is closed to new replies.