Viewing 33 posts - 81 through 113 (of 113 total)
  • Which of these 2 cars and why ?
  • porter_jamie

Whichever one is automatic. Changing gear yourself Is for the lower classes, don’t you know

downshep

What torture implement to force iainc to make a f***** decision about his next company car?

PS The Beemer is better to drive and you are used to it, the Audi is better in shit weather and you live up a big hill.

First…..world…..problems.

iainc

now now downshep 🙂 you sit in it enough when we go riding ! 🙂

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Then the BMW ‘being better to drive’ is almost irrelevant.

Why ?

I was assuming the much peddled BMW is the ‘ultimate driving machine’ for making progress etc. – but if you’re stuck in a traffic jam all the way to work and back then being able to corner slightly betterer is a bit of a moot point.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ah but at least when you get to a roundabout you can turn the traction off and get the back end out, where as the Audi at best will just understeer out

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Or you could just go around the roundabout sensibly like everyone else…? 😀

angeldust
    Free Member

The Audi dsg box is perfect imo, fantastically smooth, put in sport mode if you want to make progress

angeldust
    Free Member

Must be getting old, last thing I want to do on a roundabout is get the rear end out like a bellend

jimw
    Free Member

Audi.

Although in my experience , once having had a 4wd, it does rather limit your choices next time round. I would not buy a 2wd again if I could avoid it. I took the Quattro decision 12 years ago and haven’t regretted it. I did have a dalliance with a 2wd 330D about 10’years ago and sold it within a year.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Or you could just go around the roundabout sensibly like everyone else…?

Life is too short not to have a bit of fun / drive an Audi 😀

shifter
    Free Member

Another reason to choose the Audi – VAG climate control is much better than BMW’s IME.

johndoh
    Free Member

if you want to make progress

Unless you want to make progress immediately rather than wait the 2 seconds until the awful ‘box has decided to engage.

I hate mine, passionately. Just a year to go then I say goodbye and return to the wonderful world of manual cars.

Gary_M
    Free Member

What torture implement to force iainc to make a f***** decision about his next company car?

Give him a break, it’s only his 10th post on the subject in 7 months. He’s clealry excited, just a little undecided, although the decision was almost made 7 months ago 🙂

Its is down to a Passat Alltrack or a Volvo XC60 (awd). there is nowt in it, money wise.

mmannerr

Unless you want to make progress immediately rather than wait the 2 seconds until the awful ‘box has decided to engage.

I hate mine, passionately. Just a year to go then I say goodbye and return to the wonderful world of manual cars.
    Right. And what was the car in question, any big (heavy) car with turbodiesel is probably not going to be any faster with manual but just feels like it?
    Preference for manual is fine by me, I just don’t like it in typical commuting traffic. My commute has 36 traffic lights over 20km distance and speed limits from 30 to 100km/h. I usually take the bus 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

Right. And what was the car in question, any big (heavy) car with turbodiesel is probably not going to be any faster with manual but just feels like it?

No, it is the delay in the gears engaging. It is a known issue with that box. I have a 3.0l turbo diesel with 220bhp – it isn’t just sluggish because of the weight, it’s the box.

iainc

Hey Gary – you’re stalking skills are excellent 🙂 and there’s me helping you out about your road bike brakes too….

anyway, yes, lots of indecision, massively aided by the wisdom of STW, which genuinely has given me a load of information that I would otherwise not have had.

I am now decided (nearly… 🙂 ) on the Audi, just waiting for Glasgow Audi and Parks BMW to give me their best prices next week – I have mailed them all the CarWow type good deals 🙂

Thanks folks

Gary_M
    Free Member

Hey Gary – you’re stalking skills are excellent and there’s me helping you out about your road bike brakes too….

