Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • which non estate car for putting bikes in?
  • Bregante

Not sure if you want new or s/h but my Honda FRV has been an amazing bike lugger over the years. Can get my large Gyro in with both wheels on due to the cabin being stupidly wide and square yet its much shorter and only fractionally wider than a Mondeo.

I_Ache
    Free Member

But the ergonomics of the front seats are weird now, not sure how good they are for big folk.

I’m 6ft and about 15.5st and mine are very comfortable. Granted they are recaros so are different to the usual seats.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I can get my hardtails in my Focus without either wheel off, everything else needs the front wheel off and the DH bike I think needs them both off.

If you’re looking at that size vehicle and second hand you can’t beat the Focus for value for money. I researched extensively and there’s just so many of them that you’ll get a lower mileage, better condition one for the same money as the other options.

Really rate mine.

Edric64
    Free Member

Honda Accord hatch takes my tandem with the wheels out and only the 60%split seat down or a whole bike with both wheels in

Pz_Steve

Another vote for the Fabia estate here.

dragon – Member
    Skoda Fabia….estate…cavernous inside but small on the outside
    Surely it is quite narrow? My VW Polo which is the same platform is noticeably narrower inside than the next platform up, the one used for the VW Golf, Audi A3, Skoda Octavia etc.

This narrowness is a bonus to me. Lots of narrow lanes round here, and being in something the same width as a Polo is brilliant. And it’s only 4239mm long (more than 1ft shorter than a Focus estate and 2ft shorter than a Mondeo hatch). I can get a 29-er in with wheels on ok. Three with the front wheel off. Truly, it’s uncanny!

£20RFL. 60mpg if you go steady (50mpg if you cane it). Cheap insurance and reliable, in my exerience…

ETA Have a look at Seat Ibiza etsate if you can’t face the Skoda badge. Same thing, more or less.

HansRey

What about something American? I hired a dodge charger this summer in the USA and I borrowed a rumblefish XL 29er. Could fit it in with both wheels on the bike. And it wasn’t an estate!

flashes
    Free Member

@flashes how do you get the bike into an A1 ?

lying down with passenger seat forward, handlebars pointing down but not too far forward or my partner would moan…..

I’ve been told I can’t keep the Audi and have to have the Astra or Insignia. So I’ll go with the Astra.

khani
    Free Member

Fiat Doblo..
    We have the 1.9 multijet and it will carry the moon + luggage in comfort..

smiffy

The best non-estate I ever had for putting bikes in was a Porsche 924. Amazing vehicle.

coolbeanz
    Free Member

I drive a little 1998 Ford Fiesta MK IV and can pack two bikes into the back with ease (with the seats folded down). Once I took it on a mountain bike tour around Scotland with a mate, so we also had a load of luggage and camping gear besides the two bikes – wasn’t a problem. People are always amazed how much you can squeeze into it. Sadly, I have just bought a saloon, so the Fiesta will need to go.

T1000
    Free Member

lots of Skoda’s have interior cycle carrier options

from the Fabia upwards which are excellent

bellys
    Free Member

Mazda 6 hatchback 4bikes all with wheels on lay flat (mine was on top.) with back seats dropped..

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘which non estate car for putting bikes in?’ is closed to new replies.