I couldn’t resist. 🙂

scuttler

Assuming that the cycle of the majority of tossers driving BMW > Audi > Merc > BMW (could another brand interrupt the cycle?) continues on around a 3 years per brand, we’re due a resurgence of tossers driving Beemers in about 2 years, whereas it’ll be another 5 before Audis are back in favour.

tlr

I have the A6 245hp 3L diesel, couple of years old, and I have never once had a single thought about the auto box being terrible. I had the previous version with an manual which was fine, but I always thought that the big engine and heavy car needed an auto. Do you think that there is a fault in yours?

I would struggle to go back to a manual now for that sort of vehicle, and I have been lucky enough to own and drive quite a few very sporty cars which are considered to be for ‘proper drivers’ and suit a manual gearbox, but for that kind of car I would stick with auto every time.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Have you enquired how much it is to come out of contract early?

For my BMW it was £400 in the last year. I’ve terminated early to swap to a better spec cheaper car.. a BMW with 8 speed auto box 😯

johndoh
    Free Member

Have you enquired how much it is to come out of contract early?

My business partner is doing so (he deals with cars). It is a 4 year lease and I have heard that they are often keen to take them back at three years as the residuals are much more in their favour.

johnnystorm

Audi, I’ve stopped being able to tell the difference between how modern cars drive so comfort, winter traction, and the lazy gearbox win it for me. 😀

johndoh
    Free Member

I have the A6 245hp 3L diesel, couple of years old

It might be that yours has the improved box (as I said earlier – or in another thread), I have had a courtesy car and the box is much improved. Mine is three years old.

mmannerr

I didn’t think that even Multitronic with 2.0 TFSI and 1.8 TFSi was not so bad that manual would have been better. With q models the box is DSG model and is much more snappy. Having said that, I think BMW 8 speed auto feels better than any Audis so far but I have had it only for a month.

Having never owned car with flappy shifters I can’t say whether I would prefer fixed or moving ones but in this video the fixed ones do not look too handy:

iainc

oh well, local BMW dealer just came back with a great offer on an auto version of original one 🙂

50k miles service pack included as well, hmmmm…..

just need the updated Audi figures now 🙂

Daffy

The BMW 8sp auto is a fabulous thing. They also generally drive better, but in recent models, you can only really tell if you’re starting to push your/its ability.

Quattro tends to kill the nice steering feel for me, both on Audi’s and BMW (X-Drive).

The Audi is a nice place to sit, but I find the 5 a bit more comfortable, especially in SE trim.

Does the Audi actually come close to its claimed emissions or have they simply found a way to cheat the test?

With both on an equal footing, with an Auto Gearbox? The 5. it’s a beautifully understated car.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The power of being a buyer in difficult times 🙂 As I said my mate got 12% off his Q7. Two great cars.

iainc

^^^^ indeed, both of them are being offered with between 17 and 20% off list price on 4 yr/20k miles pa PCP’s with small deposit..

Defender
    Free Member

Nobeer the Jazz gets a lot of stick but its a great little car and superb bike carrier with seats folded flat”.

Yes, it’s a very practical car, my elderly Mothers wheelchair pops behind the front seat curtousy of the ‘magic seats’, getting bikes in is very easy too. It’s not exciting or a stunning drivers car, just a good ordinary everyday car, and has the advantage of being a Honda!

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Nobeer the Jazz gets a lot of stick but its a great little car and superb bike carrier with seats folded flat”.

Apart from the rather clever space created when the rear seats are folded, be under no illusion, the Jazz is rubbish from a driving point of view.

iainc

All prices in, less than £20 a month between them so nowt in it really. That’s for the auto versions of both, with only difference being the Audi having 4wd…..(the Audi is actually the cheaper one)

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

The thing I liked about the Audi were that it has a nicer cabin/cockpit/whatever and had better acceleration when stomping on the poer pedal.
    I prefered the drive of the BMW and that there was a manual option on the auto (can’t remember if the Audi had this as the auto box was so good).

Defender
    Free Member

“Apart from the rather clever space created when the rear seats are folded, be under no illusion, the Jazz is rubbish from a driving point of view”

It really depends what you’re comparing it with and what your expectations are?

Viewing 33 posts - 81 through 113 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Which of these 2 cars and why ?’ is closed to new replies.